Heyman: Justin Upton to the Tigers

Baron

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 03:32 AM)
look at those graphs, Upton is the clear choice if you ask me

the strikeouts don't mean much to me as he still has the highest OBP of the group and 2nd highest number of homeruns

I agree. It's amazing his OBP is the highest even though he had more strike outs than hits. I would be estatic with either Upton or Cespedes.

Might be dumb, but it's something to think about nonetheless: Sox are always slow out of the gate and Justin Upton seems to always put up solid numbers in April and May:

April .277/.357/.529

May .279/.366/.490

June .269/.366/.409

July .273/.340/.479

August .280/.356/.500

Sept/Oct .250/.322/.434

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 07:30 AM)
Might be dumb, but it's something to think about nonetheless: Sox are always slow out of the gate and Justin Upton seems to always put up solid numbers in April and May:

April .277/.357/.529

May .279/.366/.490

June .269/.366/.409

July .273/.340/.479

August .280/.356/.500

Sept/Oct .250/.322/.434

Hasn't he always played the majority of his games in warm weather cities at that time?

A big departure from Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit and Minny.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 09:11 AM)
Surfing other fan forums and found this comparing the free agent OFs.... Pretty nice visual tool to compare these guys offensively.

HT Angles Win fan forum

http://i.imgur.com/PNm8mjt.png

http://i.imgur.com/HJcXhkw.png

http://i.imgur.com/DSxb0OE.png

http://i.imgur.com/0iT6r7G.png

http://i.imgur.com/qWpIdsZ.png

EXCELLENT find and sharing this. based on this, i like Yoenis Cespedes as the best investment, based on the above graph, and based on Baseball Reference for the past yrs, it is pretty close to what i may considered as his standard.

anyway, isn't comiskey would be a somewhat a hitters park??

This may work out well. Big spenders don't seem to be involved.

Upton is a solid player. I wouldn't sign him but he's my first choice if we must acquire a proven veteran. And given that the Sox seem like they want to convince themselves that they can cimpete in 2016, he's the choice.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 02:36 PM)
This may work out well. Big spenders don't seem to be involved.

Upton is a solid player. I wouldn't sign him but he's my first choice if we must acquire a proven veteran. And given that the Sox seem like they want to convince themselves that they can cimpete in 2016, he's the choice.

in some respect, i am glad the sox are not running out there and signing all the top fa's.

i will preach this, i trust hahn in doing this the right way.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 03:59 PM)
Why?

i don't know, i keep seeing team of the past who invest in heavily in top fa's only not to have success in the playoff.

the main advantage of getting the missing pieces, the sox can have control of how to address the holes by deciding which will be the best course of action. lastly, i just hate to break the bank on 1 fa and having to find ways to fix the team.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 08:59 AM)
Why?

I would be all for it if I knew that we were raising our overall budget.

But if we may need a starter next year and need budget flexibility to fill needs.

And it's certainly better than trading young players for the likes of Frazier.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 07:30 AM)

April .277/.357/.529

May .279/.366/.490

June .269/.366/.409

July .273/.340/.479

August .280/.356/.500

Sept/Oct .250/.322/.434

Scrubs unveil Heyward. Good day to sign Upton!!

QUOTE (Saufley @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 03:35 PM)
Scrubs unveil Heyward. Good day to sign Upton!!

dang, i really tried to ignore this post, but i will answer... i am soo weak willed.

i would not like the signing of upton at this time or ever. now to give some reasonable reason, i can\t. i just do not like him as a player and i think he comes with baggage. again this is my opinion.

but i will give a month of not posting if they, the sox makes some great trade and fa signing.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)
What's with all of this not posting stuff. Everyone has an opinion which makes the board interesting.

exactly .... and as i used to say on wsi and then later on this board a long time ago.

with everyone having an opinion, based on that, everyone is right and everyone is wrong, as long posters don't take it personal.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 01:07 PM)
I would offer justin upton 4 years 80 million opt out after 2017 season.

Upton doesn't do that because that 18 class is stacked and he will be an outlier in that class rather than a headliner. He will sign a 5-7 year deal with an opt out after 3 or 4 years.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)
Upton doesn't do that because that 18 class is stacked and he will be an outlier in that class rather than a headliner. He will sign a 5-7 year deal with an opt out after 3 or 4 years.

he opts out after 2017 season not 2018 season

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 03:04 PM)
Why would the Sox forfeit a top 30 draft pick to sign Upton for what is essentially a 2 year deal? Doesn't make sense

They get a pick when they lose him in 2 years, assuming the CBA does not change much.