Who are the worst players in White Sox history?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 06:59 PM)
To be fair, Mike Squires was a very good fielding first baseman. Rich Morales was more or less a utility player. I don't have too much problem with those kind of guys.

Yes you're right Squires was one of the best fielding 1'st baseman I've ever seen. I'll never forget the time he pulled down his pants brushing out the dirt while standing at first base...lmao.. to funny. For me an in the modern day it would be Dunn, his first yr. He was so bad they sent him home early.

QUOTE (AlSoxfan @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 08:08 PM)
Yes you're right Squires was one of the best fielding 1'st baseman I've ever seen. I'll never forget the time he pulled down his pants brushing out the dirt while standing at first base...lmao.. to funny. For me an in the modern day it would be Dunn, his first yr. He was so bad they sent him home early.

Nope. Steve Lyons.

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 05:03 PM)
We do this thread every year, and every year the correct answer is Jaime Navarro. Factor in his salary, playing time, attitude, opportunity cost and general suckiness--his best ERA+ with the Sox was 81!--no one can hold a candle to him in my opinion. His only redeeming quality was that we got Eldred and Valentin for him, leading to the successful 2000 team. Otherwise...yuck. He was the worst.

I agree. Guys who maybe had a handful of appearance and we're cheap with the team shouldn't count because they didn't really effect the team too much.

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 11:03 PM)
We do this thread every year, and every year the correct answer is Jaime Navarro. Factor in his salary, playing time, attitude, opportunity cost and general suckiness--his best ERA+ with the Sox was 81!--no one can hold a candle to him in my opinion. His only redeeming quality was that we got Eldred and Valentin for him, leading to the successful 2000 team. Otherwise...yuck. He was the worst.

really.... i really thought it would be todd ritchie.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 05:45 PM)
Pitchers

Name WAR

Scott Eyre -1.4

Ken Patterson -1.3

Jesse Jefferson -0.9

Carlos Castillo -0.8

Lerrin LaGrow -0.5

Doug Drabek -0.1

Hector Noesi 0.1

Dylan Axelrod 0.1

Cy Acosta 0.2

2 other pitchers to add to the list. Juan Agosto (I mean Juan Disgusto), and a reliever named Pablo Torrealba. When he made his dismal debut, Harry Carry said out loud on the broadcast' Pablo Torrealba! Where do they get these guys?"

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 05:59 PM)
To be fair, Mike Squires was a very good fielding first baseman. Rich Morales was more or less a utility player. I don't have too much problem with those kind of guys.

My favorite Spanky Squires moment was when he played 3B left-handed. The date was August 23, 1983.

I'll second (or third or seventeenth or whatevereth) Jamie Navarro, but can we get some love/hate for Juan "Disgusto" Agosto?

Not a bad topic for a thread in offseason.

I'll list some of my least favorite players of all time/worst players in Sox history.

First of all, putting Paulie is not even a good attempt as a joke. Who cares if he had a bad season or two? He was a great all-time Sox player. Dumb to list him. Same with Alan Bannister. He couldn't field but he could hit for the South Side Hit Men. He was part of that epic season of bat meeting ball. So many guys crushed the baseball.

MY LIST OF WORST PLAYERS

-- Royce Clayton. Steve Sax, Darrin Erstad. Claudell Washington. The Dybber (he should go down in infamy as badly in city baseball history as Bartman but he doesn't; his mistake cost the Chicago White Sox a World Series, folks and he was a s*** player besides). LaRoche. Dunn. Swisher. Bobby Bonds was so bad they had to cut him. A lot of the relief pitchers of the last 3-4 years have sucked beyond belief. Mike McDougal. Phil Bradley. George Foster. Orlando Cabrera. Hank Allen. Mark Teahen. Bee Bee Richard. Ellis Burks. I happened to despise Alex Rios.

I'm sure there are many more.

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 05:06 AM)
Ritchie was bad, but he was only with the Sox for 1 year. We had to endure Navarro for 3 full seasons...ouch.

and yet laroche is with the team for 1 yr and he made the list.

a strange inconsistency here.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 06:10 AM)
I'll always think Scott Linebrink, deserved or not.

I lump him in with the horrific relievers we've had the last five years or so. Can't believe it's already been 10 years since the world championship.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 09:49 PM)
2 other pitchers to add to the list. Juan Agosto (I mean Juan Disgusto), and a reliever named Pablo Torrealba. When he made his dismal debut, Harry Carry said out loud on the broadcast' Pablo Torrealba! Where do they get these guys?"

Juan Agosto was a pretty good pitcher. He played for a number of year and was ok. He wasn't a star but was far from terrible or the worst player in history.

Per dollar and hype, it's Adam Dunn.

everybody else playing for second.

Rocky Biddle.

Billy Koch.

Jon Rauch.

Matt Ginter

Adrian Nieto.

Adam LaRoche

Todd Ritchie.

Jaime Navarro.

Dayan Viciedo.

Jerry Dybzinski

Bee Bee Richard

Scott Ruffcorn.

Joe Borchard

Jordan Danks

Josh Paul

Consider it a starter set.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 11:00 PM)
Not a bad topic for a thread in offseason.

I'll list some of my least favorite players of all time/worst players in Sox history.

First of all, putting Paulie is not even a good attempt as a joke. Who cares if he had a bad season or two? He was a great all-time Sox player. Dumb to list him. Same with Alan Bannister. He couldn't field but he could hit for the South Side Hit Men. He was part of that epic season of bat meeting ball. So many guys crushed the baseball.

MY LIST OF WORST PLAYERS

-- Royce Clayton. Steve Sax, Darrin Erstad. Claudell Washington. The Dybber (he should go down in infamy as badly in city baseball history as Bartman but he doesn't; his mistake cost the Chicago White Sox a World Series, folks and he was a s*** player besides). LaRoche. Dunn. Swisher. Bobby Bonds was so bad they had to cut him. A lot of the relief pitchers of the last 3-4 years have sucked beyond belief. Mike McDougal. Phil Bradley. George Foster. Orlando Cabrera. Hank Allen. Mark Teahen. Bee Bee Richard. Ellis Burks. I happened to despise Alex Rios.

I'm sure there are many more.

Greg, I wonder sometimes if you have ever watched a game of baseball in your life.

Half the players you listed are positive WAR players.

Orlando Cabrera - 3.3 fWAR in just one year with the Sox. I would love to have a 3.3 fWAR shortstop this year.

Darin Erstad - .7 fWAR in basically a half season worth of PAs. Not great but nowhere near the worst player in Sox history.

Nick Swisher - 1.1 fWAR in one season with the Sox. Again not good, but more disappointing because of the high expectation.

Bobby Bonds - Had just 102 PAs with the Sox but put up .4 fWAR and a 107 wRC+. Over a full season that translates to about 2.5 fWAR.

George Foster - Had 54 PAs as a 38 year old. Former MVP. Dumb to even mention him.

Ellis Burks - 2.7 fWAR and a 116 wRC+ in one season with the Sox. What is even remotely bad about that?

Some of these players you claim to be amongst the worst Sox ever were actually pretty decent in their time with the Sox.