Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 12:03 PM)
I wonder if the players and GMs look at Twitter and laugh their asses off at all of this.

Hahn commented a few weeks ago how he couldn't believe some of the stuff that was out there, and some of the actual stuff that wasn't out there. Of course, he and his fellow MLB people have a lot to do with that. And with social media now, there are thousands upon thousands of fake reporters.

Edited by Dick Allen

Looks like Wikipedia jumped the gun.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoenis_C%C3%A9spedes

This is still there as of now:

Chicago White SoxEdit

On December 30, 2015, Céspedes agreed to a 5 yr/$84 million contract with the Chicago White Sox, citing his interest in playing along fellow members of the team of Cuban descent.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
This is still there as of now:

Chicago White SoxEdit

On December 30, 2015, Céspedes agreed to a 5 yr/$84 million contract with the Chicago White Sox, citing his interest in playing along fellow members of the team of Cuban descent.

If he signs for that little, I'll eat my hat.

I keep going back to Gordon and Davis going back to their 2015 teams...until both of those guys tell the Royals and Orioles they aren't coming back, nothing else will happen. Hopefully they've set some artificial deadline (like January 1st) to get something done. At some point, they have to move on and sign elsewhere. Maybe it drags to about January 15th, but those are the guys that have to fall first...or at least be excluded from going back.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 12:14 PM)
I keep going back to Gordon and Davis going back to their 2015 teams...until both of those guys tell the Royals and Orioles they aren't coming back, nothing else will happen. Hopefully they've set some artificial deadline (like January 1st) to get something done. At some point, they have to move on and sign elsewhere. Maybe it drags to about January 15th, but those are the guys that have to fall first...or at least be excluded from going back.

What benefit do the players get from telling a bidder they are out?

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)
What benefit do the players get from telling a bidder they are out?

I think Gordon and Davis both want to go back to their 2015 teams. They want to hear an offer from those teams so they can stay there. But at some point, if they don't get a best and final offer compared to what their other offers are, then they'll have to exclude them. I don't think Cesepdes or Upton sign anywhere until the Royals and Orioles know what they're up against.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)
...And with social media now, there are thousands upon thousands of fake reporters.

I'm internally debating if this is the cause of the laughably inaccurate, ever-changing news coverage on the 24 hour networks, or a product of them. It's very much a which came first: the chicken or the egg kind of deal. Hate it.

A team I haven't heard a lot of people mention but that might be in play for Cespedes is Washington. They made that big offer to Heyward so they obviously have the money, and they still need an OF. Wouldn't surprise me if they get in at the last minute.

Washington is still a possibility but they did get Murphy.

Maybe they are waiting until Thursday evening at 11:59pm to announce the signing. That would be a cold blooded move that would impress some people and show the world that Hahn has stones. f*** you Ghost of Dick Clark. My name is Rick Hahn how you like my balls dropping.

:)

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 01:04 PM)
This is from someone in a position to get info but I don't know if I can trust. The two numbers he threw out were 5/108 and 6/125. Take with whatever amount of salt you like. Scott Merkin told me the Sox won't go over 100 million.

Did this someone mention how close we are on a potential deal?