Jason Heyward to Cubs (8 yrs 184M)

GGajewski18

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 04:43 PM)
Funny, I started doing some research after I posted that and found this really interesting article on fangraphs as well. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/are-we-unde...he-slugger-now/

Your article did make a good bit of sense though as far as the CF/RF thing goes, although in my opinion I'd say they are assuming kind of a lot with some of their #'s.

Kinda shocking to me that we are still using data that is a decade+ old to evaluate current players though. Like I said, a like of the sabr stuff still goes over my head, but I don't think it takes a mathematician to figure out that the game has changed pretty drastically since the early 00's.

Maybe I'm confused -- what does that have to do with overvaluing the defensive contributions of a RF?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 07:47 PM)
Maybe I'm confused -- what does that have to do with overvaluing the defensive contributions of a RF?

Not a whole lot on that topic, but still on the discussion of defense being overvalued in my opinion. I originally had a longer message but my phone magically deleted it lol...essentially it suggests that defensive position is probably over valued in calculating war due to the fact that it hasn't been updated to the modern game. Only a .6 difference in war between Chris Davis and Jason Heyward according to that more up to date model. But I'm assuming someone such as yourself would laugh if a team gave Davis the same contract as Heyward but 2 years shorter.

With increasing K's and advanced scouting that have shifts on every other at bat the idea of paying a guy based on defense is a gamble I wouldn't take. I don't think Heyward is worth a dime over $130M personally, 7 years 18M per. Guess we'll see who's right in the long run.

Weather Alert: flash flood warning for the North Side of Chicago. A high pressure system of over zealous expectations by fans of that area will produce heavy rains from the eyes of said fans after tropical storm Heyward moves to the DC area. Heavy rains are expected to continue in the wake of tropical storm Heyward indefinitely. Take caution and plan accordingly for provisions such as rain gear, canned food, ear plugs, duct tape and it would be especially beneficial if one knows how to build a boat.

End weather statement.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 07:54 PM)
Weather Alert: flash flood warning for the North Side of Chicago. A high pressure system of over zealous expectations by fans of that area will produce heavy rains from the eyes of said fans after tropical storm Heyward moves to the DC area. Heavy rains are expected to continue in the wake of tropical storm Heyward indefinitely. Take caution and plan accordingly for provisions such as rain gear, canned food, ear plugs, duct tape and it would be especially beneficial if one knows how to build a boat.

End weather statement.

I love you.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 12:34 PM)
There's been some talk/research over the last year or so about this -- there appears to be substantial evidence that the impact of a plus CF vs a plus corner OF is quite overrated. Essentially, when you control for catchability, zone overlap, and the actual difference between the high end defenders and low end ones, the CF doesn't receive nearly as many extra chances as people assume.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/does-outfie...ctually-matter/

Ha I didn't need a study to tell me that. I posted some time ago though, I have no idea which thread ,about advantages that a CF gets because he plays in the middle of the field that corner OF's do not.

I'm pretty sure the main issue I focused on was how a CF can always be at top speed running gap to gap while corner OF's cannot because of the walls down the lines and must also give way to the CF who is in charge of the OF.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 01:30 AM)
The problem is that he will likely not be able to sustain that defensive prowess for the latter years of a 10 year contract.

A good hitter might be able to produce big offensive production in his 30's, but elite defense is a little tougher.

a very good point.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 02:54 AM)

End weather statement.

oh man that was extremely funny and org.

btw i am soooo freaking happy about heyward moving to dc

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 09:02 PM)
oh man that was extremely funny and org.

btw i am soooo freaking happy about heyward moving to dc

I'm just havin' a bit of fun to pass the time. There's probably a heck of a bidding war going on between the Nat's, Angels, Cards and baby bears. Really curious to see which ones caughs up the money and for how much.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 03:07 AM)
I'm just havin' a bit of fun to pass the time. There's probably a heck of a bidding war going on between the Nat's, Angels, Cards and baby bears. Really curious to see which ones caughs up the money and for how much.

oops my bad i thought it was a final verdict. . :lol:

but seriously that was some funny s***.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 09:12 PM)
oops my bad i thought it was a final verdict. . :lol:

but seriously that was some funny s***.

Thank you sir. Just trying to liven things up a bit.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 10:01 AM)
Lots of years and s***tons of money

You aren't kidding!

This could be a fun weekend if Heyward signs today with Cespedes, Upton and Gordon possible signing shortly after Heyward.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 10:20 AM)
19 HR 68 RBI 17 SB 72 BB 123 K .268 AVG .353 OBP .431 SLG .784 OPS

Averages in career.

He hasn't hit more than 14 HR in 4 seasons.

Basically his career averages are close to Adam Eaton's 2015 season.

Well put. That's why I'd prefer Upton.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 10:20 AM)
19 HR 68 RBI 17 SB 72 BB 123 K .268 AVG .353 OBP .431 SLG .784 OPS

Averages in career.

He hasn't hit more than 14 HR in 4 seasons.

Basically his career averages are close to Adam Eaton's 2015 season.

I like advanced stats but in this case I'd agree with the traditional types. He's a really good player. 5-6 WAR player usually. He's an excellent defender and baserunner. If I'm paying $200 million though, I need you to hit for power.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)
I like advanced stats but in this case I'd agree with the traditional types. He's a really good player. 5-6 WAR player usually. He's an excellent defender and baserunner. If I'm paying $200 million though, I need you to hit for power.

His defending and baserunning will seriously regress over the life of that contract. What's left is a borderline starter with a top 10 contract.