Sox Acquire All-Star 3B Todd Frazier from Reds in 3 team deal

Princess Dye

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)
This takes the CarGo deal away which is fine. It's Upton or Cespedes now. Really love the deal from our side.

I disagree with this statement. You think that's the case because we traded Montas and you think that's the only pitcher in our system that they would want? I'm not saying we will trade for CarGo, but this deal doesn't prevent that from happening.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:24 PM)
Mission accomplished. Williams crowded out 3promising young players so Robbie and Coope don't have to deal with them. Williams got more low OBP. Another vet slugger.

And we get the same horrendous outfield D as last year.

Horrible trade

I've been waiting for this post all day.

Just wrong on all levels.

Micah had no future on this team. Montas, while I think he will start, can very likely be in the bullpen, and Trayce a 4th OF, career 240 ML hitter with great defense.

That's all we gave up? Ok. Sign me up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:35 PM)
And exactly what they've been doing for a decade.

So instead of complaining just to complain what aspect of the trade don't you like? Is it just the fact that the sox are the sox so f*** this trade? Or are you high on one of/multiple players in the package we gave up?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 02:36 PM)
On the bright side, this will save you a lot of time watching baseball next year.

I don't really get the logic. The team is better on paper today than it was yesterday. Is the roster perfect? Hell no but one thing at a time. At least now they have some legit proven everyday infielders and won't be trotting out marginal guys like Sanchez, Micah and an aging overpriced Ramirez.

The team has a s*** load of holes a couple are now filled. More work needs to be done and some positive regression will go a long way.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:37 PM)
Was already planning on that. At least this year when they're below .500 I won't be nearly as annoyed, I just won't care.

Well you clearly care or you wouldn't be in this thread making multiple posts trying to make others miserable with you.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)
LOL, why? We gave up next to nothing for an excellent middle of the order 3B with plus D.

Because we'd be caught in the middle. The team's not good enough to compete with Avi in the outfield.

I also strongly disagree with the "next to nothing" characterization. I think what we gave up was pretty fair, but Montas is a good prospect, even if he's just a reliever. We've seen what good relievers can get in a trade.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)
It needs to be repeated every four posts or so, because it's that important: If this is not followed by the acquisition of a good outfielder, it is a horrible trade.

Why? Money? You think Trayce, Micah, and Frankie are future HOF players? Hell, you think they're even MLB starting caliber players?

I guess we should've just gone into this season with Mike Olt at 3rd and Carlos Sanchez at 2b....at least we'd still have Trayce Thompson roaming the OF :ph34r:

Why are so many posters upset with the trade?

The Sox gave up a guy who can't play defense or stay healthy, a guy who throws hard but doesn't know where it is going and a guy fans love because of a couple of highlight catches?

For an all-star slugging 3rd baseman who greatly improves the team defense and lineup? That isn't super expensive?

I don't get it...

This is the best 3rd baseman the Sox have had since 2006 and could possibly be better.

Surprised to see anyone upset. This is a great trade. Frazier is an impact offensive player at a position of need. White Sox gave up Montas (back end reliever), Micah Johnson (2B with no defensive upside), and Trayce Thompson (4th OF). They didn't have to give up Tim Anderson or Carson Fulmer. If I would have told people 2 weeks ago that they'd get Brett Lawrie and Todd Frazier for TT, Montas, Micah, Wendelken, and Zack Erwin, most people would have thought that isn't enough. The White Sox got better today.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
Offensively we've fixed quite a bit, and I also believe an improvement defensively in the infield. We still need to get one more OF to be competitive.

I dont believe that Hahn is going to let Garcia sit in the OF uncontested atleast for his job. Atleast it didnt sound that way from his comments about Garcia.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)
Because we'd be caught in the middle. The team's not good enough to compete with Avi in the outfield.

I also strongly disagree with the "next to nothing" characterization. I think what we gave up was pretty fair, but Montas is a good prospect, even if he's just a reliever. We've seen what good relievers can get in a trade.

That described 2/3 of the teams in MLB. The 2nd WC makes a big difference. For once perhaps some guys exceed expectations. I know it's a stretch but what if Avi isn't really a 0 WAR player? Stranger things have happened.

Is it likely? No, but you don't just wait around for the perfect storm to try and build a monster club. The Cubs did it but it's not f***ing easy and most teams are in the same boat the Sox are.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:36 PM)
So instead of complaining just to complain what aspect of the trade don't you like? Is it just the fact that the sox are the sox so f*** this trade? Or are you high on one of/multiple players in the package we gave up?

I think it continues the "High spending, low impact, weak system" philosophy we've seen and failed with for the last decade. We'll get a fine player, but even when we dump a ton of money into a back loaded contract for an OF in a couple weeks, we'll still be FAR behind the teams at the top of the division that have developed their own guys, we'll still see the same failures, we have absolutely zero depth if anyone gets hurt, and even with the big spending OF we'll still have multiple major holes in the lineup. And no, I can't tell you which guy the White Sox acquire will underperform, or which guy will get hurt, but it's the same gamble as last year. Bet the house, no plans for what to do when things go wrong, ignore the fact that things do go wrong.

Same story again and again.