98 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Justin Upton
    • Yoenis Cespedes

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)
I'd be fine with Raburn on a minor league deal with a chance to be a platoon partner with LaRoche.

Raburn would be a good get just in terms of the Sox not having to pitch to the guy next year LOL

Seriously though, if you had to choose between Shuck and Raburn as your 4th...who do you take? Shuck obviously has the lefty bat.

If given the choice Cespedes. Something bugs me about Upton. With his age and all, you'd think teams would be knocking down his door to get him signed and that doesn't seem to be the case. I wonder if there are some red flags we don't know about that many baseball people do. Cespedes can be a dynamic bat for the Sox. If the Sox can find a taker for Melky, Cespedes is your everyday LF.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 11:06 AM)
Celebrate all you want, but the most important part of the offseason is whether or not JR will open the wallet on Upton, Gordon or Cespedes.

Do that, you win back everyone you've lost and skepticism diminishes almost completely.

Start Opening Day with Avi, Saladino and LaRoche in the line-up and expectations are tempered. Half-assed and pointless.

Hanley Ramiez, CarGo, Ethier, Blackmon, Peralta, Fowler, Span or Parra leaves you somewhere in-between. 3/4's of the way but that undoubtedly means the Tigers and/or Royals have one of Upton, Gordon, Davis, Desmond or Cespedes.

Please leave the Royals out of all conversations about big name free agents. According to this they are offering Gordon 4 years $52 million, what the White Sox did when Ventura was a free agent and they wanted to show the fanbase they "tried"

http://www.royalsreview.com/2015/12/16/103...9892.1442855805

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)
Please leave the Royals out of all conversations about big name free agents. According to this they are offering Gordon 4 years $52 million, what the White Sox did when Ventura was a free agent and they wanted to show the fanbase they "tried"

http://www.royalsreview.com/2015/12/16/103...9892.1442855805

Great, cause he's the best fit of anyone. How about a 4 year $70M deal to get conversations started.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 11:57 AM)
If given the choice Cespedes. Something bugs me about Upton. With his age and all, you'd think teams would be knocking down his door to get him signed and that doesn't seem to be the case. I wonder if there are some red flags we don't know about that many baseball people do. Cespedes can be a dynamic bat for the Sox. If the Sox can find a taker for Melky, Cespedes is your everyday LF.

Sign Cespedes, throw him in left field and move Melky to primary DH where he belongs. Avi is in RF barring an OF pick-up on the secondary market (Parra maybe?). Put LaWhiff at the end of the bench as a late inning defensive guy and a left handed bat off the bench, assuming you can't find any takers of course.

Might boil down to this $$-wise: would you rather have Avi in RF and Lexi back at SS? Or Salad at SS and a new RF from the batch of available 2nd tier FA's?

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 12:19 PM)
I don't think he's the best fit because he plays LF, we need someone to play RF.

I happen to think Melky should be the DH most of the time, so LF is open. RF can be a LH FA (Parra or Span) or Shuck / Avi platoon. Melky sucks defensively and needs to play as little OF as possible.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 12:16 PM)
5 years $90 million or 4 years $85million

I'd be fine with that in the end, but if the Royals at really offering 4/$52M, they may not need to go that high.

EDIT: I'd prefer to go 4 year than 5 with Gordon, but wouldn't be upset if they had to go 5 to get him. Upton and Cespedes I'd be more comfortable with 5 years.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 01:23 PM)
I happen to think Melky should be the DH most of the time, so LF is open. RF can be a LH FA (Parra or Span) or Shuck / Avi platoon. Melky sucks defensively and needs to play as little OF as possible.

Ideally Melky should be DH, but realistically that's not gonna happen, because Laroche is gonna play everyday, or at least (hopefully only) vs all righties, just as a result of the fact that he's making 12 million dollars.

QUOTE (JRL @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 01:46 PM)
Ideally Melky should be DH, but realistically that's not gonna happen, because Laroche is gonna play everyday, or at least (hopefully only) vs all righties, just as a result of the fact that he's making 12 million dollars.

SO sick of the thought that since a guy is being paid 12 million, he has to play. I think that's idiotic--just compounding a bad contract decision by putting a bum in the lineup because he makes so much$$. Never bought into that, especially without a salary cap.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 02:51 PM)
SO sick of the thought that since a guy is being paid 12 million, he has to play. I think that's idiotic--just compounding a bad contract decision by putting a bum in the lineup because he makes so much$$. Never bought into that, especially without a salary cap.

I agree with you that I don't think that way, but I'm pretty sure the Sox do, so thats the reality. If they didn't think that way there is no reason that Danks wouldn't have been moved to the bullpen as a LOOGY or something in 2015, as Erik Johnson was continually tearing up AAA. Johnson might bust and not be better than Danks, but he couldn't have really been meaningfully worse. Only reason there could have possibly been to keep Danks in rotation was his salary.

QUOTE (JRL @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 02:59 PM)
I agree with you that I don't think that way, but I'm pretty sure the Sox do, so thats the reality. If they didn't think that way there is no reason that Danks wouldn't have been moved to the bullpen as a LOOGY or something in 2015, as Erik Johnson was continually tearing up AAA. Johnson might bust and not be better than Danks, but he couldn't have really been meaningfully worse. Only reason there could have possibly been to keep Danks in rotation was his salary.

More than likely they were giving Danks a chance to try to prove he had something left so the Sox could potentially move him. He can't do that out of the bullpen. Johnson could have easily been worse. Danks had more value than you are giving him credit for. He was 59th last year amongst all starters in fWAR. Fangraphs placed his value on the open market at $14.2 million, basically right even with what he was paid.