Alexei, Saladino, or another plan for SS

DashFan

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 03:13 PM)
You can't really sign a pitcher to "back up" EJ/Danks. Any starter that is going to sign is going to expect to start, at which point you're committing to either releasing Danks or sending EJ to AAA.

You could always park Danks or said flyer in the bullpen, or release said flyer. Its not like its a new idea. Perhaps someone coming off an injury that may be out a month or two would make more sense. The Sox don't have a ton of depth that is ML ready at the moment, besides for maybe Beck.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 03:14 PM)
I'd personally prefer someone with a little more of a track record that may be willing to sign on the cheap with some incentives. Someone in the Arroyo, Beachy, Billingsly, Latos, Marcum, Simon, Fister mold. Admittedly, those guys won't all be signing super cheap deals, but most of them will.

Then we are talking about $2 million anymore. We are talking about more at risk.

I wonder if the Sox do end up signing Cespedes whether it might make a difference in their deciding to bring Alexei back. I happen to think there's a uniqueness with the Cuban player experience (which is likely to change in the years ahead because of the improving relations that, we hope, will not force ballpayers to defect in order to play). But for now, I think there has to be an environmental advantage to having a Cuban contingent (Abreu, Cespedes, Alexei) with whom they can talk about their common experiences. Even without Alexei, I hope the Sox do sign Cespedes, believing that he and Abreu would benefit from having each other around. Not sure if this kind of thing enters the front office thinking, but I hope it does.

Resources are pretty limited, Hahn already said they'd have to get creative to sign an Upton or Cespedes. Assuming that happens, I'd rather just roll with Saladino at SS. At that point our lineup will look pretty good, and Saladino will be fine there. As for another SP, meh, roll with EJ/Danks and if there's an injury or EJ sucks then pick someone up at the deadline.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 01:09 PM)
I'd rather keep Saladino and use the money that would've been spent on Alexei on an outfielder.

I feel the same way. Imo, were talking about players heading two directions. Alexei will continue to regress while Saladino should, to some extent, get better. Nothing against Alexei, its just time to move on.

If you look at a guy like Brandon Crawford, it gives you some hope that with his solid defensive skills, Saladino could be a more than serviceable offensive player eventually. If he is surrounded by proper support, there's no reason to see if this can play out. Crawford's 2012-2014 were avg offensively. He figured some things out last year and blew up. It's a good comp in my mind.

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 04:26 PM)
I don't get the love for Alexi. He has been bad at the plate the last couple years. And hiis fielding has started to slip. Saladino was solid in the field last year. And showed as capable with the bat. Sanchez is the definition of a utility infielder.

Move on. Don't be afraid of change.

Sox refuse to play Sanchez on the left side of the infield so it's going to be hard for him to be a UIF.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 05:31 PM)
Sox refuse to play Sanchez on the left side of the infield so it's going to be hard for him to be a UIF.

Well he does have experience at SS and 3b. Although most of it in the minors. He's never had the bat to justify playing there full time. But as a utility guy he is fine. And his glove definitely plays there.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 04:31 PM)

With the hole left by Micah at second, Alexei entrenchment at SS and the numerous players the Sox tried at third its really no wonder. However, the Sox did in fact play Sanchez at SS for one game last year, he started 43 games at SS in 2014 and 51 games in '13 for Charlotte so he is familiar with the position. Sanchez has plenty of range for SS, its his arm strength that is concerning but as a utility he should be fine.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 05:42 PM)
With the hole left by my at second, Alexei entrenchment at SS and the numerous players the Sox tried at third its really no wonder. However, the Sox did in fact play Sanchez at SS for one game last year, he started 43 games at SS in 2014 and 51 games in '13 for Charlotte so he is familiar with the position. Sanchez has plenty of range for SS, its his arm strength that is concerning but as a utility he should be fine.

He even got action at 3b in the minors.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 04:42 PM)
With the hole left by my at second, Alexei entrenchment at SS and the numerous players the Sox tried at third its really no wonder. However, the Sox did in fact play Sanchez at SS for one game last year, he started 43 games at SS in 2014 and 51 games in '13 for Charlotte so he is familiar with the position. Sanchez has plenty of range for SS, its his arm strength that is concerning but as a utility he should be fine.

He played that one game at short in 2014, not 2015. He had terrific range so I get it's his arm. Even Gordon Beckham and Leury Garcia registered multiple games at SS last year but not Sanchez. That's pretty telling to me of what the White Sox think of him on the left side, especially since most of the games were meaningless so it sure as s*** wouldn't have hurt to try him there. They couldn't even do that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm for him being a SS in some manner. I was screaming for the Sox to play him there last year. I just dont expect the Sox to do it.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

They also didn't play Saladino much at SS the last two months when it would have been the perefect time to audition him.

Seemingly out of respect for Alexei, but Tyler should have played more often there since the games were meaningless at that point...they must have known internally that they were going to move on from Alexei.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 10:42 PM)

excellent analysis

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 04:54 PM)
He played that one game at short in 2014, not 2015. He had terrific range so I get it's his arm. Even Gordon Beckham and Leury Garcia registered multiple games at SS last year but not Sanchez. That's pretty telling to me of what the White Sox think of him on the left side, especially since most of the games were meaningless so it sure as s*** wouldn't have hurt to try him there. They couldn't even do that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm for him being a SS in some manner. I was screaming for the Sox to play him there last year. I just dont expect the Sox to do it.

Ok, I follow ya. Hahn did say today that Saladino is the SS going forward with Sanchez competing with him so it sounds as though the Sox have some degree of confidence in Sanchez at SS. To me it sounds like as of now, SS is Saladino's position to lose.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 05:01 PM)
They also didn't play Saladino much at SS the last two months when it would have been the perefect time to audition him.

Seemingly out of respect for Alexei, but Tyler should have played more often there since the games were meaningless at that point...they must have known internally that they were going to move on from Alexei.

I always wondered why they stopped starting Saladino. It seemed like they started him for like 2-3 weeks straight, then Mike Olt showed up and Tyler hit the bench. I think that was a missed opportunity to get him more playing time/ab's, regardless of what position it was at. How can they have thought Olt was a realistic option? Huge hole in that guy's swing and it isn't going away anytime soon.

Yeah, two of the big missed opportunities from last season were not getting Erik Johnson and Saladino (at SS) more experience...you can argue all you want about the final results of the Samardzija trade and the QO, but you also lost the chance to see how he would have fared starting over the two finals month, which would have given the Sox a little bit more to go on in terms of determining their starting rotation for 2016.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 08:29 AM)
Alexei is a proven big leaguer. Give him a chance to be the anchor of this new infield. Saladino, sorry, he's not the answer. I'd accept him as a super sub however.

given the options, there are several factors i would take into consideration when choosing who will play ss.

yeah i am all for trading for the likes of dee gordon, or resigning alexei. however i really think the sox will stick with saladino.

the next question should be why, and the answer is salary or the projected salary and where it is. the sox will not go over or go really over a propose salary that the owner have already mention. unless hahn can convince them i don't see it happening.

so by this it is saladino. what does he bring. defense, and if that is it, damn i have happy with that. again i would prefer to have that media appeal player, and saladino is not it, be there to help in the media war for fans attentions in chi. i am looking at the ability of the sox to help draw the fans ....

Saladino is a guy who I think can be real solid at SS. I think if given the opportunity, he can be an above-average defender & smart base-runner while being slightly below average bat. He has a strong track record of getting on-base at a nice clip in the minors and he actually has a tad bit of power, so I really don't think he'll kill you there. Would much rather give him a chance than go with Alexei for another year.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 07:20 AM)
Alexei does not improve this team. There really is an absolute disdain for imperfect young players in this organization. Love the mediocre vets however.

Then how do you explain all the opportunities Beckham and Viciedo got to turn it around? Also Hahn already said Saladino was going to be the SS, you're making s*** up again.