Thoughts On The Upcoming Season

Boopa1219

Commenting on the title of the thread, as of today we are lightyears behind the Royals and probably Minnesota and Detroit too. If Cleveland truly is improved, we're last place. That could change if Hahn makes some significant deals this offseason.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 10:06 PM)
So, if we trade for Frazier and sign Upton? You'd still want to sell with all that money coming off the books the next year?

I don't want them anywhere near the team.

Todd Frazier is not worth Tim Anderson or Carson Fulmer in my opinion and Justin Upton is not worth giving up having three draft picks in the top 48.

If you want an outfield bat, go get Cespedes, since he has no QO attached.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 09:33 PM)
No offense taken, but I'd like to hear you elaborate on the said "gamble" in that scenario.

where i was going, esp in light of the rpt of Laroche to pitt with 8 mil, i really do not see any hope what so ever in trading danks and laroche. now or even when the season start and at the trade deadline.

hoping and counting on then or penciling them for a trade, that is the gamble. i see them as untraceable.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 02:45 PM)
I don't want them anywhere near the team.

Todd Frazier is not worth Tim Anderson or Carson Fulmer in my opinion and Justin Upton is not worth giving up having three draft picks in the top 48.

If you want an outfield bat, go get Cespedes, since he has no QO attached.

I think you value a comp draft pick a little too high.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 02:46 PM)
where i was going, esp in light of the rpt of Laroche to pitt with 8 mil, i really do not see any hope what so ever in trading danks and laroche. now or even when the season start and at the trade deadline.

hoping and counting on then or penciling them for a trade, that is the gamble. i see them as untraceable.

while we don't hope for the Sox to have a bad year, the OP clearly stated that the Sox are out of the race and becomes seller at the trade deadline in the said scenario. At that point, you aren't counting on trading LaRoche or Danks to get back a major piece, but rather salvaging them for whatever low-mid level prospects you could get and getting out of paying for remaining of their salary. I don't think that's a gamble by any means.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 10:04 PM)
while we don't hope for the Sox to have a bad year, the OP clearly stated that the Sox are out of the race and becomes seller at the trade deadline in the said scenario. At that point, you aren't counting on trading LaRoche or Danks to get back a major piece, but rather salvaging them for whatever low-mid level prospects you could get and getting out of paying for remaining of their salary. I don't think that's a gamble by any means.

tell me, do you really think that the sox can trade them, even of a low minor league prospect????

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 03:26 PM)
tell me, do you really think that the sox can trade them, even of a low minor league prospect????

If LaRoche bounce back and hit .240 and with HR in the mid teens, or Danks has an ERA in the low 4.00 (which isn't out of the question), then they would fit a need for some teams in the race. For comparison sake, that's similar to the numbers that Aramis Ramirez and Matt Latos put up when they were traded last season. I still don't see these routine trade deadline deals of expiring contracts as gambles by any measure.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 11:28 PM)
If LaRoche bounce back and hit .240 and with HR in the mid teens, or Danks has an ERA in the low 4.00 (which isn't out of the question), then they would fit a need for some teams in the race. For comparison sake, that's similar to the numbers that Aramis Ramirez and Matt Latos put up when they were traded last season. I still don't see these routine trade deadline deals of expiring contracts as gambles by any measure.

ok, i can see that we agree to disagree. ;)

Best case scenario, win 82-83 games to claim a "winning" season, then let Ventura leave and hire a legit major league manager with experience and bring in a solid, professional staff. Not friends of the owner or former players. As many baseball people with ZERO ties to the Sox as possible.

Worst case scenario (and unfortunately more likely) they get off to another horrid start (haven't has a winning April since 2009) are irrelevant again by Memorial Day and decide since they aren't going anywhere to keep Ventura because they have no other option. They waste another year of the "three year window" LOL!!!! And get even more lost in the Cubs completely dominating their own home market pushing them more and more into an afterthought.

Mark

I like the moves so far. Buying low on bounce back candidates sure beats paying good money for guys to come to Chicago to die. If players are going to suck let their salary or what we gave up for them reflect that. Players being terrible making $10M+ /year takes the wind out of our sails .

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 02:35 AM)
I like the moves so far. Buying low on bounce back candidates sure beats paying good money for guys to come to Chicago to die. If players are going to suck let their salary or what we gave up for them reflect that. Players being terrible making $10M+ /year takes the wind out of our sails .

the sox have being doing that since the 80's. lost on that rt many times and a very little success. esp when the sox needed to make a really strong move.

but i have a feeling that is what is going to happen. until danks and laroche contract comes off the books. in that case, maybe even melky.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 01:17 PM)
Best case scenario, win 82-83 games to claim a "winning" season, then let Ventura leave and hire a legit major league manager with experience and bring in a solid, professional staff. Not friends of the owner or former players. As many baseball people with ZERO ties to the Sox as possible.

Worst case scenario (and unfortunately more likely) they get off to another horrid start (haven't has a winning April since 2009) are irrelevant again by Memorial Day and decide since they aren't going anywhere to keep Ventura because they have no other option. They waste another year of the "three year window" LOL!!!! And get even more lost in the Cubs completely dominating their own home market pushing them more and more into an afterthought.

Mark

What a great fan!