Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

This may be completely false, but it does seem like many of Cuban players seem to age better than other players FWIW. And again, maybe I am just thinking of a few examples in my own head and I'm wrong. Not saying this is justification to giving Cespedes a long, big contract.

But again, with no draft pick. I'd do $110 over 5 years for him. Mind you the biggest contract the Sox have ever given was to Abreu ... and that was for like half of that. Hard to see JR signing of on such a big deal when the team is constructed how it currently is....

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 06:57 PM)
This may be completely false, but it does seem like many of Cuban players seem to age better than other players FWIW. And again, maybe I am just thinking of a few examples in my own head and I'm wrong. Not saying this is justification to giving Cespedes a long, big contract.

But again, with no draft pick. I'd do $110 over 5 years for him. Mind you the biggest contract the Sox have ever given was to Abreu ... and that was for like half of that. Hard to see JR signing of on such a big deal when the team is constructed how it currently is....

i think i would like it. if this was a done deal, i think it is a win - win situation. the sox will have a nice bat in ref to the complete hit tools. when the sox goes to cuba, they will have a base of players who many cubans can relate to, and the new pr and media news, coming from that front, as well all merchandising that will open there. popularity growth.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 12:57 PM)

JR went big at the time with Albert Belle, and was eventually saved with the opt out. Maybe something similar. Let Cespedes have a couple of stellar seasons and let someone else pay him during his decline.

Cespedes in RF, Thompson in CF, Eaton in LF could be the best defensive OF in baseball once Gordon moves on from KC.

I would rather have Upton than Cespedes because I think you are paying a bit for an outlier. But if you can get him reasonably and embrace an opt out, it could work well.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 11:03 AM)
JR went big at the time with Albert Belle, and was eventually saved with the opt out. Maybe something similar. Let Cespedes have a couple of stellar seasons and let someone else pay him during his decline.

Cespedes in RF, Thompson in CF, Eaton in LF could be the best defensive OF in baseball once Gordon moves on from KC.

I would rather have Upton than Cespedes because I think you are paying a bit for an outlier. But if you can get him reasonably and embrace an opt out, it could work well.

I wonder if Cespedes, at his age, gets the opt out or is more focused on getting the maximum of the years. I would think a 3 year opt out makes him too old (or more risky that the opt out would be of value..I'm sure he asks for it, cause why not, but maybe odds of him truly leveraging it are less)? Unless of course it was a 2 year opt out.

I will point out that Cespedes has been better for 3 of the past 4 years (going purely off of WAR) than Upton. It has been a while since Upton's beast years. That said, Upton has consistently posted stronger OBP and is a pretty consistent bet to pots an .800+ OPS.

I wonder if Cespedes, at his age, gets the opt out or is more focused on getting the maximum of the years. I would think a 3 year opt out makes him too old (or more risky that the opt out would be of value..I'm sure he asks for it, cause why not, but maybe odds of him truly leveraging it are less)? Unless of course it was a 2 year opt out.

I will point out that Cespedes has been better for 3 of the past 4 years (going purely off of WAR) than Upton. It has been a while since Upton's beast years. That said, Upton has consistently posted stronger OBP and is a pretty consistent bet to pots an .800+ OPS.

You don't even need WAR to know Cespedes is the better player.

The A's were a force with Cespedes and the instant he left they immediately turned into a mediocre team. Then he went to Detroit (his stay with Boston was meaningless) where he fueled their torrid start and kept them in playoff contention right up until they traded him. Then Cespedes pushed the Mets over the Nationals and led that team to the league lead in 2nd half offense.

Cespedes = wins.

Edited by Alexeihyeess

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
i think i would like it. if this was a done deal, i think it is a win - win situation. the sox will have a nice bat in ref to the complete hit tools. when the sox goes to cuba, they will have a base of players who many cubans can relate to, and the new pr and media news, coming from that front, as well all merchandising that will open there. popularity growth.

I agree with this. I would love to have both Abreu and Cespedes not only in our lineup but both as spokespeople when they go to Cuba. Cespedes is a hitter and brings a plus glove to our outfield. He also doesn't cost a pick and has played and been successful in the AL. I'll take either him or Upton obviously but the more I think about it the more I like Signing Cespedes and if we had the money Murphy. Otherwise an addition of Cespedes and another IF would go a long way to making us in the conversation as competitors.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 08:34 PM)
You don't even need WAR to know Cespedes is the better player.

The A's were a force with Cespedes and the instant he left they immediately turned into a mediocre team. Then he went to Detroit (his stay with Boston was meaningless) where he fueled their torrid start and kept them in playoff contention right up until they traded him. Then Cespedes pushed the Mets over the Nationals and led that team to the league lead in 2nd half offense.

Cespedes = wins.

nice background work. :headbang

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 08:50 PM)
I agree with this. I would love to have both Abreu and Cespedes not only in our lineup but both as spokespeople when they go to Cuba. Cespedes is a hitter and brings a plus glove to our outfield. He also doesn't cost a pick and has played and been successful in the AL. I'll take either him or Upton obviously but the more I think about it the more I like Signing Cespedes and if we had the money Murphy. Otherwise an addition of Cespedes and another IF would go a long way to making us in the conversation as competitors.

and i know i will shoot myself in the dang foot, but hades, i would even sign alexei to a nice team deal for yr. i still like his hitting, even thou his avg last yr wasn't too good.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 08:50 PM)

i am also looking at the potential growth of the white sox as a team in the popularity side. next yr the other team is going to run over the sox if the sox doesn't do something to stop it ..... or at least slow it down.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 01:55 PM)
and i know i will shoot myself in the dang foot, but hades, i would even sign alexei to a nice team deal for yr. i still like his hitting, even thou his avg last yr wasn't too good.

I was thinking the same thing honestly. Although I wonder if he could play second and allow Saldanio to still play SS. Alexi has seemed to get worse on D but I think he'd be above average at 2B.