Hahn on the Score at 9:30AM

Kyyle23

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 11:13 AM)
Just seems like everyone on the station feels only way to be successful is via complete tanking/rebuilding.

Because...Cubs.

I pointed out yesterday, the only 2 players Theo drafted for the Cubs who have actually played for the Cubs are Bryant and Schwarber. They were lucky to get Bryant. All the other players could have been acquired while trying to remain competitive. If Houston drafted Bryant, the whole Cubs tank would have been for Kyle Schwarber, and maybe at a later date, Almora.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 11:13 AM)
Just seems like everyone on the station feels only way to be successful is via complete tanking/rebuilding.

It really is. That station is at the point of being unlistenable for every program now.

This is almost across all Chicago media now where the story is, the White Sox are not the cubs. Every move the cubs make is gold and every move the Sox make is going to fail.

I loved when the WGN morning show felt the need to point out Frazier is going to be 30 and hit poorly in the second half of 2015.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
Because...Cubs.

I pointed out yesterday, the only 2 players Theo drafted for the Cubs who have actually played for the Cubs are Bryant and Schwarber. They were lucky to get Bryant. All the other players could have been acquired while trying to remain competitive. If Houston drafted Bryant, the whole Cubs tank would have been for Kyle Schwarber, and maybe at a later date, Almora.

The Rizzo, Russell and Arrieta gifts via trade as well as the Maddon gift via Tampa....how the Dodgers did not grab Maddon is an absolute mystery.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
It really is. That station is at the point of being unlistenable for every program now.

This is almost across all Chicago media now where the story is, the White Sox are not the cubs. Every move the cubs make is gold and every move the Sox make is going to fail.

I loved when the WGN morning show felt the need to point out Frazier is going to be 30 and hit poorly in the second half of 2015.

That's the same age as Arrieta, is anyone trying to say he is old? I don't get it, if 30 is so old then the Cubs should have stayed far away from Zobrist and Lackey.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 11:28 AM)
When the Cubs signed Zobrist, did anyone mention his defense dropped by 25.9 dWAR. Of course not

He's definitely better in RF than 2b...he won't kill you like a Murphy or Avi/Viciedo, but he has been slipping.

That said, he was quietly an offensive force last year in the second half.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 11:28 AM)
When the Cubs signed Zobrist, did anyone mention his defense dropped by 25.9 dWAR. Of course not

I did on Twitter that night. Big mistake.

Apparently the prospect that he can play 7 positions outweighs the fact that he wasnt good at it.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 10:23 AM)
They're close, though. They already project to be around the middle of the pack in the AL. Need more from the OF corners.

They've improved but I don't think they're that close just yet. Need to see how the rest of the offseason plays out. Remember other AL teams will get better as well.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 11:40 AM)
I am still waiting to see Arrieta's arbitration numbers.

Boras v cubs could be interesting as I am pretty certain Boras does not care about the feel good story that is the Chicago cubs.

I could see Boras asking for $25M for Arrieta in arbitration

He would lose. I think the projection is about $10-11 million.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 11:34 AM)
He had a worse year defensively last year than Murphy ever has.

Wasn't it partly due to coming off knee surgery? Though Zobrist is one of those guys that is hard to peg defensively because of all the crazy shifts the Rays did with him.

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 10:23 AM)
They're close, though. They already project to be around the middle of the pack in the AL. Need more from the OF corners.

If they got one more hitter in the middle of that lineup, I think they could be close. Right now, I see Abreu in the #3 hole, Lawrie in the #6 and Frazier probably in the #5 spot. They could slide Melky Cabrera or Adam La Roche into the middle of the lineup at times, but one run producer is needed.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 12:16 PM)
If they got one more hitter in the middle of that lineup, I think they could be close. Right now, I see Abreu in the #3 hole, Lawrie in the #6 and Frazier probably in the #5 spot. They could slide Melky Cabrera or Adam La Roche into the middle of the lineup at times, but one run producer is needed.

I think that has been established.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 11:04 AM)
Why are you so adamant about having a high obp guy behind Abreu? Obviously you want high obp guys everywhere but it's much more important to have one in front of him as opposed to behind him.

It isn't so much a matter of having that high OBP behind Abreu, as it is having another high OBP in the heart of the order.

At this point, Abreu is the only high OBP hitter, in the 3 through 5 spots. Frazier cannot be expected to fulfill that need.

Even with all of his power, he has not been a high on base guy. La Roche we all know can't be counted on, and shouldn't even sniff the middle of the order. Laurie's OBP has not been good, so far. I actually prefer Melky batting more in the middle of the order, versus RHP, but his OBP is not that great either.

I think this team needs a big bat, with an OBP of at least .340 to .350 to hit with Abreu and Frazier, in the heart of the order.

That would make the offense very formidable and this team would be serious contenders. It probably wouldn't matter how much offense they would get from the bottom 3RD of the order, if they can score runs from the first 6 guys in the lineup.

Eaton gets on base a lot, but after him, the only high OBP hitter on this roster is Jose. I'm afraid that will leave us all pretty frustrated.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 01:44 PM)
With the White Sox off of the Score, I have no idea why anyone listens to that garbage anymore.

I still think Boers and Bernstein is the best radio show in the city. It's weird that it's so Anti-Sox because they have the most Sox fans at their station I believe. Bernstein, Goff, Mully, Laurence, Tannehill are all Sox fans. I think DeFalco is the only Sox fan on 1000.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 01:51 PM)
It isn't so much a matter of having that high OBP behind Abreu, as it is having another high OBP in the heart of the order.

At this point, Abreu is the only high OBP hitter, in the 3 through 5 spots. Frazier cannot be expected to fulfill that need.

Even with all of his power, he has not been a high on base guy. La Roche we all know can't be counted on, and shouldn't even sniff the middle of the order. Laurie's OBP has not been good, so far. I actually prefer Melky batting more in the middle of the order, versus RHP, but his OBP is not that great either.

I think this team needs a big bat, with an OBP of at least .340 to .350 to hit with Abreu and Frazier, in the heart of the order.

That would make the offense very formidable and this team would be serious contenders. It probably wouldn't matter how much offense they would get from the bottom 3RD of the order, if they can score runs from the first 6 guys in the lineup.

Eaton gets on base a lot, but after him, the only high OBP hitter on this roster is Jose. I'm afraid that will leave us all pretty frustrated.

Upton. Boom.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 02:24 PM)
I still think Boers and Bernstein is the best radio show in the city. It's weird that it's so Anti-Sox because they have the most Sox fans at their station I believe. Bernstein, Goff, Mully, Laurence, Tannehill are all Sox fans. I think DeFalco is the only Sox fan on 1000.

pretty sure both Boers & Bernstein are "technically" Sox fans, or at least the Sox are there team

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 02:24 PM)

They are 50,000 watt trolls.