Biggest Needs For Rest of Offseason?

Dunt

The team has improved a lot already this offseason, but there is still more work to be done. I think the Sox will acquire a stud corner OF in the next few weeks (and that should be the #1 priority at this point), but I am a little concerned about the backup situation. Shuck had a nice season last year and came up with some big hits, but I think I'm more interested in having a plus defender as my 4th OFer. Not sure he will be ready to make the jump any time soon, but Jacob May could be an interesting name to follow there. Otherwise, I would still like to see a bullpen move. I'm confident in Robertson having a better season this year, but am not sure the setup tandem of Jones and Duke are going to get it done. Both looked incredibly hittable last season. Any good values left in the RP market?

Corner OF bat.

Better insurance for Saladino than Sanchez...Desmond or Ramirez.

Veteran second or third tier starter to replace Johnson if he falters early.

One more RH reliever for the Albers role...Jones, Petricka and Putnam just feels a bit short, but that one's not the end of the world...or the second lefty.

Right now the bench is catcher two, Shuck, Carlos Sanchez and a bit of a mystery...Avi, but he's more likely traded or in AAA unless he's a platoon DH partner with LaRoche.

The biggest need is an big OF bat. After that, I think adding another starting pitcher wouldn't hurt. There are probably a few guys out there that can be had relatively cheaply. I suppose trying to upgrade at SS is a possibility, but aside from spending money that they could spend elsewhere, I'd be okay with Saladino or Alexei.

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 08:29 AM)
OF, OF, OF. A corner bat and, with TNT gone, a viable 4th OF are needed.

Possibly SS depth, but not as important. I wonder what Rollins is looking for $$ wise

SP depth is needed as well.

J.B Shuck says hi. I think he did extremely well last season.

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 08:29 AM)
OF, OF, OF. A corner bat and, with TNT gone, a viable 4th OF are needed.

Possibly SS depth, but not as important. I wonder what Rollins is looking for $$ wise

SP depth is needed as well.

Outfield of Melky/Eaton/FA with Shuck as a 4th seems good to me.

For SS, I think Saladino is fine as starter with Sanchez as backup infielder.

As for starting pitching, I wouldn't mind us getting a legit guy to place behind our big three, since we don't know how Johnson will do and we know Danks isn't very good.

I'm really starting to think the Sox end up signing Parra. Plays RF, a bit of speed, no comp pick and will not cost as much as the big three FA outfielders. He profiles along the lines of what the Sox are suspect to be looking for. Well, minus the power.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 08:48 AM)
Eh, Shuck is cheap but isn't good. There's not much behind him, so more depth is better. Not talking about breaking the bank, but like, Victorino or even De Aza would be nice to have.

I don't understand how you can say that Shuck didn't have a good season last year. He's the perfect OFer who is cheap. I'd rather have him over De Aza or Victorino.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 08:52 AM)
I'm really starting to think the Sox end up signing Parra. Plays RF, a bit of speed, no comp pick and will not cost as much as the big three FA outfielders. He profiles along the lines of what the Sox are suspect to be looking for. Well, minus the power.

With his (past) defensive stud reputation, the Royals end up with him, Span or Austin Jackson.

Or we test the NL to AL theory for another veteran player again. Parra and Avi just isn't good enough to move the needle. Three years ago, there was a much better case to be made for him.

CarGo's more likely the fallback...or Ethier/Crawford because KW loves his brand name veterans.

RF is obvious...,but I think people are forgetting about platoon partner for LaRoche. 1 that can preferably play corner OF defense well so Melky can gett off the field as often as possible. Provided LaRoche is still on the team of course

SP? Not at all. Let EJ pitch, he's fine. And unfortunately Danks isn't going anywhere. We should have 1 of, it not the best, top 3 SP's in baseball.

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 08:58 AM)
Or we test the NL to AL theory for another veteran player again. Parra and Avi just isn't good enough to move the needle. Three years ago, there was a much better case to be made for him.

CarGo's more likely the fallback...or Ethier/Crawford because KW loves his brand name veterans.

As I said, if the payroll limit stays at 120M then the money isn't there unless the Sox move salary which is one of the reasons why I'm speculating on Parra.

Last I read, the Rockies are aiming rather high in a return for their outfielders so I'm not really counting on that either. How much do the Sox have left to trade without dipping into the likes of Anderson, Fulmer and Adams?

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 09:44 AM)
RF is obvious...,but I think people are forgetting about platoon partner for LaRoche. 1 that can preferably play corner OF defense well so Melky can gett off the field as often as possible. Provided LaRoche is still on the team of course

SP? Not at all. Let EJ pitch, he's fine. And unfortunately Danks isn't going anywhere. We should have 1 of, it not the best, top 3 SP's in baseball.

Avi is fine for a platoon with Laroche and 5th outfielder/late pinch hitter. He can still hit lefties.

We've lost 3 relievers who could have been in the pen this year, although none of them on opening day. Would like to see the pen shored up and bring in an emergency starter.

But yeah any money spent should all go towards getting an OF.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 09:45 AM)
As I said, if the payroll limit stays at 120M then the money isn't there unless the Sox move salary which is one of the reasons why I'm speculating on Parra.

Last I read, the Rockies are aiming rather high in a return for their outfielders so I'm not really counting on that either. How much do the Sox have left to trade without dipping into the likes of Anderson, Fulmer and Adams?

Nothing of significance.

It would be idiotic to authorize the Frazier trade and then force Hahn to make any remaining moves from the trade market unless they're at the very least willing to take on a not insignificant amount of salary for CarGo, Ethier, Crawford, Hanley Ramirez, etc.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 09:53 AM)
Nothing of significance.

It would be idiotic to authorize the Frazier trade and then force Hahn to make any remaining moves from the trade market unless they're at the very least willing to take on a not insignificant amount of salary for CarGo, Ethier, Crawford, Hanley Ramirez, etc.

Once the big three outfielders have signed, the contracts of CarGo and Ethier will be at or even below market value and net their teams a nice return in a trade. I agree about Crawford and Ramirez though.

I hope the Sox don't trade any of their top talent for the likes of CarGo/Ethier. If that's the case then go for broke and see what Atlanta would expect in a return for Inciarte who they are listening to offers on.

Otherwise, I think Parra is the logical choice at this point. Not my first choice by any means.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 11:10 AM)
Once the big three outfielders have signed, the contracts of CarGo and Ethier will be at or even below market value and net their teams a nice return in a trade. I agree about Crawford and Ramirez though.

I hope the Sox don't trade any of their top talent for the likes of CarGo/Ethier. If that's the case then go for broke and see what Atlanta would expect in a return for Inciarte who they are listening to offers on.

Otherwise, I think Parra is the logical choice at this point. Not my first choice by any means.

Only problem with Parra is that he also needs a platoon partner. He has a career OPS of under .600 against lefties. Just can't play him or LaRoche vs lefties so it could turn into a problem.

Let's hope the solution isn't Nick Markakis, either.

This is not where you split the difference and go for second tier guys making $12-16 million like Melky, Fowler, Span, etc.

You either go huge or you come up with that creative value platoon of a Raburn/Parra. Definitely not sexy, but possibly quite effective.

Avi could platoon with LaRoche...although that gives you five outfielders, Sanchez and a catcher as the bench. I'm pretty sure Raburn can still play a few of the infield positions...not SS obviously.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 11:27 AM)
Let's hope the solution isn't Nick Markakis, either.

This is not where you split the difference and go for second tier guys making $12-16 million like Melky, Fowler, Span, etc.

You either go huge or you come up with that creative value platoon of a Raburn/Parra. Definitely not sexy, but possibly quite effective.

Avi could platoon with LaRoche...although that gives you five outfielders, Sanchez and a catcher as the bench. I'm pretty sure Raburn can still play a few of the infield positions...not SS obviously.

Markakis wouldn't be that bad if ATL picked up half the tab, which won't happen.