Plans for rest of the Off Season

GGajewski18

Remember, keep this thread strictly to plans of what Sox could/should do given the current moves already. Do not stray off topic.

Sign OF Justin Upton 6 years/125 million

Trade OF Avail Garcia, SS Tim Anderson, SP Frankie Montas, and 2B Micah Johnson to the Reds for Todd Frazier

Trade RP Zach Putnam to the Diamondbacks for Competitive B Draft Pick

Trade 1B Adam LaRoche + Cash to the Pirates for 1 lower level minor leaguer

Lineup:

LF Adam Eaton (L)

DH Melky Cabrera (S)

1B Jose Abreu

RF Justin Upton

3B Todd Frazier

2B Brett Lawrie

C Alex Avila/Dioner Navarro (L) (S)

CF Trayce Thompson

SS Tyler Saladino

2B/SS Carlos Sanchez (S), OF J.B Shuck (L), C Alex Avila (L)/Dioner Navarro (S), Rule 5 pick/FA/Mike Olt

Rotation:

SP Chris Sale (L)

SP Jose Quintana (L)

SP Carlos Rodon (L)

SP Erik Johnson

SP John Danks (L)

Bullpen:

RP Jacob Turner (long man)

RP Jake Petricka

RP Dan Jennings (L)

RP Tommy Kahnle

RP Zach Duke (L)

RP Nate Jones

CP David Robertson

Thoughts?

Edited by SoxPride18

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 08:58 AM)
Remember, keep this thread strictly to plans of what Sox could/should do given the current moves already. Do not stray off topic.

Trade OF Avail Garcia, SS Tim Anderson, SP Frankie Montas, and 2B Micah Johnson to the Reds for Todd Frazier

Lineup:

LF Adam Eaton (L)

DH Melky Cabrera (S)

1B Jose Abreu

RF Justin Upton

3B Todd Frazier

2B Brett Lawrie

CF Trayce Thompson

SS Tyler Saladino

2B/SS Carlos Sanchez (S), OF J.B Shuck (L), C Alex Avila (L)/Dioner Navarro (S), Rule 5 pick/FA/Mike Olt

Rotation:

SP Chris Sale (L)

SP Jose Quintana (L)

SP Carlos Rodon (L)

SP Erik Johnson

SP John Danks (L)

Bullpen:

RP Jake Petricka

RP Dan Jennings (L)

RP Tommy Kahnle

RP Zach Duke (L)

RP Nate Jones

CP David Robertson

Thoughts?

This would make me very happy.

I've been reading that the Dodgers are trying to get a third team involved to work out a trade for Jose Fernandez. I'm wondering if something like this could work?

Dodgers get:

RHP Jose Fernandez

RHP Frankie Montas

OF Marcell Ozuna

White Sox get:

RF Yasiel Puig

Marlins get:

LHP Julio Urias

OF Joc Peterson

SS Tim Anderson

C Austin Barnes

The winter meetings were slow, and it seemed that way for the whole league. There are some big pieces out there that, once moved/signed, will start a domino effect. I think once Heyward signs, the other free agent OFers will follow quickly.

I see the Sox signing either Upton or Cespedes...more likely Upton.

I'd like to see another big bat acquired, but I don't see Frazier. The asking price is too high, and the Sox (hopefully) won't part with Anderson.

Beyond the signing of an outfielder, I'm not sure much more happens.

Next year's off season should be much more active with a bunch of money coming off the books.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 09:48 AM)
I've been reading that the Dodgers are trying to get a third team involved to work out a trade for Jose Fernandez. I'm wondering if something like this could work?

Dodgers get:

RHP Jose Fernandez

RHP Frankie Montas

OF Marcell Ozuna

White Sox get:

RF Yasiel Puig

Marlins get:

LHP Julio Urias

OF Joc Peterson

SS Tim Anderson

C Austin Barnes

You don't trade for Puig right now.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 09:48 AM)

Dodgers get:

RHP Jose Fernandez

RHP Frankie Montas

OF Marcell Ozuna

White Sox get:

RF Yasiel Puig

Marlins get:

LHP Julio Urias

OF Joc Peterson

SS Tim Anderson

C Austin Barnes

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 09:50 AM)
You don't trade for Puig right now.

Especially Montas and Anderson.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 09:54 AM)
I don't see the Sox signing Cespedes or Upton. Why not trade for Puig? Because of his off-the-field issues in LA?

I think they're referring to his recent domestic violence incident, not just the standard "guy's a d***." I don't know the latest on it so I won't offer my opinion.

Lineup:

LF Adam Eaton (L)

DH Melky Cabrera (S)

1B Jose Abreu

RF Justin Upton

3B Todd Frazier

2B Brett Lawrie

CF Trayce Thompson

SS Tyler Saladino

Rotation:

SP Chris Sale (L)

SP Jose Quintana (L)

SP Carlos Rodon (L)

SP Erik Johnson

SP John Danks (L)

Bullpen:

RP Jake Petricka

RP Dan Jennings (L)

RP Tommy Kahnle

RP Zach Duke (L)

RP Nate Jones

CP David Robertson

Thoughts?

Exactly the kind of thread I wanted to start today!! Justin Upton! I was thinking 5 years for $125 mil. A nice fit for the Cell. We need that power bat and then go onto the next priority. Get Upton!!

Yowzers. That' a ton for Frazier. He batted .234 in 2013 with 19 homers. Sorry, but I'm not giving up that much for 2 years of him. Also I really don't even want him

All I want is:

Move Melky to DH, Make Garcia a 4OF, and free up LaRoche off this team.

With that we have flexibility. I'm not a huge believer in Trayce, but think he has a spot in CF where he can bat .240 with 15HR and good tools. Move Eaton to LF. And acquire a RF with offense and the capability to not look like Garcia out there.

With this? I am happy.

I also would like to sign a pitcher .. a lower end one. Petit would have been one I liked. Or Chris Young. Basically a dependable 5/6 guy. If we do perform and win this year I just don't want to rely on Erik Johnson and Danks all year. Plus injuries do happen.

Lineup:

LF Adam Eaton (L)

DH Melky Cabrera (S)

1B Jose Abreu

RF Justin Upton

3B Todd Frazier

2B Brett Lawrie

CF Trayce Thompson

SS Tyler Saladino

Rotation:

SP Chris Sale (L)

SP Jose Quintana (L)

SP Carlos Rodon (L)

SP Erik Johnson

SP John Danks (L)

Bullpen:

RP Jake Petricka

RP Dan Jennings (L)

RP Tommy Kahnle

RP Zach Duke (L)

RP Nate Jones

CP David Robertson

Thoughts?

That's an overpay for Frazier. Reds will either budge off Anderson or Frazier won't be a White Sox

I really don't think the Sox will be signing a player with a pick attached. Beat writers have beensaying they don't believe the Sox will. If they end up doing a trade for the likes of Frazier or carlos gonzalez or who ever else they will need those 3 picks in the top 50 to recoup what they traded away. Plus this is the first time the Sox had those type of picks in a while especially 2 in the top 30 in a long time. Chance for the sox to stock up on better and quality talent. So if they clear space for an outfielder I can see going for Cespedes. He's also carries energy which should help in the club house which the Sox need to go along with Lawrie and eaton.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)
I think they're referring to his recent domestic violence incident, not just the standard "guy's a d***." I don't know the latest on it so I won't offer my opinion.

At this point, the most recent incident is only about 2 weeks old. There's no way to know what MLB's investigative team will do or how they'll treat these - there's literally no precedent since it's a brand new rule. You could very readily trade for him and then lose him for a substantial amount of time to a suspension. Same reason the Dodgers Chapman deal is currently "on hold".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 11:10 AM)
At this point, the most recent incident is only about 2 weeks old. There's no way to know what MLB's investigative team will do or how they'll treat these - there's literally no precedent since it's a brand new rule. You could very readily trade for him and then lose him for a substantial amount of time to a suspension. Same reason the Dodgers Chapman deal is currently "on hold".

@JonHeymanCBS Dodgers have moved on from chapman and are weighing Andrew miller among other pitchers and also hitters

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 11:25 AM)
@JonHeymanCBS Dodgers have moved on from chapman and are weighing Andrew miller among other pitchers and also hitters

What about our own David Robertson. I liked the signing of Robertson last year and would not mind keeping him. But, I wonder what his worth is? If Hahn could trade him for another position player who could help why not deal him. Why not look at our own organization and try to develop a young arm into a closer?

QUOTE (Saufley @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 11:31 AM)
What about our own David Robertson. I liked the signing of Robertson last year and would not mind keeping him. But, I wonder what his worth is? If Hahn could trade him for another position player who could help why not deal him. Why not look at our own organization and try to develop a young arm into a closer?

Who would the closer be for the Sox if he was moved?

I feel like if the Sox want to compete, they need an elite closer.

We all remember the 'closer by committee' disaster in 2014. I don't want a repeat of that.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 12:31 PM)

I'd listen on Robertson but I'm also ok with Robin having one expensive "security blanket" that he can blame when a game falls apart at the end. If someone gave a good offer ok...but a team looking to compete right now still has a better option in Melancon. FA after next year, Pirates will definitely move him for the right package.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 11:33 AM)
Who would the closer be for the Sox if he was moved?

I feel like if the Sox want to compete, they need an elite closer.

We all remember the 'closer by committee' disaster in 2014. I don't want a repeat of that.

As I said in my post, what about developing a closer from our organization. With all of these young power arms is there a closer there?

Robertson is one of our real chips for a trade and it might be worth to trade. Just throwing out ideas.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 12:06 PM)
As I said in my post, what about developing a closer from our organization. With all of these young power arms is there a closer there?

Robertson is one of our real chips for a trade and it might be worth to trade. Just throwing out ideas.

I guess so, but I feel like it's too early to put Montas or Fulmer into that role and Nate Jones isn't good enough.

Who knows.