Who are the worst players in White Sox history?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 09:33 AM)
My personal all time bad player list with the Sox goes as follows...

Darin Erstad

D'Angelo Jiminez

Adam Dunn

Billy Koch

Jose Paniagua

Rick White

What was so bad about Erstad? I mean, he wasn't good, but he put up a positive WAR...

Off the bat, I was going to suggest you could probably throw a stone at the 2007 roster and hit some candidates- but when you consider how many players have worn a Sox uniform even since 2007, and going back before even to 1990 (and this is applicable to all teams, really), I'm not so sure anymore. I'm amused and also sad to realize that even when looking at complete rosters from as recently as 2007-present, there are quite a few that were erased from my memory. For good reason.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
I tend to cut Billy Koch some slack due to the Morgellons Disease.

That's fine, but this isn't the "most hated" thread that sprang up a while ago, so guys who didn't perform all belong. Koch was a primary reason the '03 team missed the playoffs.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 11:41 AM)
That's fine, but this isn't the "most hated" thread that sprang up a while ago, so guys who didn't perform all belong. Koch was a primary reason the '03 team missed the playoffs.

One of Kenny's better moves. He didn't want to pay Keith Foulke, so he traded him to Oakland for Koch, and then he gives Koch a raise. Foulke continued a pretty good career with Oakland and Boston, Koch got hit real hard.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 10:42 AM)
What was so bad about Erstad? I mean, he wasn't good, but he put up a positive WAR...

When Erstad tried to play CF for White Sox, he was the worst I have ever seen, including Little League. He could not throw a lick, and there he was, out there in CF.

Another name to add is Ken Griffey, but he deserves a break because he was at the end of a great career. Lousy with Sox, however, as was Manny Ramirez. Talk about a waste of $3 Million.

When Erstad tried to play CF for White Sox, he was the worst I have ever seen, including Little League. He could not throw a lick, and there he was, out there in CF.

Another name to add is Ken Griffey, but he deserves a break because he was at the end of a great career. Lousy with Sox, however, as was Manny Ramirez. Talk about a waste of $3 Million.

Griffey made one play that keeps far away from this list.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 04:33 PM)
Erstad in 2007 was one of the worst players I've ever seen and no stats will convince me otherwise.

Remember Hawk FREAKING OUT when he twisted his ankle on a swing? Pretty sure Hawk went to the clubhouse to see what was wrong.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 04:20 PM)
I wonder with nearly every post he makes. Clueless.

Cmon. I am not clueless. I am controversial. Most of the players I mentioned reeked. You may have gotten me on Ellis Burks. Bobby Bonds was awful. The team had to get rid of him almost immediately because he was so bad. ... Explain to me why the Dybber isn't thought of much worse than he is. He's our Bartman, the reason we didn't win a WS that year!

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 08:11 PM)
You guys obviously don't remember players like Ron Blomberg do you? LOL. Especially given the size of the deal Veeck gave him for that time.

Mark

Great call on Blomberg! He definitely deserves to be on the list.

Edited by greg775