Sox Acquire All-Star 3B Todd Frazier from Reds in 3 team deal

Princess Dye

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)
Except we didn't really trade "the future". We traded flawed players that needed a lot to go right to be "the future". The Future is still here in Anderson, Fulmer, and Adams.

Yo're right. I just typed "future" as shorthand.

Some people held the opinions being expressed at high volumes in this thread weeks ago, and credit to them. I will just say that I bet if we had polled the board on Montas, Micah, and Trayce three hours ago, the result would have been a lot different than it looks now. It is common practice to minimize the talent of the players your team trades away.

Once again: In a vacuum, fair trade. If we're done, I don't like it. If we get an outfielder, I like it.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
Even just signing Parra for RF is an immense offensive, and defensive improvement and would probably make this team an instant contender.

Parra is an enigma. Dudes defensive WAR has drastically declined the last two years. If we're talking '11-13 Parra, definitely.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)
Except we didn't really trade "the future". We traded flawed players that needed a lot to go right to be "the future". The Future is still here in Anderson, Fulmer, and Adams.

If anyone is upset about trading Thompson and Johnson then you need to use google a bit more. Thompson is less promising than Brian Anderson was.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 10:55 AM)
Avi and LaRoche, I'll give you as "worthless". But, IMO, Melky's RBI's/average gives him worth, as does Saladino's defense, and the catchers, given that it's by far the weakest position in baseball.

I agree. And I don't understand the hate on our catchers, Avila used to be one of the top LH hitting catchers around and Navarro has been consistently strong as an offensive C. Platooned correctly and we will probably have one of the highest catcher WAR's in the AL. We're probably going to see 20 HR out of those two to top it off.

Some people just can't be pleased. They are probably the same people that would have told you last week we didn't have the bullets to get Frazier without Fulmer/Anderson and now that Hahn did it they have to find a way to be pissed off. They'll also be the same people cheering for him when he puts up an .800 OPS for 7.5 m next season

Avi and LaRoche, I'll give you as "worthless". But, IMO, Melky's RBI's/average gives him worth, as does Saladino's defense, and the catchers, given that it's by far the weakest position in baseball.

It's OK to have mediocre catchers if the rest of the lineup is good. It's even OK to have a SS with limited offensive ability if the rest of the lineup is good. It's not OK to have a corner OF who can't do anything well, and another who needs roids to be an above-average player. You can't have all of the above, plus a DH who is just cashing a check before he goes back down south to live out his Duck Dynasty fantasy.

The Sox are roughly the same team they were yesterday.

QUOTE (staxx @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)
The negativity about this trade is unbelievable.

What Trayce did in the last month is the type of player he is going to be.

Probably a 75% chance Montas is a reliever, and I'm not even sold he'll be successful at one.

Isn't it really like 5 people that are negative vs. 25+ that are positive? I think their is a segment, including myself, that views this deal as positive as long as it isn't the final piece. If we are going to contend, we need to build a team that truly can contend. That team exists if we find a significant upgrade in the OF (offensively and defensively). Anything more, at that point, is gravy. I think the package with the Reds was fair and I love the fact that Frazier can play above average D. Only thing I don't like about Frazier's game is the lack of OBP.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
It's OK to have mediocre catchers if the rest of the lineup is good. It's even OK to have a SS with limited offensive ability if the rest of the lineup is good. It's not OK to have a corner OF who can't do anything well, and another who needs roids to be an above-average player. You can't have all of the above, plus a DH who is just cashing a check before he goes back down south to live out his Duck Dynasty fantasy.

This I don't agree with. The Sox are better than they were yesterday. They just need to stick the landing.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 11:00 AM)

The Sox are about 3-4 WAR better than they were yesterday, which is about 5-6 WAR better than the end of the year. Add in that we managed to dump Shark and all we need is a meager improvement in the outfield to be in contention for the division.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)

Soooo...you think an infield of Abreu/Sanchez/Saladino/Lawrie is the same as Abreu/Lawrie/Saladino/Frazier?

Mmm-hmm...tell me more about baseball.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
David Haugh ‏@DavidHaugh 3m3 minutes ago

Jose Abreu's reaction to White Sox trade for Todd Frazier, in English from El Floridita: "He's a good player who can hit. I love it."

Side note, good for Jose. He's been working hard to learn English.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:48 PM)
If you replace Avi Garcia with Justin Upton, I don't think any team in the division has a better line-up, and our starting pitching is top tier as well.

Eaton

Melky

Abreu

Upton

Frazier

LaRoche

Lawrie

Avila/Navarro

Saladino

That's a strong line-up with some decent speed and power. Not to mention you have one of the best defensive left sides of the infield in baseball

Maaaan... if you go out and get Upton and have LaRoche's rejuvenated bat in the middle of that order. You might really have something.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:04 PM)
Maaaan... if you go out and get Upton and have LaRoche's rejuvenated bat in the middle of that order. You might really have something.

There is a small part of me that is ecstatic about next season... there's a very small chance that everyone has years to their career averages with some of the younger guys improving, and we'd be a playoff team.

This I don't agree with. The Sox are better than they were yesterday. They just need to stick the landing.

They are still a team that can catch fire because they have starting pitching in spades, but can easily wallow because Sale/Q/Rodon won't get any run support and everything collapses. Losing Samardzija is still probably the best move of this offseason.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:37 PM)
Was already planning on that. At least this year when they're below .500 I won't be nearly as annoyed, I just won't care.

And maybe we won't have to read the negative Nancy BS you spew on here everyday. Do us all a favor...