Plans for rest of the Off Season

GGajewski18

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 08:16 AM)
Think I would rather have 1 year of LaRoche at 13M than 3 years of Shields totaling 65M including a 2019 buyout of 2M. The SOX would be doing SD a huge favor. No thank you, Shields is SD's problem.

this too in another salary dump i was looking at, yeah he did have a decent yr with ref to stats, but i am going to continue to battle this cliche, he is best suited for a NL team. in the AL team those stats will be watered down.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 05:37 AM)
this too in another salary dump i was looking at, yeah he did have a decent yr with ref to stats, but i am going to continue to battle this cliche, he is best suited for a NL team. in the AL team those stats will be watered down.

Shields is regressing badly and here's why I'm so against the idea. 2014 ERA 3.21 FIP 3.59 in the AL, 2015 ERA 3.91 FIP 4.45. That's a pretty significant spike considering he went from the AL to the NL and pitched 2015 in a pitchers park.

Us Sox fans went through four years of Dunn and Danks contracts, one more year of LaRoche will not kill us. At the time, the move made sense since the Sox needed a left handed power bat and the market was thin on those players. Sometimes things don't work out.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 12:47 PM)
Shields is regressing badly and here's why I'm so against the idea. 2014 ERA 3.21 FIP 3.59 in the AL, 2015 ERA 3.91 FIP 4.45. That's a pretty significant spike considering he went from the AL to the NL and pitched 2015 in a pitchers park.

Us Sox fans went through four years of Dunn and Danks contracts, one more year of LaRoche will not kill us. At the time, the move made sense since the Sox needed a left handed power bat and the market was thin on those players. Sometimes things don't work out.

4 yrs left on that contract..... that hurts esp toward the end of the contract.

now if they, the Padres want to make it work, they will need to sweeten the pot, add their prospects that are ranked #2 and 3 and throw in sp/rp prospect Mazzoni .... then maybe just maybe.

Sign OF Justin Upton 6 years/128 million

Trade OF Avisail Garcia, SP Frankie Montas, SS Tim Anderson, 2B Micah Johnson to the Reds for Todd Frazier and SS Zack Cozart

Reason for the trade for Reds: Anderson and Montas hurt, but that is the cost to bring in guys that have 4 years of control together. Micah and Avi really don't have a spot on this team due to bad defense/under achieving play. Could also argue that Montas could end up in the bullpen. But, this trade does give the Reds 2 top 100 prospects, a player they could fit in their OF, and a 2B that may replace Phillips.

Reason for the trade for Sox: Frazier brings that middle of the lineup pop that the Sox desperately need at a premier position. Cozart is a really good glove that can hit a bit better than Saladino. Adding him to the deal makes losing Anderson a little sting out of it.

The deal could also flip Avi and Thompson if Reds prefer him. Avi could platoon with LaRoche at the DH spot.

CF Adam Eaton (L)

LF Melky Cabrera (S)

1B Jose Abreu

RF Justin Upton

3B Todd Frazier

DH Adam LaRoche (L)/Trayce Thompson

2B Brett Lawrie

C Alex Avila (L)/Dioner Navarro (S)

SS Zack Cozart

Bench:

2B/SS Carlos Sanchez (S), UTIL Tyler Saladino, C Alex Avila (L)/Dioner Navarro (S), 1B Adam LaRoche (L)/OF Trayce Thompson

Pitching staff is the same as it is now. Thoughts?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
Why would the Reds also give up Cozart?

It would be the equivalent of us trading Adam Eaton...if you want to be realistic, Mesoraco's more of a possibility but also extremely unlikely for a different set of reasons.

Because they're rebuilding? They used Suarez at SS after Cozart got hurt, put an OPS of 780.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 01:12 PM)
Because they're rebuilding? They used Suarez at SS after Cozart got hurt, put an OPS of 780.

Suarez is not the long term solution. He's more likely to end up a utility infielder ala Ramon Santiago.

There's no way they trade Frazier/Cozart/Mesoraco...any combination of two out of three...for less than Anderson/Fulmer but more likely Quintana or Rodon as the target.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 08:08 AM)
Suarez is not the long term solution. He's more likely to end up a utility infielder ala Ramon Santiago.

There's no way they trade Frazier/Cozart/Mesoraco...any combination of two out of three...for less than Anderson/Fulmer but more likely Quintana or Rodon as the target.

Quintana and Rodon has more value than all 3 of those players. Cozart's value isn't that high coming off a torn ACL, not that great of a hitter, but has a solid glove. Cozart's value is probably equal to or less than what we traded for Lawrie.

Also, in my original proposal for Frazier and Cozart, I did include Anderson, AND Montas, Micah, and Avi. That's 2 top 100 prospects, a possible replacement for Phillips at 2B, and an OF with MLB experience that still has potential. I did also mention that Thompson could replace Avi in the deal and LaRoche and Avi could platoon at DH.

Sign Cespedes and Matsuda

Trade Montas, Avi, and Leyer for Blackmon

Find away to get rid of Laroche while saving at least 3-5 million

Eaton CF

Blackmon LF

Cespedes RF

Abreu 1B

Melky DH

Lawrie 2B

Matsuda 3B

Avila/Navarro C

Saladino SS

Trayce and Sanchez used as super utility guys and defensive replacements.

Sale

Q

Rodon

EJ

Danks

Turner/Kahnle

Jennings

Putnam

Petricka

Duke

Jones

Robertson

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 08:08 AM)

Then they won't be trading with the White Sox, and likely will be holding those three while they lose 90-100 games the next two years.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 03:37 PM)
Then they won't be trading with the White Sox, and likely will be holding those three while they lose 90-100 games the next two years.

yes you got that right, and that is all that i care about. but someone will pay price that cincy wants.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 08:14 AM)
Quintana and Rodon has more value than all 3 of those players. Cozart's value isn't that high coming off a torn ACL, not that great of a hitter, but has a solid glove. Cozart's value is probably equal to or less than what we traded for Lawrie.

Also, in my original proposal for Frazier and Cozart, I did include Anderson, AND Montas, Micah, and Avi. That's 2 top 100 prospects, a possible replacement for Phillips at 2B, and an OF with MLB experience that still has potential. I did also mention that Thompson could replace Avi in the deal and LaRoche and Avi could platoon at DH.

The Tigers and I think one other team already moved Suarez...I'll put it this way, trading Cozart or Mesoraco at all-time low values would have been the equivalent of us trading Avi before 2015, which would in hindsight been the wiser move in terms of trade return.

That said, both those guys have put up much more impressive stretches of performance at the big league level than Garcia.

Cozart (healthy) has a ton of value for defense, alone.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)
if the sox does sign a big bat, whomever it is, does anyone think they will continue on players acquisitions.

a 3b... a dh??? maybe a pitcher???

Yes. If we sign Upton or Cespedes, preferably Upton, it only gets us closer. By getting Frazier or another good 3B in trade would make us a playoff contender imo.

Desperate times lead to desperate actions.

Three teams from last year’s playoffs have or are projected to experience significant losses: Kansas City, the Cardinals and the Dodgers .the Royals and the Cardinals lost in the area where the sox also have a need-the outfield(I’m forgetting about Lackey as I think Heyward was a much bigger loss). The Dodgers lost big with Greinke . In the last few days the LA sports sites were talking about how they would have to settle for Cueto. Well that didn’t turn out too good for them either. Their fall back plan seemed to be to create a lights out relief back end with Chapman and Jansen and that fell thru .I think the Dodgers are getting desperate. I think we should see what the return would be for David Robinson.

I would trade Robinson and Thompson to the Dodgers for Puig and Kiki Hernandez and one of their 1st round comp picks.

I would sign Cespedes to a 5 year 1,112,000 (25/25/22/20/20) deal with an opt-out after year 2.

I would sign Alexi Ramirez to a 1year 6.5million deal.

I would trade Avi Garcia and Robinson Leyer to the Rockies for prospects 3rd base Ryan Mc Mahon and catcher Dom Nunez.

I would trade Adam Engel to the New York Mets for 1st base prospect Dominic Smith.

I would trade Mica Johnson to the Pirates for outfield prospect Harold Ramirez.

I know people are going to say that the Puig trade is ridiculous- the Dodgers would never agree to it. But given the circumstances I’m not so sure. They seem to be petrified to trade any of their prospects. It seems Friedman thinks he is still in Tampa Bay.

This would allow them to continue their plan of having a strong back end to their bullpen ( the only option they really have left). Robinson is also signed for three more years while Jansen is only signed for 2016. If Puig is as much of a problem as the rumors say it would solve that problem as well. There have been 3 trades so far this season which were considered significant overpays(Arizona for Miller,Boston for Smith and Huston for Giles) why can’t the dodgers be the fourth? I know I’m rubbing it in to ask for a comp pick but they may be desperate.

On the sox side I think the influence of Abreu, Cespedes and Ramirez would do wonders for Puig.

I am not signing Ramirez just for Puig. The more I thought about it the more I liked Ramirez in a part time role this year.

The bullpen would be weaker but the daily lineup would be much improved and the starting pitching would be unaffected. In addition the sox would have 4 picks among the first 50 in next year’s draft. And by trading Robinson you free up the money for Cespedes as the efforts to unload Laroche seem to be going nowhere.

Fantasy?

QUOTE (2Dbill @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)

Three teams from last year’s playoffs have or are projected to experience significant losses: Kansas City, the Cardinals and the Dodgers .the Royals and the Cardinals lost in the area where the sox also have a need-the outfield(I’m forgetting about Lackey as I think Heyward was a much bigger loss). The Dodgers lost big with Greinke . In the last few days the LA sports sites were talking about how they would have to settle for Cueto. Well that didn’t turn out too good for them either. Their fall back plan seemed to be to create a lights out relief back end with Chapman and Jansen and that fell thru .I think the Dodgers are getting desperate. I think we should see what the return would be for David Robinson.

I would trade Robinson and Thompson to the Dodgers for Puig and Kiki Hernandez and one of their 1st round comp picks.

I would sign Cespedes to a 5 year 1,112,000 (25/25/22/20/20) deal with an opt-out after year 2.

I would trade Avi Garcia and Robinson Leyer to the Rockies for prospects 3rd base Ryan Mc Mahon and catcher Dom Nunez.

I would trade Adam Engel to the New York Mets for 1st base prospect Dominic Smith.

I know people are going to say that the Puig trade is ridiculous- the Dodgers would never agree to it. But given the circumstances I’m not so sure. They seem to be petrified to trade any of their prospects. It seems Friedman thinks he is still in Tampa Bay.

This would allow them to continue their plan of having a strong back end to their bullpen ( the only option they really have left). Robinson is also signed for three more years while Jansen is only signed for 2016. If Puig is as much of a problem as the rumors say it would solve that problem as well. There have been 3 trades so far this season which were considered significant overpays(Arizona for Miller,Boston for Smith and Huston for Giles) why can’t the dodgers be the fourth? I know I’m rubbing it in to ask for a comp pick but they may be desperate.

On the sox side I think the influence of Abreu, Cespedes and Ramirez would do wonders for Puig.

I am not signing Ramirez just for Puig. The more I thought about it the more I liked Ramirez in a part time role this year.

The bullpen would be weaker but the daily lineup would be much improved and the starting pitching would be unaffected. In addition the sox would have 4 picks among the first 50 in next year’s draft. And by trading Robinson you free up the money for Cespedes as the efforts to unload Laroche seem to be going nowhere.

Fantasy?

I don't understand the motive or the feasibility of trading for a couple of 20 year old prospects. Can you elaborate on the rationale for trading Engel and Johnson for Dominic Smith and Harold Ramirez?

QUOTE (2Dbill @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 10:03 PM)

Fantasy?

dang, if i didn't know better, i would swear that you are hawk50 from the blackhawk site i visit.

btw, some of these ideas i like.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 04:21 PM)
I don't understand the motive or the feasibility of trading for a couple of 20 year old prospects. Can you elaborate on the rationale for trading Engel and Johnson for Dominic Smith and Harold Ramirez?

That's what you don't understand about that post? Pretty much every trade proposal is way off base.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 04:21 PM)

Dominic Smith has hit well at every level of the minors and was the MVP of his league last year. The sox have no 1st base prospects of note in their system so I was trying to fill a need.

Ramirez is another prospect who could always hit. I'm trying to buy low on that ability.