Thoughts On The Upcoming Season

Boopa1219

Now that the Sox are making moves and we have a better look at the team that is going to take the field, what do you guys think about the upcoming season? What kind of year is it going to be for the Sox, who needs to step up and who is fighting for their job?

This doesn't need to focus on just the players but this conversation could apply to the coaching staff and the people in the front office.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 09:40 PM)
Now that the Sox are making moves and we have a better look at the team that is going to take the field, what do you guys think about the upcoming season? What kind of year is it going to be for the Sox, who needs to step up and who is fighting for their job?

This doesn't need to focus on just the players but this conversation could apply to the coaching staff and the people in the front office.

We have a lot more moves to make before we know anything

Had a conversation with a friend of mine and we came to conclusion that the Sox should be sellers no matter what happens this year.

They have about $32M+ coming off the books after the season and they should take the upcoming season to acquire as much talent as possible because they can set themselves up to be competitive in the short term, while acquiring long term pieces for the future. They seriously need to consider trading guys like Sale, Quintana, Abreu and Eaton.

I really want to see a full year of Trayce Thompson, I hope he plays CF and Eaton moves to left. On the pitching side of things, I really want to see Dan Jennings take the next step, if he hones in on his control, he could be special.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 09:54 PM)
Had a conversation with a friend of mine and we came to conclusion that the Sox should be sellers no matter what happens this year.

They have about $32M+ coming off the books after the season and they should take the upcoming season to acquire as much talent as possible because they can set themselves up to be competitive in the short term, while acquiring long term pieces for the future. They seriously need to consider trading guys like Sale, Quintana, Abreu and Eaton.

I really want to see a full year of Trayce Thompson, I hope he plays CF and Eaton moves to left. On the pitching side of things, I really want to see Dan Jennings take the next step, if he hones in on his control, he could be special.

So, if we trade for Frazier and sign Upton? You'd still want to sell with all that money coming off the books the next year?

To me here are my thoughts.

1.) Can Trayce Thompson become a everyday major leaguer. Can he hit consistently enough over the course of a season. Can he deal with the adjustments that people will make.

2.) Can Laroche bounce back. Is it a sign of age or did he just have injuries he is over.

3.) Erik Johnson. Can he take the next step and solidify that spot at the back end of the rotation.

4.) Fulmer - can he progress through the system and be the next + arm up.

5.) Eaton - slow start after the contract. Can he just be himself and play hard and keep healthy.

6.) Is Anderson up at the end of the year or in 2017.

Here are my thoughts

1.) Let the kids play - I want to see Trayce in CF and Sanchez at 2B both getting the lion's share of the ABs. The sox might have something in both of them but will need to play them everyday to find out. Trayce could very easily go the same route as Randal Grichuk and Brandon Crawford before him, where he has mediocre results in the minors but great tools and it all comes together at the major league level. Sanchez on the other hand could still spend another two years at AAA and would still be age appropriate and he is a switch hitter so power and their hitting tools usually develop last, his glove alone keeps him in the lineup and if he can be league average with his bat he could be something special.

2.) Acquire a corner outfielder that fits with the age and window, Ideally its Heyward as he will likely get an Opt out after 4 years and the market next offseason looks pretty bleak. If they sign Heyward and move Eaton to LF the defense could be elite, if they sign Upton and move Eaton to RF it could be slightly above average.

3.) Keep the pitching core together they were 3rd in the AL behind the Astros and Indians, a full year of Rodon and Johnson/Montas in addition to Sale and Q being in their primes could easily push them to the best in the AL and a dark horse for the wild card and possibly the central.

4.) Keep Fulmer, Montas, Anderson, Adams and Michalczewski.

5.) Re-sign Alexei or check in with the braves on Erick Aybar.

Still need another OF and a 2B and/or SS. Preferably both a SS and 2B but one of the MIF can be a short term bridge to Anderson.

I'm not believing in this team until Carlos Sanchez and Tyler Saladino are relegated to the bench or back to Charlotte. I'm also not buying the Sox if Avi and Melky are starting every day in the OF. The DH is whatever, use it get guys days off from the field or whatever.

Right now, assuming Lawrie is about a league average hitter, only 1/3 of the Sox lineup is worth a damn. I can survive with the platoon at catcher and Melky. That leaves DH, SS, 2B and a COF as completely and utterly hopeless. The DH can't be fixed, but the other three can at least be replaced with capable players. This team will still go nowhere if the team defense is still putrid (it's still putrid) and the bottom 3rd of the order will need a miracle to hit 20 HR collectively and bat anything over .240.

If the season started tomorrow my prediction would be last in the AL Central and another protected pick.

I can definitely see the idea of the Sox being big-time sellers if they don't have a good year. Could be as early as the all star break (Danks and Laroche)

Next offseason, you would have Melky, Duke and Lawrie available with only 1 year left, and Robertson with a 2 year contract. Besides a Robertson who continues being great, none would command a haul. But all of them would together would inject a sizable sum of talent into the system.

And then you have the weak free agent starting pitching class to try and exploit with Quintana and/or Sale.

Not the worst position to be in should your team flop in 2016.

Edited by South Sider

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 06:41 AM)
I can definitely see the idea of the Sox being big-time sellers if they don't have a good year. Could be as early as the all star break (Danks and Laroche)

Next offseason, you would have Melky, Duke and Lawrie available with only 1 year left, and Robertson with a 2 year contract. Besides a Robertson who continues being great, none would command a haul. But all of them would together would inject a sizable sum of talent into the system.

And then you have the weak free agent starting pitching class to try and exploit with Quintana and/or Sale.

Not the worst position to be in should your team flop in 2016.

i have one flaw in your post, a major flaw. if the sox haven't been able to trade the bolded, what make you think they can do it after the asg???

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 04:57 AM)
i have one flaw in your post, a major flaw. if the sox haven't been able to trade the bolded, what make you think they can do it after the asg???

1. Teams trade for rentals. If either is having a decent season, it could help the playoff race

2. They are on the hook for only 40% of their annual salary instead of full.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 03:37 PM)
1. Teams trade for rentals. If either is having a decent season, it could help the playoff race

2. They are on the hook for only 40% of their annual salary instead of full.

that is really a wild hope, i mean no offense. i just can't think of something nicer to say.

too much of a gamble.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 12:30 AM)
b/c of my stupid arse prediction of 90 + last yr, i really would like to see how the rest of the off season plays out.

i am still eating the crow pie.

I got a little over excited myself last yr. so I've eaten half of that pie. My hopes are they can get me as excited again with a different outcome. So far so good but we're still a ways away.

QUOTE (AlSoxfan @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 04:28 PM)
I got a little over excited myself last yr. so I've eaten half of that pie. My hopes are they can get me as excited again with a different outcome. So far so good but we're still a ways away.

i know what you mean. i will get really excited when spring training starts. i just can't wait.

btw, pass the salt for this pie. :P

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 10:06 PM)
So, if we trade for Frazier and sign Upton? You'd still want to sell with all that money coming off the books the next year?

My thought only is that I believe we would have to give up too much for two years of Frazier. I'm satisfied, for now, with Lawrie at third. Hopefully another move is made before the end of the winter meetings. I'd love to see the bat of Upton added.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 04:57 AM)

I meant to say the trade deadline, dunno what I was thinking there. Of course, it is contingent on the fact that they are actually playing decently. And, if that's happening, there's a good chance the Sox are winning games. So it is very unlikely those guys get dealt, but still possible under the right circumstance.

My hope for 2016 is that the Sox can somehow win 82 or 83 games and at least have a "winning" season which hasn't happened since 2012. Outside of that I honestly don't expect them to contend realistically so I hope to see a continued building of the minor league system, more acquisition of younger talent, the firing of Robin Ventura (and the hiring of a legit manager for 2017) and the selling off at the deadline of more pieces who really don't have a future with the organization. (Hello...LaRoche to cite one example...)

Keep building for 2017 then be aggressive next off season.

Mark

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 11:06 PM)
Here are my thoughts

1.) Let the kids play - I want to see Trayce in CF and Sanchez at 2B both getting the lion's share of the ABs. The sox might have something in both of them but will need to play them everyday to find out.

100% agree. Sox desperate need the defense especially (as well as OBP and power). I actually like Lawrie at 3B much more than 2B. Get a defensive SS (with a good OBP.. shouldn't be too hard Hahn.. :lol:) and a corner OF bat with good OBP and power. (Average to above D) and I like the way we're looking.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 12:06 AM)
Here are my thoughts

1.) Let the kids play - I want to see Trayce in CF and Sanchez at 2B both getting the lion's share of the ABs. The sox might have something in both of them but will need to play them everyday to find out. Trayce could very easily go the same route as Randal Grichuk and Brandon Crawford before him, where he has mediocre results in the minors but great tools and it all comes together at the major league level. Sanchez on the other hand could still spend another two years at AAA and would still be age appropriate and he is a switch hitter so power and their hitting tools usually develop last, his glove alone keeps him in the lineup and if he can be league average with his bat he could be something special.

2.) Acquire a corner outfielder that fits with the age and window, Ideally its Heyward as he will likely get an Opt out after 4 years and the market next offseason looks pretty bleak. If they sign Heyward and move Eaton to LF the defense could be elite, if they sign Upton and move Eaton to RF it could be slightly above average.

3.) Keep the pitching core together they were 3rd in the AL behind the Astros and Indians, a full year of Rodon and Johnson/Montas in addition to Sale and Q being in their primes could easily push them to the best in the AL and a dark horse for the wild card and possibly the central.

4.) Keep Fulmer, Montas, Anderson, Adams and Michalczewski.

5.) Re-sign Alexei or check in with the braves on Erick Aybar.

I actually cannot stop thinking about that configuration. How wonderful would it be to watch that kind of defense day in and day out, after these past several years of watching the likes of Viciedo, De Aza, Avi and Melky stinking up the joint in the outfield. Not to mention the number of stressful innings it would save the pitching staff.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 04:54 PM)
My hope for 2016 is that the Sox can somehow win 82 or 83 games and at least have a "winning" season which hasn't happened since 2012. Outside of that I honestly don't expect them to contend realistically so I hope to see a continued building of the minor league system, more acquisition of younger talent, the firing of Robin Ventura (and the hiring of a legit manager for 2017) and the selling off at the deadline of more pieces who really don't have a future with the organization. (Hello...LaRoche to cite one example...)

Keep building for 2017 then be aggressive next off season.

Mark

being aggressive in 2017.... maybe in the trade front, b/c i really don't see much in the fa market that is projected.