Rockies outfielders in trade talks

Whisox05

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 06:45 PM)
I would much rather go after Dickerson

Dickerson fits the mold of what the Sox are looking for as far as being young and under team control, for four more years. I assume the Rockies would be interested in Montas, I wonder what else it would take?

Edited by BlackSox13

Coots field really is something huh? Both Blackmon and Dickerson have a sub .700 OPS in their career away from Coors. I know a lot of people have pointed out CarGo has "Struggled" away from Coors too.

Seems as though the market, or really the whole MLB, lacks LH power. With that said, I wouldn't hate taking a chance on Cargo if the price isn't too steep.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 08:53 AM)
Coots field really is something huh? Both Blackmon and Dickerson have a sub .700 OPS in their career away from Coors. I know a lot of people have pointed out CarGo has "Struggled" away from Coors too.

Seems as though the market, or really the whole MLB, lacks LH power. With that said, I wouldn't hate taking a chance on Cargo if the price isn't too steep.

I've seen Cargo hit some absolute bombs at Coors Field. Nothing cheap about that and would have been home runs in any stadium and probably any weather conditions. I think the large outfield at Coors helps his BA, OBP, and obviously OPS, but when it comes to HR's, he has legit power.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 10:13 AM)
Why couldn't Avi start in AAA?

He has no reason to go to AAA. You can send him there and say don't swing the god damn bat at all the first 2 months of the season so he understands what the mystical "strike zone" is, but I doubt that would help him. Avi destroyed the minors based on tools but he would pretty much have to be completely re-coached to be a useful major league player.

But hopefully the Rockies have enough patience to try to deal with him and take a swap of Montas + Avi for CarGo.

Edited by Knackattack

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 11:43 AM)
They have to take Avi too

People..Avi does NOT have to be traded. He has an option. If you acquire someone like Cargo, send Avi down to AAA to work on plate recognition and bring him up when there is a need. He's still fairly cheap.

Not saying you don't move him if you get value in return, but so many people think the Sox HAVE to move him, and that just isnt the case. Having options is never a bad thing. If he fizzles out in AAA, non tender him next year.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
People..Avi does NOT have to be traded. He has an option. If you acquire someone like Cargo, send Avi down to AAA to work on plate recognition and bring him up when there is a need. He's still fairly cheap.

Not saying you don't move him if you get value in return, but so many people think the Sox HAVE to move him, and that just isnt the case. Having options is never a bad thing. If he fizzles out in AAA, non tender him next year.

No one is saying he has to be traded. You misconstrued what I said in a different thread on this same topic. Those of us (most of us) saying to get rid of him are saying that for a couple reasons; the first being that he isn't a good baseball player at this point and has shown that he hasn't adjusted to anything. Yes I know he is still young, but he has spent parts of 3 seasons now in the bigs. The second being if we trade him now then we might actually get a little something for him, or he can be a secondary piece in a trade for a bigger asset. If we do what you said and send him down to AAA then non tender him, what is the point of that?

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 01:14 PM)
No one is saying he has to be traded. You misconstrued what I said in a different thread on this same topic. Those of us (most of us) saying to get rid of him are saying that for a couple reasons; the first being that he isn't a good baseball player at this point and has shown that he hasn't adjusted to anything. Yes I know he is still young, but he has spent parts of 3 seasons now in the bigs. The second being if we trade him now then we might actually get a little something for him, or he can be a secondary piece in a trade for a bigger asset. If we do what you said and send him down to AAA then non tender him, what is the point of that?

Well, plenty of people have said he has to be traded. In fact, someone in this very thread did.

I am fine getting rid of Avi if you can something meaningful for him. I am all about improving the OF defense. But Melky comes first in my mind, and he should DH as much as possible. If you add a quality OF, I am fine with a Eaton-Trayce-Quality OF set-up, but Trayce isn't going to get 600 ABs next year. They'll continue to protect him against RHP, IMO.

Look, I just think $2M is a small price to pay to send a guy who has oodles of talent down to AAA in hopes of him figuring it out at the dish. If he doesn't so what. Its $2M, which is chump changes in todays game.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 07:59 AM)
http://m.rockies.mlb.com/news/article/1594...s?tcid=tw_share

Says the White Sox have been long speculated as a possible landing slot for Carlos Gonzalez but rockies looking at Quintana. Basically they are looking for stating pitching and bullpen help

Can't fault them for asking. Offer Montas, an arm in the minors and Garcia and we'll take 1/3 of CarGo's salary and call it a day.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 07:59 AM)
http://m.rockies.mlb.com/news/article/1594...s?tcid=tw_share

Says the White Sox have been long speculated as a possible landing slot for Carlos Gonzalez but rockies looking at Quintana. Basically they are looking for stating pitching and bullpen help

I love that the writer calls CarGo at 2/$37M a bargain in this environment. I'm sorry, but I don't consider an AAV of $18.5M a bargain (for a second tier player no less) when one of the best OFs in the game just got a $23M AAV. If the Rockies expect anything of significance in return, they'll need to eat some serious salary.

Saying that, I'd much rather have the Sox go after Upton or Cespedes than trade any top prospects for CarGo & salary relief.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 08:11 AM)
I love that the writer calls CarGo at 2/$37M a bargain in this environment. I'm sorry, but I don't consider an AAV of $18.5M a bargain (for a second tier player no less) when one of the best OFs in the game just got a $23M AAV. If the Rockies expect anything of significance in return, they'll need to eat some serious salary.

Saying that, I'd much rather have the Sox go after Upton or Cespedes than trade any top prospects for CarGo & salary relief.

He probably could do better than 2/37 though. Maybe not his AAV but more guaranteed money over 4-5 years.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 08:13 AM)
He probably could do better than 2/37 though. Maybe not his AAV but more guaranteed money over 4-5 years.

Sure, he'd get more years on the open market, but those teams aren't trading prospects for him. Does it really make sense to give up several good prospects for a guy being paid like an elite OF but only has two years of control with his red flags?