Heyman: Justin Upton to the Tigers

Baron

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 07:27 PM)
I think Sox want to give Garcia one more chance this year. Danks and LaRoche deals will be off the books next winter, If Avi stumbles again Sox will get a new OF.

Problem with that is it is a real bad FA market next year. To get a good OF next year the Sox will have to give something up by going the trade route.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 07:27 PM)
I think Sox want to give Garcia one more chance this year. Danks and LaRoche deals will be off the books next winter, If Avi stumbles again Sox will get a new OF.

Hahn has all but said they want to upgrade from Avi in the OF. Maybe they wanted to dump LaRoche to open up the DH spot for him, but the chances of him being are starting RF next year are slim to none. Rick will definitely get us another OF.

They're playing with fire if they want to get out of the gate white hot and counting on LaRoche, Garcia and Saladino getting regular at-bats...of course, stating the obvious.

Right now, it's hard to make a case for the White Sox being higher than fourth in the division, and you can still make just as many arguments for fifth as third.

Obviously, a lot depends on what the Tigers and White Sox do to fill out their roster...as well as if the Indians trade one of their starters and for who/m (not to mention Brantley's health). KC is still looking to add one more starting pitcher. The White Sox and Tigers should be doing the same thing.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 07:35 PM)
You know the Sox would love to get Carlos Gomez, but cost would be sky high and he's a FA

He had a pretty strong decline last season...totally forgot about him.

With Springer, Gomez, Tucker, Marisnick and Rasmus, that outfield is loaded. Lots of options there. Springer's likely to be the first 30/30 guy since Trout.

Selling high on Tucker or Marisnick would be the obvious thing to do, and/or figuring out someone to take Singleton's contract off their payroll depending on the financial situation of the acquiring team versus their minor league depth chart.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 07:04 PM)
I think any trade talk starting with the Sox would almost immediately revolve around Anderson or Fulmer. Teams would be stupid to not at least try. Doesn't mean that's a fair deal, but I can't see any team not attempt to pry either away.

I hear ya and if I was the Astros GM I'd ask for the same thing. Personally, I wouldn't give up Anderson or Fulmer for Marisnick but I'd be open to ideas outside of those two.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 07:20 PM)
Well, on one hand, the Astros just drafted Tucker's brother as well, right?

They might want to keep them together like the Sox did with the Danks brothers, or sell high on Tucker if they perceive him more as a 4th outfielder than regular going forward.

If they can't trade Rasmus due to the QO being accepted, that only leaves Marisnick and Springer's obviously not going anywhere.

The only way to possibly make it work without trading top pieces is also taking on Singleton's contract, seemingly.

Wow, I forgot about Singleton. Call me crazy but I'd take a chance on him and his contract. Dude is making chump change. Problem with taking on Singleton is that Melky stays in LF unless the Sox/Astros worked LaRoche into the deal somehow. Maybe Avi/ Guerrero/LaRoche + cash for Marisnick/Singleton? Hell if I know.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 10:15 PM)
The problem there is they would have no desire to add another outfielder in Garcia, especially in "win now" mode and not having the luxury of any more development years from their players...just depends on how desperate they are to rid themselves of Singleton I guess.

Good point. Astros have too many outfielders and the Sox have too many DH's. In the end, I seriously doubt there's a match between the two teams but what can I say, I'm bored why I wait for all this to sort out.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 07:33 PM)
Josh Reddick is a FA next year.

That's the thing. I believe the Sox are looking at this holistically, basically telling Jerry, look we can get a Cespedes or Upton this year and pay X amount. The market is soft, we can get a Cespedes at whatever dollar amount and he'd fit into our 2-4 year plan OR we can wait until next year when LaRoche and Danks are off the books. The following teams may be in need of an OF, the FA's include Reddick, Gomez, etc. and the price we are assuming at this point is X amount for those guys.

I think Jerry, being a businessman said, the former plan makes sense and gave his seal of approval to go 3 years, and if the price is right 4-5 years. With the market as is, I think we probably did offer 3 years in talks. Ultimately I think we'll sign Cespedes for 4 years with a 5th year option though. I believe Avi will start in AAA and be either a trade piece, or one last try next year when Melky or him is at DH.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 09:05 AM)
Sure sounds like plenty of teams are still considering making a splash on either Upton/Cespedes (Baltimore, Texas, Mets, Red Sox, Tigers) to go with the White Sox. Have any other teams been mentioned?

I highly doubt Boston would look at Cespedes after his brief stint there. According to today's Providence Journal they would only have interest in Upton if the price drops:

http://www.providencejournal.com/article/2...96/13936/SPORTS

"Perhaps if the cost for a Justin Upton comes down significantly, the Red Sox would rethink their outfield situation. Again, both sides of that equation seem unlikely, and Boston is poised to embrace the uncertainty of Bradley and Castillo as everyday outfielders."

Like I was worried about before, the longer this goes on, the lower the price/years get & the more teams (some attractive) decide they want to get in on it.

I think the Sox will add an OF but starting to doubt it's one of the top 2 guys.

I think Upton would be stupid to turn down a 3/4 year deal. If he accepted such a deal he could re-enter the FA market at age 31/32 and get a big payday that should carry him well into his regression years. Another point is the inflation that will happen over the next 3-4 years will only enhance Upton's next contract.

Despite the Sox farm being rather thin, I still think that in the end they pull off a trade of some sort.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 08:47 AM)
Call me crazy, but, I've got a feeling we scoop up Upton. Kenny loves Upton and lest we forget, Kenny always gets his guy. Whether it be Griffey, Jr., Robbie Alomar, Dunn, Edwin Jackson... Doesn't matter. Kenny always gets his guy.

Multiple sources have said that Upton has already declined the Sox at least twice. He doesnt want to be here for whatever reason. Its not going to happen.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:04 AM)
Multiple sources have said that Upton has already declined the Sox at least twice. He doesnt want to be here for whatever reason. Its not going to happen.

I'm just saying, if the Sox are going to dole out their biggest contract ever, I could see it for a guy like Upton as opposed to a Cespedes. And perhaps if the money were there, he might reconsider.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:07 AM)
I'm just saying, if the Sox are going to dole out their biggest contract ever, I could see it for a guy like Upton as opposed to a Cespedes. And perhaps if the money were there, he might reconsider.

From all the reports that I have heard and including Levine this morning, the Sox arent offering their biggest contract ever. They are trying to get Cespedes at 3/50-55 so they arent going to go into Upton territory and even if they did he seems dead set on not coming here.

So as far as I can tell we arent going to get either big name OF.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:10 AM)
From all the reports that I have heard and including Levine this morning, the Sox arent offering their biggest contract ever. They are trying to get Cespedes at 3/50-55 so they arent going to go into Upton territory and even if they did he seems dead set on not coming here.

So as far as I can tell we arent going to get either big name OF.

If true, that's a pathetic offer, and why the Sox have been linked to either guy is beyond me...what a buzzkill if those figures are right. We couldve potentially signed Parra or Span or whatever OF and/or a starting pitcher by now.

3/55 doesn't even get you a place in the discussion with Cespedes or Upton imo.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)

Maybe it has nothing to do with not wanting to play on the South Side of Chicago and more to do with the offers were of this embarrassingly low three years or less variety.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 05:37 PM)
They're playing with fire if they want to get out of the gate white hot and counting on LaRoche, Garcia and Saladino getting regular at-bats...of course, stating the obvious.

Alcides Escobar, Alex Rios, Omar Infante

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)
Alcides Escobar, Alex Rios, Omar Infante

Escobar and Perez over their careers have been much better offensively than last season.

Dyson and Orlando will share RF unless they add Fowler or Jackson. The war numbers there should be better overall because Dyson is even better than Cain defensively and should hit well enough in a platoon. Rios was terrible/injured.

Infante's the biggest question mark (which is why Royals fans wanted Zobrist back instead of Kennedy). Colon is the replacement, or Mondesi...eventually.

Theoretically Gordon won't miss two months again.

Honestly, there isn't much difference offensively if the Sox can upgrade one more position.

Team defense/speed, starting rotation depth to compensate for injuries, and then a huge difference in bullpens (although Davis is due to finally regress and Soria's a question mark, adding Duffy/Collins helps a lot compared to Franklin Morales).

Clearly, the White Sox big advantage on everyone is the top of rotation.

If Lawrie, Frazier and the catcher hit as expected, the White Sox will score more runs. Morales falling off is just as likely as LaRoche improving.

Edited by caulfield12