Sox Acquire All-Star 3B Todd Frazier from Reds in 3 team deal

Princess Dye

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 11:57 AM)
Melky seemed to be getting it together as the season progressed. One of the best memories this season is that big July winning streak where we'd put up 7-10 runs per game and Melky went 18-35.

Yeah but his season thudded after that. I don't think he proved anything.

wRC+ by month:

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:02 PM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Immediate question: Why didn’t #Reds take #WhiteSox’s package instead of #Dodgers’? Rival execs think LAD did much better than CIN.

Funny that the Sox and Dodgers both dealt prospects in the dame deal and what the Sox gave up is considered stronger, especially with 2 being position players.

I think there's too much weight being given to Todd's interleague splits by those down on this deal. You're looking at roughly half a season of at-bats over the last 4 years and trying to translate that to what we should expect...that's not fair. While he still struggled during interleague last season, he hit much better than he had the previous two which tells me that he may have become more familiar with the pitching...but again, sample size, so who knows.

He's a talented player and is filling a position that has been a black hole on this team for nearly a decade. Even slashing .250/.310/.450 with ~25hr per season with decent D will serve as a HUGE upgrade for the Sox. This also allows us to fill another perpetual black hole at 2b with another solid bat in Lawrie. Fantastic moves that didn't cost us much in the way of talent.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)
The beat guys are saying the organization loves Saladino at SS, wanted to build up offense around him.

With the additions of Fraizer and Lawrie now at 2B, instead of 3B, you can hide a guy like Saladino better, especially if they can add a power bat in the OF too.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)
I think there's too much weight being given to Todd's interleague splits by those down on this deal. You're looking at roughly half a season of at-bats over the last 4 years and trying to translate that to what we should expect...that's not fair. While he still struggled during interleague last season, he hit much better than he had the previous two which tells me that he may have become more familiar with the pitching...but again, sample size, so who knows.

He's a talented player and is filling a position that has been a black hole on this team for nearly a decade. Even slashing .250/.310/.450 with ~25hr per season with decent D will serve as a HUGE upgrade for the Sox. This also allows us to fill another perpetual black hole at 2b with another solid bat in Lawrie. Fantastic moves that didn't cost us much in the way of talent.

I don't know if that will happen.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 09:29 AM)
I have to say, I find this deal fair, and it makes a lot of sense. I'm nervous, because every deal Hahn made that has been fair and makes sense has been a disaster.

I agree this deal is fair. I'd consider it a slight win if we make the OF move we are all waiting for. If we don't, than I think much less of this deal.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)

Lawrie had an OBP of .299 and was a 0.6 WAR player last year. You can always hope for the best but it's not like we picked up the 2nd coming of Joe Morgan.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 09:33 AM)
The Sox farm system just went down a couple of pegs.

I really liked Micah and Montas who was throwing 100 at a game I was at. Trayce is overrated but would be a great 4th OF.

This move is fine as long as they don't stop now boys. If you go into the season like this hoping for Avi to finally discover the difference between a ball and a strike, not only do you waste Sale, Abreu, Q. You also waste half of your control with both Lawrie and Frazier. It is imperative to get another bat for the OF.

Agreed. I wonder if the Sox are going to use some additional bullets for a younger, cost-controlled guy or try and buy low on Puig. The whole just spend $20M per year long term is pretty risky vs. trading for a younger asset (if you can find it).

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 06:10 PM)
If the Warriors don't win the NBA championship this past year, I'm not sure this deal gets done as is. Probably Trayce's most valuable asset to is his name value.

Agree, just like how Samardzija would be less hyped if he played at New Mexico