Plans for rest of the Off Season

GGajewski18

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:51 PM)
Am I the only one that would like to see Javy Baez on the South Side? I'm intrigued by his potential.

I bet Adams/Danish/Beck and someone else would get him.

Why would Cubs want to move Baez for guys who don't help their short-term world series aspirations?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:53 PM)
Because there's no room for Baez to start the way their roster is currently constructed and they need pitching badly.

Okay...and none of the guys the Cubs get would help them in the near turn. Beck is a fringe starter while Danish and Adams are still a ways away. If the cubs are dangling Baez it is in a larger package for Fernandez or some other good young cost controlled major league arm.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)
Okay...and none of the guys the Cubs get would help them in the near turn. Beck is a fringe starter while Danish and Adams are still a ways away. If the cubs are dangling Baez it is in a larger package for Fernandez or some other good young cost controlled major league arm.

I wouldn't be surprised if Danish and Adams contribute at the MLB level by 2017 or 2018 at the latest, but I see your point.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 06:01 PM)
I do agree it would be nice to get Baez, but unless we are giving them Q or Rodon, it isn't happening (and I'm not implying straight up...we'd need something else). We'd have to dangle or prospects in a 3 team deal (and you aren't getting Baez without Fullmer).

Fulmer for Baez straight up would be an awesome "challenge" trade.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 04:02 PM)
Fulmer for Baez straight up would be an awesome "challenge" trade.

I completely disagree with the above posts^

Fulmer is worth WAY more than Baez at this point. Cubs need to deal him asap as his value has taken a serious hit the past few seasons due to struggles at the major league level. I'm not saying he doesn't have value, but his days of being the centerpiece of a trade are over

Fulmer for Baez is ludicrous as Carson is nearly mlb ready to contribute as soon as this season perhaps. He was college baseball's best pitcher and a legitimate top 40 prospect. I wouldn't deal him unless we were getting an outstanding return as we view him as a rotation piece for years to come

Adams is a piece I would like to keep. I think he projects very well to be a solid #3 at the mlb level, possibly better in a few years.

With the pop we now have at 2b and 3b I'm not really worried about upgrading SS. Put Saladino there and hope he plays GG defense and his bat doesn't kill us. What we do still need is a middle of the order hitting RF and a lefty mashing platoon player that can play OF defense well so LaRoche(if he's still on the team) never see's an AB against a lefty. The RF options are obvious in free agency, but not sure I see the good fielder who hits lefties available in free agency. Would have to be a trade target, but not sure who.

Eaton CF

Melky LF/DH

Upton/Cespedes RF

Abreu 1B

Frazier 3B

Laroche/TBA(OF who plays LF vs lefties and Melky DH's)

Lawrie 2B

Avila/Navarro C

Saladino SS

That looks like a division winning lineup if I've ever seen 1.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 03:53 AM)
With the pop we now have at 2b and 3b I'm not really worried about upgrading SS. Put Saladino there and hope he plays GG defense and his bat doesn't kill us. What we do still need is a middle of the order hitting RF and a lefty mashing platoon player that can play OF defense well so LaRoche(if he's still on the team) never see's an AB against a lefty. The RF options are obvious in free agency, but not sure I see the good fielder who hits lefties available in free agency. Would have to be a trade target, but not sure who.

Eaton CF

Melky LF/DH

Upton/Cespedes RF

Abreu 1B

Frazier 3B

Laroche/TBA(OF who plays LF vs lefties and Melky DH's)

Lawrie 2B

Avila/Navarro C

Saladino SS

That looks like a division winning lineup if I've ever seen 1.

you are correct in soooo many ways it is funny.

however and i still maintain that it is extremely important to add another sp to the rotation. who care if they will to trade for one, on mlbt about Cory Luebke, he can be both the sp if needed or a relief pitcher.

this team will be fun to watch, esp with the 2 bats you were saying.

Edited by LDF

Crazy thought here:

Sign OF Yoenis Cespedes 5 years/110 million

Trade SP Erik Johnson, SS Tim Anderson, SP Spencer Adams and OF Adam Engel to the A's for SP Sonny Gray

CF Adam Eaton

LF Melky Cabrera

1B Jose Abreu

3B Todd Frazier

RF Yoenis Cespedes

DH Adam LaRoche

2B Brett Lawrie

C Alex Avila/Dioner Navarro

SS Tyler Saladino

SP Chris Sale

SP Sonny Gray

SP Jose Quintana

SP Carlos Rodon

SP John Danks

Have 3 picks in top 50 in the next draft.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 03:24 PM)
Crazy thought here:

Trade SP Erik Johnson, SS Tim Anderson, SP Spencer Adams and OF Adam Engel to the A's for SP Sonny Gray

Yeah, it is crazy. Sonny Gray is about the closest comp value wise to Sale. He may be more valuable. Ask yourself, would you be happy with that return for Sale? Hell no! This doesn't even get you remotely close to acquiring Sonny Gray.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 03:27 PM)
Yeah, it is crazy. Sonny Gray is about the closest comp value wise to Sale. He may be more valuable. Ask yourself, would you be happy with that return for Sale? Hell no! This doesn't even get you remotely close to acquiring Sonny Gray.

you're right

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 04:24 PM)
Crazy thought here:

CF Adam Eaton

LF Melky Cabrera

1B Jose Abreu

3B Todd Frazier

RF Yoenis Cespedes

DH Adam LaRoche

2B Brett Lawrie

SS Tyler Saladino

SP Chris Sale

SP Sonny Gray

SP Jose Quintana

SP Carlos Rodon

SP John Danks

I don't think that gets you Gray. Certainly, other teams could beat it.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 01:24 PM)
Crazy thought here:

Yes, please.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
Quick question, if the Mets miss out on a big OF, I wonder if we can somehow pull off a trade for Zack Wheeler. Turning 26 and coming off TJ, not much room for him in that rotation.

Who are you thinking they would want? I think they're still really high on him over there.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 04:24 PM)
Crazy thought here:

CF Adam Eaton

LF Melky Cabrera

1B Jose Abreu

3B Todd Frazier

RF Yoenis Cespedes

DH Adam LaRoche

2B Brett Lawrie

SS Tyler Saladino

SP Chris Sale

SP Sonny Gray

SP Jose Quintana

SP Carlos Rodon

SP John Danks

No Anderson. Fulmer in there instead if anything

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 03:45 PM)
No Anderson. Fulmer in there instead if anything

If you can get Sonny Gray, you give up Anderson and Fulmer, and just about every other prospect of note in our system. But it is never going to happen and not even worth discussing.