Sox Acquire All-Star 3B Todd Frazier from Reds in 3 team deal

Princess Dye

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:25 PM)
F this nonsense. I don't want to deal with another flounder. Ventura is going to kick ass and take names and get an extension after he wins the series!!

Hopefully most of us would rather see Robin succeed and get an extension. That's good news for everyone involved because that means we're winning.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's an all star. We have someone to root for in home run derby.

Meanwhile, the team and org. got worse.

The Sox had stabilized 3B. The weaknesses were OF defense and a mediocre bullpen.

So what did they do? Traded a OF who plays impeccable D and hit nearly .900 OPS. Brilliant!

They traded a pitcher who could have been an actual stopper, of which there is exactly one.

They cry about lack of hitting, so they traded an IF who can hit!!!!

Oh, and they crowded out yet another young IF. 2B wasn't an issue. We had great D there from a YOUNG player (which, I know, is a negative on the Sox).

This org's disdain for young players is beyond belief.

The irony of course is that at least 2 of those guys, if not all 3, will make the 92 win Dodgers 25 man. But they weren't good enough for the 25 man of Robbie and Cooper's 76 win Sox.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 03:25 PM)
F this nonsense. I don't want to deal with another flounder. Ventura is going to kick ass and take names and get an extension after he wins the series!!

Just make LaRoche the player manager with the condition he only plays 1B and only on days a RHP is on the mound. Get two birds stoned with one joint.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:14 PM)
Its unbelievable really. And this is coming from someone who loves Trayce and wasn't the biggest Frazier fan because of our already lack of OBP on this team. But his defense and power help immensely on this team. He can regress in both categories and will STILL be better than the crap we've been trotting out at 3B since Beckham's rookie season. Hell even streamer jas him regressing to a 3 WAR player. I'll take that and run every time.

Exactly. I would rather focus on the positive aspects of the upgrade instead of nit-picking the potential negatives and bringing down the thread. Like you I preferred more OBP but I also wanted better defense and power, both of which Frazier accomplishes. I'll miss Thompson and Montas potential upsides but I won't miss Gillaspie, Beckham and Olt. ;)

How do people not like this deal. We kept fulmer and anderson. Micah wouldnt have started or played for us even if we didnt get lawrie. Trayce is a fourth outfielder and montas may be decent. We upgraded a lot at third.

The people mad arr probaly the same people mad about us trading seimen last year. Even though shark was bad i would take a comp pick any day for what we sent to oakland.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:25 PM)
I think that a lot of people share their initial reactions before allowing some time to think about it and let other posts influence how they feel.

I learned about the trade about an hour after it happened, and as I read the initial posts my feeling was that "I hope we didn't just trade all 3 of those guys for just Frazier..."

As a fan, I was excited to see if TT could stick in our outfield, and to see if Montas could help the back end of our bullpen. Micah Johnson I wasn't excited about. Losing those "exciting" things hurts, initially. And then, add the idea that worries me along with several other posters, that Frazier will struggle in the AL, and right away it seems like we paid too much. I was about ready to post as such.

But I kept reading the thread and thoughts others have shared. The fact that we didn't have to trade Anderson or Fulmer. The significant detractors of the 3 prospects we traded. Frazier is a power hitter that this lineup desperately needs while also being above average defensively.

Initially, I was kind of upset, but with most trades that happen, after the initial feelings a general contentedness settles in and I feel better.

However, I absolutely agree that if you want to contend, you need to upgrade RF or LF, or both. Avi carries considerable risk as a starting OF for us. Our team is going to be much better off with Avi in AAA being a depth piece for us should one of our starting OFs get injured.

Nice post. I agree.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 11:26 AM)

The Sox had stabilized 3B. The weaknesses were OF defense and a mediocre bullpen.

So what did they do? Traded a OF who plays impeccable D and hit nearly .900 OPS. Brilliant!

They traded a pitcher who could have been an actual stopper, of which there is exactly one.

Oh, and they crowded out yet another young IF. 2B wasn't an issue. We had great D there from a YOUNG player (which, I know, is a negative on the Sox).

The irony of course is that at least 2 of those guys, if not all 3, will make the 92 win Dodgers 25 man. But they weren't good enough for the 25 man of Robbie and Cooper's 76 win Sox.

3B was a pretty big issue as well. I am Trayce's biggest fan and absolutely think he has a place on a major league team. That said, I'd bet against his initial hot start being the norm and bet more on him being a slightly average to below average bat and an above average defender. All good things but to get a 3B who is well above average at both is huge. Who knows, maybe Trayce is really a poor man Heyward in the analytic world though and his defense will be so good that pedestrian offensive numbers are just fine.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)

expected erroneous post is expectedly erroneous

Come on man, this is so intellectually dishonest. Trayce is not a .900 OPS guy.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:28 PM)
Come on man, this is so intellectually dishonest. Trayce is not a .900 OPS guy.

The fact that there are people here who believe TT is a .900 OPS guy is enough that we should move him. He's not very good at baseball but his value is very high.

Trayce Thompson has a .748 OPS in seven minor league seasons.

You complain about defense, but then complain because they traded a 2B who cant play any.

Use your brains.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)
Glad they didn't give up something major. Will this be the third veteran NL player that can't get it done in the AL? This is my worry. At least he can play the field. It didn't cost us Q. Great trade.

I was actually just watching clips of Adam Dunn in 2004 when he was with the Reds. Man was he thin....what the hell happened?

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:25 PM)
I think that a lot of people share their initial reactions before allowing some time to think about it and let other posts influence how they feel.

I learned about the trade about an hour after it happened, and as I read the initial posts my feeling was that "I hope we didn't just trade all 3 of those guys for just Frazier..."

As a fan, I was excited to see if TT could stick in our outfield, and to see if Montas could help the back end of our bullpen. Micah Johnson I wasn't excited about. Losing those "exciting" things hurts, initially. And then, add the idea that worries me along with several other posters, that Frazier will struggle in the AL, and right away it seems like we paid too much. I was about ready to post as such.

But I kept reading the thread and thoughts others have shared. The fact that we didn't have to trade Anderson or Fulmer. The significant detractors of the 3 prospects we traded. Frazier is a power hitter that this lineup desperately needs while also being above average defensively.

Initially, I was kind of upset, but with most trades that happen, after the initial feelings a general contentedness settles in and I feel better.

However, I absolutely agree that if you want to contend, you need to upgrade RF or LF, or both. Avi carries considerable risk as a starting OF for us. Our team is going to be much better off with Avi in AAA being a depth piece for us should one of our starting OFs get injured.

Great post. It's easy to get swept away when a big move goes down. My excitement is just tempered because we got burned last year, and I'm trying to resist the temptation to s*** on the guys we just sent away. I was never a Micah fan but I think Montas is a useful major leaguer and Trayce is a niche one.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 02:28 PM)
3B was a pretty big issue as well. I am Trayce's biggest fan and absolutely think he has a place on a major league team. That said, I'd bet against his initial hot start being the norm and bet more on him being a slightly average to below average bat and an above average defender. All good things but to get a 3B who is well above average at both is huge. Who knows, maybe Trayce is really a poor man Heyward in the analytic world though and his defense will be so good that pedestrian offensive numbers are just fine.

I'm not sure if I'm just reading this wrong, but Frazier doesn't come through as "well above average" defensively in UZR. Normalized to playing 150 games, UZR/150, he put up a 7.5. Kris Bryant, who people keep wanting to move off of 3b, put up a 5.4. The "Well above average" people, like Beltre, Longoria, etc., all put up >10.