Who are the worst players in White Sox history?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 03:25 PM)
Cmon. I am not clueless. I am controversial. Most of the players I mentioned reeked. You may have gotten me on Ellis Burks. Bobby Bonds was awful. The team had to get rid of him almost immediately because he was so bad. ... Explain to me why the Dybber isn't thought of much worse than he is. He's our Bartman, the reason we didn't win a WS that year!

Great call on Blomberg! He definitely deserves to be on the list.

Blomberg hit a HR to win the game on Opening Day. Then it was all downhill.

As for Bonds, he was not terrible for the White Sox. In 90 AB he hit .278/.347/.389. They were trying to use the rent a player that worked well with Zisk and Gamble the previous season, but the team sucked and Bonds was going to be a free agent so they bailed and traded him for young players, one was Claudell Washington.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 04:14 PM)
Why does it seem like the Sox always get former superstars past their prime?

Dunn, Thome, Vizquel, Manny Ramirez, Andruw Jones, Griffey, etc.

The list goes on and on.

I agree. Ask Kenny.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 02:14 PM)

The list goes on and on.

It could be said of a lot of teams probably but yeah the Sox have always seemed to specialize in this. I've been a fan a long time and they've done this since I can remember. A couple more were Rocky Colavito and Ken Boyer.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 03:14 PM)

The list goes on and on.

Erstad was a good ballplayer who was on the decline when we got him. Roberto Alomar too.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 04:29 PM)
It could be said of a lot of teams probably but yeah the Sox have always seemed to specialize in this. I've been a fan a long time and they've done this since I can remember. A couple more were Rocky Colavito and Ken Boyer.

1967: That was the year that I thought Colavito was going to push the Sox over the top. Boy was I wrong!

David Wells wins this "award" hands down, for me. Because not only was he terrible with the Sox with a God-awful contract, he was also a complete horse's ass and egomaniac to boot. Just terrible.

Another name to add that fans liked to loathe, perhaps fairly, perhaps not...Juan Agosto.

And the 1983 Jerry Dybzinski base running gaffe in the playoffs has to earn him a mention in this thread.

Edited by buckweaver

QUOTE (buckweaver @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 10:45 AM)
David Wells wins this "award" hands down, for me. Because not only was he terrible with the Sox with a God-awful contract, he was also a complete horse's ass and egomaniac to boot. Just terrible.

Another name to add that fans liked to loathe, perhaps fairly, perhaps not...Juan Agosto.

And the 1983 Jerry Dybzinski base running gaffe in the playoffs has to earn him a mention in this thread.

The one thing that struck me with Wells' tenure with the White Sox is every shot during the broadcasts when someone else was on the bump showed a young Mark Buehrle attached to his hip, and Buehrle making a huge leap forward. I always wondered if that was cause Mark was picking his brain and learning from the vet.

Also, the White Sox deserved a bad year from Wells after sending a damaged Sirotka in return for him.

Edited by QuickJones81