Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

"Caulfield" wrote; "Pretty much nobody in history has moved from SS to the outfield successfully, though."

I realize that it wasn't in teal, but I read it as sarcasm. Most of you seem to have taken the remark seriously.

"Caulfield" can speak for himself, but I just wanted to state my interpretation, especially in view of all of today's criticism

being made of his remarks.

It seems obvious to me the hold up is Cespedes and Upton want to see what Baltimore does with the pile of money it offered Davis. If one of those guys signs there, Boras will be left trying to save face.

I don't see another team offering $150 million for Davis, so how he may do this is a one year contract higher than the AAV he turned down.

He has played RF and LF, maybe not so well, but throw $25 million at him for 1 season to see what he could do. It would be a huge gamble, but he would be playing for a contract, and USCF does play well into Davis' offensive game. If he hits 40 or 50 homers, he would wind up paying for himself in spades.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 09:08 AM)
It seems obvious to me the hold up is Cespedes and Upton want to see what Baltimore does with the pile of money it offered Davis. If one of those guys signs there, Boras will be left trying to save face.

I don't see another team offering $150 million for Davis, so how he may do this is a one year contract higher than the AAV he turned down.

He has played RF and LF, maybe not so well, but throw $25 million at him for 1 season to see what he could do. It would be a huge gamble, but he would be playing for a contract, and USCF does play well into Davis' offensive game. If he hits 40 or 50 homers, he would wind up paying for himself in spades.

I do not remember Boras truly screwing over a client that badly, so I have to believe it is some marginal gain they will end up reaping from bmore.

Yeah Davis is definitely the hold up.

I am somewhat warming to the 1 or two year deal idea. I could see Upton or Davis perhaps liking the idea when looking at next years FA crop. We will recoup the lost pick next year anyway if they sign somewhere else.

I'd prefer that to paying Cespedes north of $25M AAV over 5 or more years. I don't think Davis is a realistic option in the OF, however.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 09:44 AM)
I am somewhat warming to the 1 or two year deal idea. I could see Upton or Davis perhaps liking the idea when looking at next years FA crop. We will recoup the lost pick next year anyway if they sign somewhere else.

I'd prefer that to paying Cespedes north of $25M AAV over 5 or more years. I don't think Davis is a realistic option in the OF, however.

If the Sox were somehow able to acquire Davis, he would not see the outfield. He would be a DH, and they could then just put a decent defender in RF, who could make some kind of contribution. Hell, I'd be satisfied with Shuck out there, and batting in the #2 hole. if Davis hit between Abreu and Frazier, that would that be a scary lineup. Even Avi would be alright in that scenario, with a good defensive replacement, for the late innings. Oh, and La Roche? Same answer; who cares?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 06:56 AM)
good lord, listening to Phil Rogers is painful. He was just on the score and was musing about Upton taking a 1 or 2 year deal, then transitioned to "the white sox hope that Avisail will develop into what Cespedes already is"

why do people pay this man for baseball thoughts

He might be right on the Upton thing...

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)
He might be right on the Upton thing...

Jeff Passan is reporting that Upton might be willing to take a 1 year deal. so he could be right.

does that mean he would fall into Hahn's plan of not giving any of there FA OF'ers more than 3 years?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 09:49 AM)
I think it is realistic that Upton is the one that goes short. He should get a huge contract next offseason as a 29 year old in a bad market.

Davis/Cespy, I don't see it. So risky.

How about a two year deal, with an opt out, after the first year? Of course, it doesn't provide a long term solution, but the front office seems much more concerned about avoiding a long term commitment. They have to make up their minds which they prefer, as they aren't going to be able to obtain a long term solution, without a long term commitment. Would he be worth $25 million per year, for 2 years, with that opt out?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)
How about a two year deal, with an opt out, after the first year? Of course, it doesn't provide a long term solution, but the front office seems much more concerned about avoiding a long term commitment. They have to make up their minds which they prefer, as they aren't going to be able to obtain a long term solution, without a long term commitment. Would he be worth $25 million per year, for 2 years, with that opt out?

Drop identical 2 year, $25 million a year deals with opt outs after each year in front of Cespedes and Upton and see if someone bites.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 10:02 AM)
And doesn't work for either of them, so what was the point of that?

SO you are in the negotiating rooms now? There are published thoughts on Upton possibly on the brink of taking a 1 year deal. For multiple reasons posted on this board it could make perfect sense if they are finding a depressed market this time around--and that seems to be the case.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 10:02 AM)
And doesn't work for either of them, so what was the point of that?

The point? The point is that there are lots of options for teams looking for bats this year, but not much next year, or the following. It's just a matter of supply and demand. If a player is young enough, he can play for a bigger pay day, in the next two years, and in the meantime, $25 Million per year isn't exactly "chopped liver". Of course, there is a risk for the players, but then

that's just the nature of the "game", they're playing.

I'm always mindful of the advantage of having guys stay "hungry" and motivated. Such a scenario would certainly do that.

Edited by Lillian

I really don't want to give up the pick for him, especially to the Cubs, but Fowler is an intriguing fit as a secondary option after YC/JU. It's not as splashy, but he could play an effective CF and it would allow us to move Eaton to LF and put Melky in the DH spot. And I think most importantly, Fowler would fit perfectly in the 2 hole and provide the Sox with 2 guys at the top of the order who get on base at a good clip in front of the heart of the order. And Sliding Melky down to 5th or 6th in the lineup is a better spot for his bat to produce imo.

Having said all that, I prefer Cespedes :)