Heyman: Justin Upton to the Tigers

Baron

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 13, 2015 -> 06:15 PM)
Merkin mentioned that the Sox really want to keep their draft picks. Cespedes seems like the guy they would be interested since he does not cost a draft pick.

Last time Merkin said that, our own RaBBit & Nightengale mentioned that the Sox are/were interested in Upton.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 13, 2015 -> 06:27 PM)
Last time Merkin said that, our own RaBBit & Nightengale mentioned that the Sox are/were interested in Upton.

Nightingale was just saying that's were he thinks would be a good place land upton. Rabbit also said sox were talking to Reds for catcher before Sox got navarro. So it's all speculation. Hahn I'm sure would like to get the picks especially if they have to get any trades giving up talent. Cespedes makes more sense then

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 13, 2015 -> 06:37 PM)
Hayes and Merkin tweet every day it seems like that the Sox won't go after someone with QO.

And I get that if it's a small time free agent. But if you're willing to spend the insane amount on Upton then draft pick of little concern. If it's Upton vs Cespedes and they choose Cespedes, then I really f***ing hope it's because they like him better, and not because of the draft pick.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 13, 2015 -> 04:47 PM)
Hahn on XM Radio last week said they were talking to guys with QO offers attached

It's kinda at the point right now where if you want to add a bat, you may have to do that. I'd rather give up a QO pick vs draining the farm for someone with 2-3 years of control.

That's just me, though.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 13, 2015 -> 07:00 PM)
It's kinda at the point right now where if you want to add a bat, you may have to do that. I'd rather give up a QO pick vs draining the farm for someone with 2-3 years of control.

That's just me, though.

For the right free agent I have no problem with it. For a guy like Ian Desmond though...that's a little hard for me to process(just because of his offensive decline).

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 13, 2015 -> 05:02 PM)
For the right free agent I have no problem with it. For a guy like Ian Desmond though...that's a little hard for me to process(just because of his offensive decline).

100% agree. Desmond or a guy like David Murphy would piss me off.

Upton or Gordon I would be fine with.

I think this team severely underachieved most of the year & there are a few players that are due to bounce back but I really think they need at least 1 bigger bat to put them in the mix to compete for a WC spot.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 13, 2015 -> 07:14 PM)
100% agree. Desmond or a guy like David Murphy would piss me off.

Upton or Gordon I would be fine with.

I think this team severely underachieved most of the year & there are a few players that are due to bounce back but I really think they need at least 1 bigger bat to put them in the mix to compete for a WC spot.

Agree with all of this. One big bat is a must. I do think Melky & LaRoche bounce back some, but we can't completely rely on that. And we definitely can't give Avi another year, which is exactly why adding one of the impact OFs makes so much sense.

It's a classic Catch-22.

If they go after someone like Cespedes and Gordon, it's back to 100% win now mode...and they won't get the number of years of a Heyward or Upton (5-7?), so that's preferable from a financial standpoint. The other problem is that both those guys might take 3 year deals but only if they get huge yearly salaries for giving up one or two years in contract length.

That said, if they were to sign Cespedes or Gordon, it virtually forces them to go after someone like Desmond (at the very least, bring Ramirez back) and probably another veteran starting pitcher as insurance for Johnson and the rest of the rotation (unless they want to send Montas/Beck/Turner out there to take their lumps).

Buying Desmond "lower" but certainly not cheaply some amount of sense...but then again you're not really improving the defense with that move. There's been a lot of speculation Desmond could be moved to the outfield due to his athleticism (see Zobrist/Figgins/Tony Phillips, etc.) but then one of the biggest and most obvious weaknesses in the current starting line-up would have to be Saladino at SS (along with Garcia in RF and LaRoche), leading to the conclusion the White Sox would stick him at their weakest or second weakest current position overall. Desmond does bring some speed on the basepaths and good XB pop to the dish, and there's no overstating how much we need to improve our offense at every position outside of Abreu/Eaton right now.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 13, 2015 -> 07:40 PM)
Just give me one of the OFers at this point and then add Frazier if possible

That can only happen if they're willing to accept someone not named Anderson or Fulmer.

Just don't see any type of package (Montas or Adams, Micah, Thompson, Avi, etc.) that will get it done.

It also seems they would prefer Lawrie at 3B rather than 2B, as they're probably more content with Sanchez at 2B than Saladino at SS.

They pretty much need to go ahead and add Desmond to go with Upton/Cespedes/Gordon or they're just going to be too far away...one player alone isn't enough to make our offense as competitive as it needs to be, especially when it's a low contact/average defense type who goes through extreme hot and cold streaks during a season like Upton and Cespedes are prone to.

In terms of price/value, they're MUCH better off with Gordon/Desmond than Upton or Cespedes alone.

The problem is that there are another 5-10 teams like the Cardinals and Giants who have the same idea about Gordon, who looks like he will end up signing for $90-110 million over four years. Without the draft pick attached, Cespedes could end up in the mid 100's, and that's way too steep for the Sox historically.

Heck, $100 million for two "very good" years of Gordon and two likely declining ones when they most need his production (2018-2019) is a huge risk as well.

Edited by caulfield12

The Giants and Cardinals are looming out there as well...and the Royals have two OF openings, unless they're totally convinced Dyson and Orlando can handle RF.

Since they've only spent about $40 million total (J.Soria and re-signing Young) so far, they have to be considered huge players for Cespedes and obviously Gordon.

When the musical chairs have stopped, there will just be way too many teams out there with significant resources who will be able to outbid the White Sox.

The Tigers would be yet another, and they're already quite familiar with Cespedes and vice-versa. Seems he was very comfortable in that market, although obviously he was dynamite for NY until the post-season.

Edited by caulfield12