Who are the worst players in White Sox history?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 04:44 PM)
Andy Gonzalez. I'm still angry to this day about how much playing time he received.

I can sort of see why Ozzie did that though. He was only 25 at that point and they figured that they might as well give him a chance to see what he had since that was already a lost season.

Needless to say it didn't work out, but I really don't fault Ozzie for that.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 04:52 PM)
Most of these names are from the 90s or later... I'm sure there were some far worse players than Keppinger, Dunn, or Bonifacio during the 1900s.

Kevin Bell. Alan Bannister. Bill Nahorodny.

There you go.

Joel Skinner tanked too.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 04:51 PM)
I would say the signing and subsequent performance of Jaime Navarro set JR back so much that it still impacts the manner in which he runs the team.

i think really came from Britt Burns and Richard Dotson. They were borderline great until the 1983 season and either retired from injury or couldn't pitch effective again. It was also his first few season of being the Chairman of the team.

We do this thread every year, and every year the correct answer is Jaime Navarro. Factor in his salary, playing time, attitude, opportunity cost and general suckiness--his best ERA+ with the Sox was 81!--no one can hold a candle to him in my opinion. His only redeeming quality was that we got Eldred and Valentin for him, leading to the successful 2000 team. Otherwise...yuck. He was the worst.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 04:55 PM)
i think really came from Britt Burns and Richard Dotson. They were borderline great until the 1983 season and either retired from injury or couldn't pitch effective again. It was also his first few season of being the Chairman of the team.

Burns retired after he was traded to the Yankees in 1985, which by some measures was his best year. Dotson had a weird pec injury if I remember correctly, but he remained a serviceable pitcher for a number of years after his prime. In fact, I remember Dotson as being the only pitcher who was as good in '84 as he was the previous year, up until the all star break at least. He was 11-4 w/2.64 era on July 4th and ended the season 14-15 w/3.59 era.

Now, if you want to argue that the huge (for the time) contract he gave to Floyd Bannister, who outside of '83 was a huge disappointment...I could see that. But not Burns and Dot.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 04:51 PM)
I can sort of see why Ozzie did that though. He was only 25 at that point and they figured that they might as well give him a chance to see what he had since that was already a lost season.

Needless to say it didn't work out, but I really don't fault Ozzie for that.

Teams was awful and guys were injured anyway. So it didn't matter.

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 05:12 PM)
Burns retired after he was traded to the Yankees in 1985, which by some measures was his best year. Dotson had a weird pec injury if I remember correctly, but he remained a serviceable pitcher for a number of years after his prime. In fact, I remember Dotson as being the only pitcher who was as good in '84 as he was the previous year, up until the all star break at least. He was 11-4 w/2.64 era on July 4th and ended the season 14-15 w/3.59 era.

Now, if you want to argue that the huge (for the time) contract he gave to Floyd Bannister, who outside of '83 was a huge disappointment...I could see that. But not Burns and Dot.

Those guys were likable and had White Sox success to fall back on. Navarro was a signing that was going to get the Sox back in the thick of things.

He came over from the cubs and sucked the life out of the organization...somewhat similar to Samardzija had he have been extended prior to last season after the Oakland trade.

The White Flag is due in part to the Belle departure and Navarro's failing. This is something that still lingers with your 40 plus year old Sox fans.

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 05:12 PM)

The injuries were what made the issue. Both went from extremely good to bad very quickly. Burns because of the degenerative hip. Dotson had thoracic outlet syndrome where he was losing circulation with his arm over his head. Not good for pitcher. The surgeons had to remove his pectoralis minor.

My point was that he saw how quickly pitchers can go from being really good and young to bad in a short period of time with his best pitchers. They traded hoyt because they thought these guys would be the anchor of the rotation.

He learned early in his tenure about what can happen to pitchers, even young and previuosly healthy ones.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 05:41 PM)
Batters Since 1952:

Name WAR

Luis Alvarado -2.5

Rich Morales -2.1

Greg Norton -1.7

Jeff Abbott -1.7

George Bell -1.6

Avisail Garcia -1.5

Mike Squires -1.1

Mike Caruso -1

Chris Snopek -0.9

Avisail Garcia...ouch.

I'm surprised Leury Garcia isn't on this list though. I guess he didn't play enough games to qualify.