Heyman: Justin Upton to the Tigers

Baron

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 04:08 PM)
That's where I'm at. I really think it'll be both or neither.

Upton the Sox could do and you don't need to do anything else (as it could be part of a longer term plan of get closer this year with an, if everything goes well, we are their but if not, we are just another year of development, etc away from contending more longer term). However, if you go the Frazier route I think the Sox absolutely need to surround that move with another move to ensure a much higher probability of post-season entrance. I say that because you are actually giving up assets to get Frazier (and I'm not counting a sandwich pick at the same level as real, close major league ready assets such as Anderson +) who is only here for 2 years. If you do that and can't contend, that is extremely disappointing.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 06:08 PM)
That's where I'm at. I really think it'll be both or neither.

Both Upton and Frazier would be a great Christmas present for Sox fans. Anyone think the northside moves might be a factor in JR and the FO thinking seriously about these moves?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 05:15 PM)
The Braves want to dump Markakis and might send prospects along with to sweeten the pot or subsidize the remaining $31.5 million due over three years...

Markakis contract isn't bad at all and he can still hit, draw walks to go with a low K rate. I don't want him but if the Braves really sweeten the deal with a quality prospect or two I'd be willing to listen. Swanson would work for me. :D

Cespedes seems like a good deal now but I feel like 3-4 down the road when he falls off & still has 2-3 years left on his deal, we would really hate it.

They need a big bat & I won't be overly picky but I would 100% prefer Upton at this point.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 05:16 PM)
Markakis is worse than Avi at this point. No thanks.

Unless he's worse defensively otherwise other then low power last year he's was better then avi last year.

Avi

Markakis

Markakis gets on base alot more then avi and he hits for a higher average. Sox need guys on base. Tho Markakis does have more power before he also was a 1.9 war vs -0.3 on avi

Have gone through this drill enough times (eliminating teams that may be in on a player or trade candidate) to know it usually doesn't end up in the White Sox favor when the numbers are over $100 million.

There's a basic theme here though:

The White Sox need to make at least one "big" move before spring training,

Two, even that big move PROBABLY won't be enough to push them into playoff contention or boost season ticket sales alone, not at this point, not without adding a second tier bat and second/third tier veteran pitcher.

Three, making a pedestrian move (let's say Parra, Snider or Austin Jackson) while keeping Robertson as the closer for another non-competing season (and maybe 2017 as well barring trades, due to the dearth of help on the FA market next year at this time) is close to absurd.

Trading prospects for a Frazier or CarGo type HAS to be accompanied by spending additional money or they're simply making moves based on perception/marketing and not really having an actual plan to compete.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 07:18 PM)
Hypothetically speaking, if we got Frazier and Upton or Cespedes, would you be set with the rotation or would you want them to add another starter?

I'd like a backup plan just in case Danks or EJ completely fall apart, but the top 3 is just about as solid as it gets. Not to mention that Fulmer is waiting in the wings if they need him.

Where are these percentages coming from?

Off the top of my head, you have the Orioles, Angels, Cardinals, Tigers and Royals who are all in a much better position to spend money than the White Sox (particularly KC if it's Gordon)...

The last five years has demonstrated that those organizations with the benefit of new broadcast rights deals are typically the one who make these kinds of moves like Upton, Cespedes or Chris Davis that will clearly be over the $100 million mark.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 07:24 PM)
Where are these percentages coming from?

Off the top of my head, you have the Orioles, Angels, Cardinals, Tigers and Royals who are all in a much better position to spend money than the White Sox (particularly KC if it's Gordon)...

The last five years has demonstrated that those organizations with the benefit of new broadcast rights deals are typically the one who make these kinds of moves like Upton, Cespedes or Chris Davis that will clearly be over the $100 million mark.

How many $100 million players have the Royals signed in their history?

And the news today said they will not be raising payroll.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 07:23 PM)
I'd like a backup plan just in case Danks or EJ completely fall apart, but the top 3 is just about as solid as it gets. Not to mention that Fulmer is waiting in the wings if they need him.

Assuming Fulmer's just as ready to go in the first half of 2016 as Rodon was last year at this time is as dangerous as those who thought Rodon might fly out of the gates with Chris Sale-like impact.

The one major blessing of entering the season without a fully-competitive roster is that young pitchers like Montas and Fulmer don't have to be rushed and pushed into the major league bullpen in order to shore up weaknesses there in order to "win now."

At least that will be the case until we actually see the trade for Frazier/Cargo and simultaneous signing of Desmond, Cespedes, Davis, Upton or Gordon.