Sox Acquire All-Star 3B Todd Frazier from Reds in 3 team deal

Princess Dye

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want this to work very badly, but I've seen this before and other than Thome it hasn't worked. I would've been fine with Micah, Montas and something else other than Trayce. Not happy but still OK with it.

Thompson was a cheap, low risk guy to start the season splitting AB's in RF. If he succeeded the Sox have him under control for years, if he didn't at least they tried. It's not like Thompson wouldve had some huge financial and prospects-in-a-trade investment tied up in him. Anderson and Owens aren't reasons to give up on Thompson, Sox can't just write off minor league call ups because they have been burned before and aren't on some arbitrary top 100 list.

More than half the Sox lineup is still pretty worthless, would've rather seen a quantity of replacements at more positions than ransacking youthful replacements close to the majors to fill a vacancy they filled literally 2 weeks ago.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:39 PM)
I don't really get the logic. The team is better on paper today than it was yesterday. Is the roster perfect? Hell no but one thing at a time. At least now they have some legit proven everyday infielders and won't be trotting out marginal guys like Sanchez, Micah and an aging overpriced Ramirez.

The team has a s*** load of holes a couple are now filled. More work needs to be done and some positive regression will go a long way.

This is very accurate. This is a much better, but still flawed team. Not quite sure why a team has to be a playoff team to be watchable, but to each his own.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:42 PM)
I think it continues the "High spending, low impact, weak system" philosophy we've seen and failed with for the last decade. We'll get a fine player, but even when we dump a ton of money into a back loaded contract for an OF in a couple weeks, we'll still be FAR behind the teams at the top of the division that have developed their own guys, we'll still see the same failures, we have absolutely zero depth if anyone gets hurt, and even with the big spending OF we'll still have multiple major holes in the lineup. And no, I can't tell you which guy the White Sox acquire will underperform, or which guy will get hurt, but it's the same gamble as last year. Bet the house, no plans for what to do when things go wrong, ignore the fact that things do go wrong.

Same story again and again.

I disagree that we'd be FAR behind the teams in our division. What have the Twins done? The Royals lost a ton this offseason and got career years out of a few guys. The Indians should be better in 2016 than in 2015 but they're far from some juggernaut of a team. The Tigers still have little pitching. The AL Central is pretty wide open.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)
More than half the Sox lineup is still pretty worthless, would've rather seen a quantity of replacements at more positions than ransacking youthful replacements close to the majors to fill a vacancy they filled literally 2 weeks ago.

Enlighten me. Which of these 5 (out of 9, to say more than half) are worthless?

LF- Melky

CF- Eaton

RF- Garcia

3B- Frazier

SS- Saladino

2B- Lawrie

1B- Abreu

DH- LaRoche

C- Avila/Navarro

I'd only define 2 as "worthless".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 10:42 AM)
I think it continues the "High spending, low impact, weak system" philosophy we've seen and failed with for the last decade. We'll get a fine player, but even when we dump a ton of money into a back loaded contract for an OF in a couple weeks, we'll still be FAR behind the teams at the top of the division that have developed their own guys, we'll still see the same failures, we have absolutely zero depth if anyone gets hurt, and even with the big spending OF we'll still have multiple major holes in the lineup. And no, I can't tell you which guy the White Sox acquire will underperform, or which guy will get hurt, but it's the same gamble as last year. Bet the house, no plans for what to do when things go wrong, ignore the fact that things do go wrong.

Same story again and again.

If you replace Avi Garcia with Justin Upton, I don't think any team in the division has a better line-up, and our starting pitching is top tier as well.

Eaton

Melky

Abreu

Upton

Frazier

LaRoche

Lawrie

Avila/Navarro

Saladino

That's a strong line-up with some decent speed and power. Not to mention you have one of the best defensive left sides of the infield in baseball

Edited by Knackattack

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:42 PM)
That described 2/3 of the teams in MLB. The 2nd WC makes a big difference. For once perhaps some guys exceed expectations. I know it's a stretch but what if Avi isn't really a 0 WAR player? Stranger things have happened.

Is it likely? No, but you don't just wait around for the perfect storm to try and build a monster club. The Cubs did it but it's not f***ing easy and most teams are in the same boat the Sox are.

The likelihood is the key part of the equation though. If you're gonna trade future for present, you have to be confident that the result will be reasonably likely to make the postseason. In my mind, the Sox are not at that level. If they fix Avi's slot, they'll be closer, and then I'll find the Frazier trade more acceptable.

In a vaccum, we got a good return for some pieces I'll miss a little. It's not a vacuum.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:49 PM)
Replacing Garcia and the lineup is going to look a whole lot different with the infielders we added and the new catching combination. Really if you replace him with Upton the real stinker is you still have LaRoche.

And then he might bounce back to his career norm.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:49 PM)
The likelihood is the key part of the equation though. If you're gonna trade future for present, you have to be confident that the result will be reasonably likely to make the postseason. In my mind, the Sox are not at that level. If they fix Avi's slot, they'll be closer, and then I'll find the Frazier trade more acceptable.

In a vaccum, we got a good return for some pieces I'll miss a little. It's not a vacuum.

Except we didn't really trade "the future". We traded flawed players that needed a lot to go right to be "the future". The Future is still here in Anderson, Fulmer, and Adams.

Enlighten me. Which of these 5 (out of 9, to say more than half) are worthless?

LF- Melky

CF- Eaton

RF- Garcia

3B- Frazier

SS- Saladino

2B- Lawrie

1B- Abreu

DH- LaRoche

C- Avila/Navarro

I'd only define 2 as "worthless".

Melky, Avi, Saladino, LaRoche and the catcher platoon is an impressive collection of bench talent, if that, that the Sox will have killing the rallies started by Lawrie, Frazier, Abreu and Eaton (for the purposes of this argument and my sanity going forward I'll just pretend Frazier and Lawrie will be fine ballplayers).

For those of you who are bemoaning what we gave up, I'll just say the Sox are traditionally very good at knowing what they have in their own prospects. It was becoming more and more apparent that Montas was headed to the bullpen and Micah Johnson has a great offensive skill-set but could not stay healthy and had a lot of defensive shortcomings.

As for Trayce Thompson, over seven(!) minor league seasons, he is a career .241/.319/.429 hitter. Not a single person on this message board would of been crying if we flipped in July for anything of value. His MLB debut was great, but it was a very small sample size and it is likely he will regress heavily in 2016.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 10:48 AM)
If you replace Avi Garcia with Justin Upton, I don't think any team in the division has a better line-up, and our starting pitching is top tier as well.

Eaton

Melky

Abreu

Upton

Frazier

LaRoche

Lawrie

Avila/Navarro

Saladino

That's a strong line-up with some decent speed and power. Not to mention you have one of the best defensive left sides of the infield in baseball

The team has clearly upgraded 2B, 3B, and catcher. If we upgrade the outfield, in theory, we also will have significantly upgraded the bench and our DH spot. So we'd be a deeper team that upgraded numerous positions.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:52 PM)
Melky, Avi, Saladino, LaRoche and the catcher platoon is an impressive collection of bench talent, if that, that the Sox will have killing the rallies started by Lawrie, Frazier, Abreu and Eaton (for the purposes of this argument and my sanity going forward I'll just pretend Frazier and Lawrie will be fine ballplayers).

Avi and LaRoche, I'll give you as "worthless". But, IMO, Melky's RBI's/average gives him worth, as does Saladino's defense, and the catchers, given that it's by far the weakest position in baseball.