SoxNet: After Lawrie and Frazier, what's next?

Quin

Taking a look at all of the issues now facing the Sox - the outfield, pitching depth and who the hell will play shortstop.

Despite the moves for Frazier and Lawrie, Rick Hahn isn't satisfied — with good reason. The Sox lineup still has weaknesses despite improving at three positions. The obvious candidate to be replaced is Avisail Garcia. Garcia was the third worst player in baseball last year going by fWAR despite being third on the team with 13 homers, a couple home run robbing highlights and a pair of walk-off walks. Garcia's low OPS and bad defense made him a black hole for the White Sox and with an option left, he seems destined for Charlotte as the Sox have been tied to Yoenis Cespedes and Justin Upton.

Both outfielders are career .271 hitters, though Upton's career OBP of .352 is much higher than Cespedes' .319 as Upton walks a good deal more. Both provide a powerful right handed bat and a significant upgrade in right field, though Cespedes has more range and his famously powerful arm.

Upton has a draft pick attached to him, Cespedes doesn't. Upton is two years younger, Cespedes has AL experience.

Read more: http://www.chicagonow.com/soxnet/2015/12/a...rie-whats-next/

I like Cespedes more. He seems like much more of a gamer to me. When he joined the Mets in a pennant chase, he took off.

I doubt Avi is going to Charlotte. He could platoon with LaRoche now that Thompson is gone.

Ramirez for another year makes sense, but he may be looking for 2.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 10:12 AM)

Can we please drop the "bring back Alexei" stuff? Unless Saladino is shipped off in a trade, the Sox are fine with him at SS next year. Alexei doesn't make or break the Sox chances at the playoffs next year. Signing him would be a fart in the wind. The Sox potential as a contender hinges on which Cabrera/LaRoche we see next year, whether Garcia finally puts it together, or replacing Cabrera/LaRoche/Garcia with one or more impact bats.

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 03:42 PM)
Can we please drop the "bring back Alexei" stuff? Unless Saladino is shipped off in a trade, the Sox are fine with him at SS next year. Alexei doesn't make or break the Sox chances at the playoffs next year. Signing him would be a fart in the wind. The Sox potential as a contender hinges on which Cabrera/LaRoche we see next year, whether Garcia finally puts it together, or replacing Cabrera/LaRoche/Garcia with one or more impact bats.

Alexei Ramirez still makes sense as our SS. Saladino fits better as the super sub. Ramirez for two years and in that second year you may find a platoon or late season change with Tim Anderson. A platoon isn't a bad idea for 2017 and let Anderson learn from Ramirez.

We need to add an impact bat to the lineup somewhere. Simultaneously, we need to NOT degrade the defense. Resources are limited.

I think it's easier/more cost-effective to achieve our goal by upgrading RF and living with the light-hitting, glove focused Saladino than it is to find a difference-maker at SS.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 02:32 PM)
We need to add an impact bat to the lineup somewhere. Simultaneously, we need to NOT degrade the defense. Resources are limited.

I think it's easier/more cost-effective to achieve our goal by upgrading RF and living with the light-hitting, glove focused Saladino than it is to find a difference-maker at SS.

That is what I think. The upgrade offensively and defensively in RF could be huge. Maybe Alexei hits better than Saladino at SS, but fielding seems like a a wash. The overall upgrade isn't that huge, and it could go the other way. Spend the money on the rightfielder. Let Avi go down to Charlotte or somewhere else. Sign some relievers in January. Maybe sign a starter or 2 off the scrap heap. The team should be pretty good.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 03:37 PM)
Sign Gerardo Parra to platoon with Avi Garcia:

Parra vs RHP: .303/.336/.473

Garcia vs LHP: .293/.353/.407

Parra is a decent defender and could spell Garcia late in close ballgames.

I love the idea of signing Parra, along with Gordon/Cespedes/Upton. Realize that is extremely unlikely, but I think it makes the Sox a real contender.