98 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Justin Upton
    • Yoenis Cespedes

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)
Gut feeling at some point between now and next Thursday, Upton signs with the Sox for five years, with an opt-out after two or three.

BTW, these opt-outs are kinda bugging some people...and I get it.

I'd rather not have the opt-out be that soon if we're giving up a draft pick. Rather have it after 4.

Gut feeling at some point between now and next Thursday, Upton signs with the Sox for five years, with an opt-out after two or three.

BTW, these opt-outs are kinda bugging some people...and I get it.

I think if they could have done this already, they would have. I still think they need to move some money first.

I agree. But, I think it'll be 7 years with an opt out after 3-4.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 12:30 PM)
I think if they could have done this already, they would have. I still think they need to move some money first.

Disagree, the OF market is just so slow right now. Literally barely hearing anything on players. They can backload a deal, much like what the Giants did with Samardzija.

Side not, Cardinals are working Holliday out at 1B now. I bet they get back in the Gordon sweepstakes.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 12:34 PM)

Disagree, the OF market is just so slow right now. Literally barely hearing anything on players. They can backload a deal, much like what the Giants did with Samardzija.

Side not, Cardinals are working Holliday out at 1B now. I bet they get back in the Gordon sweepstakes.

Robin Ventura used to babysit Matt Holliday.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 12:34 PM)

If they sign Upton to a long term deal with an opt out after 3-4 years, expect the deal to be front loaded like the Heyward deal. Also back loading the deal in an opt out can hurt the team as well if the player declines and decides not to opt out and then you're stuck paying him mega bucks through his declining years which will also affect future moves as well.

This is why I think they still need to move a contract or two.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 09:58 AM)
Give them another call, phone stalk them, throw in another 2 million. Do whatever it takes to open up the DH spot for Melky and bring in 2 outfielders. Cmon Hahn!

Eating $10M of LaRoches contract is pointless. May as well keep him as injury insurance, PH and and late inning defensive replacement at that juncture. I actually think he may have a decent year, but I still think they need to go into the season with Melky as the primary DH / occasional OFer.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 01:07 PM)
Eating $10M of LaRoches contract is pointless. May as well keep him as injury insurance, PH and and late inning defensive replacement at that juncture. I actually think he may have a decent year, but I still think they need to go into the season with Melky as the primary DH / occasional OFer.

It's a tough pill to swallow no doubt, but I wouldn't say it's pointless. It would at least facilitate an opening at DH that Melky could fill; lineup becomes better, as does the defense. If Laroche is on the team come April, he's starting at DH no matter how you slice it right? Yuck to that.

A quick fix is to bring in 2 outfielders, one major and one mid-tier, and the roster problem is solved imo. Still need a starting pitcher though, not sure if JR would extend that far after last year's face plant, or if Hahn & Co. can get that creative deal-wise...

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
Melky in LF can be stomached but Avi in RF absolutely cannot be. He has to go. It's 1 more year of Melk chugging around like a fool in LF, then he is DH for a season.

I'd prefer neither of them in the OF but a couple games a week. Upton/Gordon/Cespedes plus Parra. Pipe dream, I know, but it makes the White Sox much better.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)
It's a tough pill to swallow no doubt, but I wouldn't say it's pointless. It would at least facilitate an opening at DH that Melky could fill; lineup becomes better, as does the defense. If Laroche is on the team come April, he's starting at DH no matter how you slice it right? Yuck to that.

A quick fix is to bring in 2 outfielders, one major and one mid-tier, and the roster problem is solved imo. Still need a starting pitcher though, not sure if JR would extend that far after last year's face plant, or if Hahn & Co. can get that creative deal-wise...

1st Bold:

I don't agree with. He'll be on the roster, but I hope its not as a everyday DH. Unlikely, but its possible.

2nd Bold:

I totally agree, and have been piping it for awhile now. One of the big three, plus Parra to platoon with Avi in RF. Also unlikely, but it makes the most sense, but would also require a significant increase in payroll from last year.

vs. RHP

Eaton - CF

Melky - DH

Abreu - 1B

Frazier - 3B

Upton/Cespedes/Gordon - LF

Parra - RF

Lawrie - 2B

Avila - C

Saladino - SS

BN: Sanchez, Avi, LaRoche, Navarro

vs. LHP

Eaton - CF

Melky - DH

Abreu - 1B

Frazier - 3B

Upton/Cespedes/Gordon - LF

Avi - RF

Lawrie - 2B

Navarro - C

Saladino - SS

BN: Sanchez, Avi, LaRoche, Avila

Another cheaper, more realistic option is to just replace Shuck with Parra (but obviously move him down the lineup a bit), but not sure I want Shuck getting 350 ABs.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 01:17 PM)
1st Bold:

I don't agree with. He'll be on the roster, but I hope its not as a everyday DH. Unlikely, but its possible.

2nd Bold:

I totally agree, and have been piping it for awhile now. One of the big three, plus Parra to platoon with Avi in RF. Also unlikely, but it makes the most sense, but would also require a significant increase in payroll from last year.

Who would be the main DH if Laroche is on the team and it's NOT him? Also, if you can get Gordon on slightly cheaper dollars than expected maybe JR can be convinced to get that 2nd outfielder. I'm still split on whether a 2nd outfielder or a righty starting pitcher would be the way to go if they bump the budget up.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 01:17 PM)

If they're truly going for it, they've got to realistically expect to have a higher payroll than last year. It doesn't make sense to think you'll improve 15-20 games without paying the price--literally. Hahn is good but he can't pull a rabbit out of his a** every year.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 01:20 PM)
Who would be the main DH if Laroche is on the team and it's NOT him? Also, if you can get Gordon on slightly cheaper dollars than expected maybe JR can be convinced to get that 2nd outfielder. I'm still split on whether a 2nd outfielder or a righty starting pitcher would be the way to go if they bump the budget up.

Melky. LaRoche can DH on days when a bad RHP is on the hill, sending Melky to the bench or spelling of the OF.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
Shuck could match Avi's offensive #'s I bet. And I do mean offensive... :lol:

Perhaps. I'd be fine giving Avi another chance, just in a limited role unless he earns more or in case of an injury. Think about...under current roster construction, after Avi and Shuck...next man up is Scott Hairston or Jason Coats. Avi needs to be retained, but I'd be fine with him starting in AAA.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 01:28 PM)
Perhaps. I'd be fine giving Avi another chance, just in a limited role unless he earns more or in case of an injury. Think about...under current roster construction, after Avi and Shuck...next man up is Jerry Hairston or Jason Coats. Avi needs to be retained, but I'd be fine with him starting in AAA.

Scott

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 11:28 AM)
Perhaps. I'd be fine giving Avi another chance, just in a limited role unless he earns more or in case of an injury. Think about...under current roster construction, after Avi and Shuck...next man up is Jerry Hairston or Jason Coats. Avi needs to be retained, but I'd be fine with him starting in AAA.

I agree here, but Shuck was a pretty great 4th OF for us last year and the tools that made Garcia a top prospect are better off being honed at AAA playing every day rather than once or twice a week in the majors.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 01:28 PM)

Got it. I don't necessarily want to cut bait on Avi, but I don't want him starting in RF for 130 games either. Me and the rest of the White Sox universe on that last point I guess...

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)
OK, I'm assuming you mean this scenario is if we actually land one of the big 3, who can then play LF for Melky. Then we still have Avi in right...?

Correct.

LF - Upton/Cespedes/Gordon

CF-Eaton

RF-Parra or Shuck / Avi platoon

DH- Melky

Bench warmer extraordinaire: LaRoche

That is a VASTLY improved defense (especially if Gordon is the one signed), even with Avi still in RF a couple days a week.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)
Got it. I don't necessarily want to cut bait on Avi, but I don't want him starting in RF for 130 games either. Me and the rest of the White Sox universe on that last point I guess...

Nor do I my friend.