Alexei, Saladino, or another plan for SS

DashFan

I thought it would be helpful to take the Alexei/SS discussion into a new thread.

It seems like most Sox fans want to see Ramirez return as part of the latest "all in" effort now that Frasier and Lawrie are in the fold. Am I the only one who actually would rather see what Tyler can do there as a starter than another season of Alexei? I get the fact that Ramirez gives you a reliable glove at SS, but he's as cold as ice at the start of almost every season and consistently makes mental errors in key situations. I've seen several write-ups about how he was one of the worst base-runners on the White Sox despite having pretty good speed. He's also not great when you need some type of situational at-bat. He only seems to have one (swing away) mode at the plate.

Saladino seems to be more than serviceable at SS, has the same speed, and could potentially be a decent bat for a SS. Maybe I'm missing something. But can someone tell me why Alexei is a significant upgrade at SS for 2016?

Should the Sox be looking beyond these two candidates to fill the starting job in 2016?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 03:09 PM)
I'd rather keep Saladino and use the money that would've been spent on Alexei on an outfielder.

Right. I forgot to even mention the $ saved that could be better used elsewhere. The Sox still have some decent middle-infield depth. I agree - we have to use that to our advantage and spend more upgrading the OF.

QUOTE (DashFan @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
Right. I forgot to even mention the $ saved that could be better used elsewhere. The Sox still have some decent middle-infield depth. I agree - we have to use that to our advantage and spend more upgrading the OF.

Agreed. I think Saladino can put up numbers similar to Alexei's career averages if he's given a full season to work with. Not to mention that he'd make the minimum salary and is much younger too.

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
I think if the Sox had any interest in bringing Alexei back, they would have already worked something out.

He's gone.

Unless they're waiting to find out if one of Upton or Cespedes signs. If they do there probably isn't money in the budget to sign Alexei.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 01:20 PM)
Jerry got alot of money I bet.

Yes he does have a lot of money. That doesn't mean that Hahn and KW have free reign to spend what they want. Signing Upton or Cespedes already puts them over their projected budget. They definitely aren't going to break the bank to sign Alexei.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 01:35 PM)
Yes he does have a lot of money. That doesn't mean that Hahn and KW have free reign to spend what they want. Signing Upton or Cespedes already puts them over their projected budget. They definitely aren't going to break the bank to sign Alexei.

Alexei at $5 million not bad.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 01:14 PM)
Agreed. I think Saladino can put up numbers similar to Alexei's career averages if he's given a full season to work with. Not to mention that he'd make the minimum salary and is much younger too.

Salad is not going to hit along the career lines of Alexei. You head into the season with Salad at SS because you've upgraded the rest of the infield and can (possibly) take a flyer on the guy with a good glove.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)
If Alexei wants to sign a cheap friendly 1 year deal with an option for 2017 I am all for it but if it is going to be a lot more then he is worth I would rather just stick with Saladino/Sanchez and if we are in it at the trade deadline and both are horrible we can trade for one

Agreed. And he may. But $3M with a $3.5M club option with no buyout would be about as far as I'd go. Anything more and I'd rather have Saladino.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)
Salad is not going to hit along the career lines of Alexei. You head into the season with Salad at SS because you've upgraded the rest of the infield and can (possibly) take a flyer on the guy with a good glove.

I agree with this.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 03:00 PM)
Agreed. And he may. But $3M with a $3.5M club option with no buyout would be about as far as I'd go. Anything more and I'd rather have Saladino.

That said, I thing there is something to be said for just turning the page from Alexei.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 03:00 PM)

Realistically, if you are going to bring him back, the difference between 3 million and 5 million today is nothing. If you want him back as an organization, get him. If not, move on.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 03:05 PM)
Realistically, if you are going to bring him back, the difference between 3 million and 5 million today is nothing. If you want him back as an organization, get him. If not, move on.

$2M more you can spent on getting a bounceback SP to back up EJ/Danks. Generally, I agree. But $2M is still $2M more they can spend elsewhere, but in the scheme of things, it's chump change.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 03:09 PM)
$2M more you can spent on getting a bounceback SP to back up EJ/Danks. Generally, I agree. But $2M is still $2M more they can spend elsewhere, but in the scheme of things, it's chump change.

They already brought that guy in with Jake Turner getting $1.5 million. If they see another guy that fits that bill, I have no doubt they would spend it as well.

You can't really sign a pitcher to "back up" EJ/Danks. Any starter that is going to sign is going to expect to start, at which point you're committing to either releasing Danks or sending EJ to AAA.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 03:10 PM)
They already brought that guy in with Jake Turner getting $1.5 million. If they see another guy that fits that bill, I have no doubt they would spend it as well.

I'd personally prefer someone with a little more of a track record that may be willing to sign on the cheap with some incentives. Someone in the Arroyo, Beachy, Billingsly, Latos, Marcum, Simon, Fister mold. Admittedly, those guys won't all be signing super cheap deals, but most of them will.