• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They accomplished several positive things:

1) Didn't spend any money.

2) Are taking on a very reasonable contract, both in money and years

3) Kept all of the most important prospects

4) Didn't hurt the defense

5) Acquired a middle of the order bat, if he can hit AL pitching better than his career history suggests.

6) Will maximize Lawrie's offense, which now becomes a big + for a second baseman

7) Kept all the draft picks, so far

8) They can now see if La Roche can provide some left handed pop, on a platoon basis, hitting 6TH

If they sign a big OF bat, they could have a formidable offense. The question is; will they?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
I get the feeling that they want to give him more time before pegging him as a platoon OF or giving up and moving him.

I sure hope not. If you are making this type of move you shouldn't be going into next year with a guy who is likely going to be a massive hole in the lineup.

QUOTE (aboz56 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 11:40 AM)
Why is everyone sweating Thompson?

He played well late last season in meaningless games. Sox sold high.

He was a bright spot in an otherwise s***ty season so I think it's natural. That said, I'm 100 percent with you, I enjoyed Trayce but selling high on him is the right move.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 11:29 AM)
Montas is the only thing of real value. Sucks for him too because he's probably most valuable on the White Sox.

True, and its not that much value anyway. We held on to our top prospects and pulled in a middle of the order bat. Micah and Trayce were bench players/ultility guys at best. Whats not to like?

QUOTE (aboz56 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:40 PM)

Well one point, no matter what else they ad, as of right now they're still looking at a very poor defensive OF. Eaton could recover his 2014 form in CF, and if they add an expensive OF that could help 1 corner, but there will be no "strong plus defenders" out there and at least 1, possibly as many as 3, rotten defenders out there.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 11:42 AM)
He was a bright spot in an otherwise s***ty season so I think it's natural. That said, I'm 100 percent with you, I enjoyed Trayce but selling high on him is the right move.

Yup, he's a nice piece to have on a rebuilding team, see what you have without caring much about the extreme bust chance. But if you want to compete you really don't want to play that game.

QUOTE (aboz56 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 11:40 AM)

He played well late last season in meaningless games. Sox sold high.

True, they sold high, and that's why I'm not complaining more. But a guy coming up and immediately succeeding isn't something we see very much on the hitting side.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 06:44 PM)
Montas had 20 ks in 15 innings for the White Sox. That doesn't scream lack of deception.

Seemed like most of them were on his slider, which to me was a better pitch than his fastball. As a starter though, he would struggle with only two pitches. Definite late-inning reliever to me.