Heyman: Justin Upton to the Tigers

Baron

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least half of Soxtalk would have a problem with it.

Depends on the kind of deals they got. If they both got 4+ years, yeah I'd have a problem with committing that long to two guys who might not pan out. If you can get one of them on a 3 year deal, then that would be better.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 01:36 AM)
Imagine the hoopla and chaos that would ensue if the Sox signed both Upton AND Cespedes

man, i would cry b/c the owners finally saw the big picture. sign upton and give him a 2 yr opt

but would it be greedy for me to ask if they will get another sp of some sorts to help and a ss???

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 06:42 PM)
At least half of Soxtalk would have a problem with it.

That's just not going to happen, if for no other reason than Cabrera being forced to DH and wasting another $13 million or so on LaRoche's deal.

Sure, if they were to spend $200-250 million, what's another $13 million I guess. There's that school of improbable thought.

And certainly going five years on Cespedes and six plus on Upton carries a pretty fair amount of risk. These opt-out deals seem to be the norm at the moment, but that also would mean having to replace at at even higher cost an outperforming asset. Still, three years for Gordon and four for Cespedes would be all that should be guaranteed.

Nevertheless, there's no conceiveable way it's Upton AND another one of those two, unless it's Ian Desmond in a Ben Zobrist swing man role where he becomes primary SS if Saladino flops or plays OF, 2b, DH and maybe 3b as well.

That's from the lose one pick might as well blow them both school of thought from last year...obviously with future consequences for the farm system being damned.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 07:36 AM)
That's just not going to happen, if for no other reason than Cabrera being forced to DH and wasting another $13 million or so on LaRoche's deal.

Sure, if they were to spend $200-250 million, what's another $13 million I guess. There's that school of improbable thought.

And certainly going five years on Cespedes and six plus on Upton carries a pretty fair amount of risk. These opt-out deals seem to be the norm at the moment, but that also would mean having to replace at at even higher cost an outperforming asset. Still, three years for Gordon and four for Cespedes would be all that should be guaranteed.

Nevertheless, there's no conceiveable way it's Upton AND another one of those two, unless it's Ian Desmond in a Ben Zobrist swing man role where he becomes primary SS if Saladino flops or plays OF, 2b, DH and maybe 3b as well.

That's from the lose one pick might as well blow them both school of thought from last year...obviously with future consequences for the farm system being damned.

Caulfield, everyone knows that wont happen. Thats why they said "Imagine...."

you dont have to explain why a ridiculous imaginary idea is ridiculous and imaginary

Well, a week ago it was imaginary to acquire Frazier without giving up Anderson OR Fulmer.

Granted, the double signing would be a lot less likely than the White Sox more or less standing pat from here on out...but that's also a realistic possibility.

It's still a bit difficult to believe they're going to shell out their first $100+ million dollar contract.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 08:49 AM)
Well, a week ago it was imaginary to acquire Frazier without giving up Anderson OR Fulmer.

Granted, the double signing would be a lot less likely than the White Sox more or less standing pat from here on out...but that's also a realistic possibility.

It's still a bit difficult to believe they're going to shell out their first $100+ million dollar contract.

No these aren't comparable. One is trading for an All Star 3B the other is signing 3 of the top outfielders (it was purely fantasy and sarcasm).

They're going to shell it out sooner rather than later. They paid Abreu $68 million and didn't get a MLB at bat out of him at that time. They're going to do it eventually. Especially Sales next contract.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 07:53 AM)
No these aren't comparable. One is trading for an All Star 3B the other is signing 3 of the top outfielders (it was purely fantasy and sarcasm).

They're going to shell it out sooner rather than later. They paid Abreu $68 million and didn't get a MLB at bat out of him at that time. They're going to do it eventually. Especially Sales next contract.

I don't think that $200+ million deal comes from us for Sale. Just too risky.

And I was talking about getting two of the big names (you can add Chris Davis), not 3/3.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 07:49 AM)

yea not even close to the same thing

Found this on MLBTR:

After adding Todd Frazier, Bruce Levine of CBS Chicago wonders if the White Sox will grab another big bat off of the free agent market. Justin Upton and Yoenis Cespedes are potential targets for Chicago, but Alex Gordon makes the most sense for the White Sox, in Levine’s estimation. The club has payroll limitations to deal with, but Levine has some ideas for how it can squeeze in a $20MM/year outfielder with some creative accounting.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/reds...mer-tigers.html

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 08:26 AM)
More Levine regurgitation of other's ideas and writings. He even tried to justify sending LaRoche to Pitt, an idea that was already turned down by Pitt. How does Levine have a job?

Anyone have an idea of what Gordon is looking for as far as contract length?

Five obviously, but most teams prefer 4...and 3 would be ideal.

Realistically, four's the shortest....unless they just have insane frontloading or a favorable opt-out after just two seasons.

Realistically, four's the shortest....unless they just have insane frontloading or a favorable opt-out after just two seasons.

3 I could see but I wouldnt do more than that for an outielder that turns 32 next year.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 08:58 AM)
3 I could see but I wouldnt do more than that for an outielder that turns 32 next year.

A 35 year old Ben Zobrist just got a 4 year deal.

Gordon will definitely get a 5-6 year deal.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 07:36 AM)

This should be a priority, not something the Sox are trying to avoid. Melky needs to be the DH at least 80% of the time. LaRoche needs to get a start or two a week at DH when a bad RH is on the hill, late inning defensive replacement for Jose and match up based PH. That is how this team will have success. If LaRoche happens to blows up and starts hitting well, its a good problem to have.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...two OF makes the most sense unless you're able to get Gordon. If you go Cespedes or Upton, a Parra or Span signing makes a ton of sense to be the strong side of a platoon with Avi.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 04:10 PM)
I have faith in the Sox FO not being dumb enough to follow suit.

this again has proven yours and my thought process from last yr.... when we talked about it.

i will say that last yr fa signing was kw.

this yr, it is a slow, deliberate careful attack in fixing the holes that the sox have. each trade, signing or every move was well thought of and address without rushing into it.

can't wait until he continues to go about his work.

• 2 weeks later...

So supposedly the Sox really aren't going for J Ups anymore. Personally, I wanted him far more than Gordon or Cespedes, even if it means we give him a 6-7 year deal for a slightly larger AAV.

With Gordon, he's been awesome as an all around player, but I am really concerned about him stay healthy and getting us 150+ games a season.

With Cespedes, he brings that much needed power, but for the biggest contract we've ever given, I'd like a guy who has an OBP of over .320. He'd still be a great player, but I'm concerned about our financial resources going to a guy who hits for low average but can't draw walks that well.

I think Upton just brings that all-around player (power, OBP, speed, decent D) and I have a lot more confidence in his durability than the other 2.

Either way, this team will be better with any of these guys, but I am still holding out hope that we net Upton instead of the other too. Maybe the circles that the other rumors have gone in lately will lead a path back to Justin.