Nate Jones re-signs with White Sox

Princess Dye

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 11:14 AM)
How much would he have earned in Arb? Looks like more sentimentality

If he is even remotely decent he would have earned far more than the $2.8 million this contract is paying him over the next two years. If he returns to what he was before the injuries, which last year showed was possible, this deal is an absolute steal for the Sox.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/677899112205959168

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 5m5 minutes ago

Interesting language in Nate Jones' three-year, $8M deal with the White Sox regarding prospective Tommy John surgery -- a big Lackey clause.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 4m4 minutes ago

If Nate Jones has a second TJ before end of 2018, White Sox get a club option at league minimum in 2019. If not, club options much higher.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 3m3 minutes ago

If Jones needs another TJ, White Sox get three options at total of $8.5M. If he doesn't, two club options at $9.8M and mutual option at $6M.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 11:07 AM)
Jones will earn $900,000 in 2016, $1.9 million in 2017 and $3.95 million in 2018.

The White Sox hold club options for 2019 ($4.65 million) and 2020 ($5.15 million) with a mutual for 2021 ($6 million).

If either club option is declined, Jones would receive a $1.25-million buyout.

Don't love the buyout, but other than that, this is a great contract. Like I said before, if Jones has a big year in 2016, he could have very well could have made $4-$5M or more in 2017 through the arbitration process. Plus we buy out a FA year.

This is a good deal.

The cost of relief pitching is rising so if Jones stays healthy, this contract is peanuts. Considering the Sox gave Duke 15M for three years, I see no problem giving Jones 8M for three years. One thing to consider is if the Sox at some point over the next few years decide to trade Robertson, Jones is likely the guy to replace him. If the numbers below are true, Jones would be an extremely cheap closer if Robertson were traded.

"The team has announced the deal and its precise terms. Jones does indeed get $8MM over three years, with salaries of $900K, $1.9MM, and $3.95MM. Then, there are two club options ($4.65MM & $5.15MM) with a $1.25MM buyout that applies to either, followed by a mutual option at $6MM."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/whit...nate-jones.html

One thing I do question is that 900k+1.9M+3.95 does not add up to 8M.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 11:32 AM)
One thing I do question is that 900k+1.9M+3.95 does not add up to 8M.

It does when you add in the $1.25M buyout.

So it is really three years at $6.75M total ($2.25M AAV) with a $1.25M buyout on the 2019 and 2020 club options.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 11:03 AM)
I did something? Just sayin', two major injuries in short amount of time. That was a lot of time and effort to come back from those injuries. And that amount of money won't cripple the Sox playroll. Good for him and his career.

LOL, the injury that started everything in 2014 was a strained gluteus muscles. He hurt his ass

Now we wait for the other shoe to drop: the trade of Robertson. Trading Robertson shed's $36 million in future commitments and gives Hahn an extra $10.1 million this year alone (Robertson $11M - Jones $.9M) from his closer role. Take the $10.1 and use it to put on a down payment for the 1st year of a stud OF like Upton or Cespedes and then back load the contract with the extra $27.5 M saved from the expiring contracts of Danks and LaRoche. Better yet, if you can trade Robertson for a young cost controlled OF w upside (think Soler type) and remove the financial burden and then take the money saved for another FA OF then you solve for both corners and move Cabrera to DH and dump LaRoche on anyone that will have him while even paying 80% or so of his remaining $13M.

Make it happen Rick!

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)
The cost of relief pitching is rising so if Jones stays healthy, this contract is peanuts. Considering the Sox gave Duke 15M for three years, I see no problem giving Jones 8M for three years. One thing to consider is if the Sox at some point over the next few years decide to trade Robertson, Jones is likely the guy to replace him. If the numbers below are true, Jones would be an extremely cheap closer if Robertson were traded.

"The team has announced the deal and its precise terms. Jones does indeed get $8MM over three years, with salaries of $900K, $1.9MM, and $3.95MM. Then, there are two club options ($4.65MM & $5.15MM) with a $1.25MM buyout that applies to either, followed by a mutual option at $6MM."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/whit...nate-jones.html

One thing I do question is that 900k+1.9M+3.95 does not add up to 8M

He gets a 1.25 million buyout if the Sox don't pick up the club options.

Edited by Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE (bruni @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 11:36 AM)
Now we wait for the other shoe to drop: the trade of Robertson. Trading Robertson shed's $36 million in future commitments and gives Hahn an extra $10.1 million this year alone (Robertson $11M - Jones $.9M) from his closer role. Take the $10.1 and use it to put on a down payment for the 1st year of a stud OF like Upton or Cespedes and then back load the contract with the extra $27.5 M saved from the expiring contracts of Danks and LaRoche. Better yet, if you can trade Robertson for a young cost controlled OF w upside (think Soler type) and remove the financial burden and then take the money saved for another FA OF then you solve for both corners and move Cabrera to DH and dump LaRoche on anyone that will have him while even paying 80% or so of his remaining $13M.

Make it happen Rick!

Trading Robertson greatly weakens the bullpen. I'd keep him unless someone bowls you over.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 11:06 AM)
He's already 29. It seems like power relievers like him decline around that age, or at least lose some of their velocity/pure stuff.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Jones being as good as he was during the duration of this contract.

He's being paid pennies though, $8M over 3 years is nothing in this day and age. Even if he declines a bit he'll easily be worth the contract.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 11:14 AM)
How much would he have earned in Arb? Looks like more sentimentality

At this point I'm 90% convinced you've been trolling us this whole time. This can't be a serious post.

QUOTE (bruni @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 12:36 PM)

Make it happen Rick!

Per Dan Hayes a Robertson salary dump is a 'very very small' chance.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 11:54 AM)
Per Dan Hayes a Robertson salary dump is a 'very very small' chance.

I think the chance is bigger than small to be honest but I don't see it as a salary dump.

The most obvious salary to move in order to get one of those big OF bats is Robertson, Danks, Melky or LaRoche. Robertson has the most value and would be the easiest to trade.

Hahn has been saying they would need to get creative in order to sign one of those FA bats.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 12:00 PM)
I think the chance is bigger than small to be honest but I don't see it as a salary dump.

The most obvious salary to move in order to get one of those big OF bats is Robertson, Danks, Melky or LaRoche. Robertson has the most value and would be the easiest to trade.

Hahn has been saying they would need to get creative in order to sign one of those FA bats.

THIS!

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 12:00 PM)

There is about zero chance they trade Robertson. They signed him for a reason. Creative is not ruining your bullpen.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 11:42 AM)
He's being paid pennies though, $8M over 3 years is nothing in this day and age. Even if he declines a bit he'll easily be worth the contract.

At this point I'm 90% convinced you've been trolling us this whole time. This can't be a serious post.

You got me too. Only a troll would question 8 million for a pitcher who gave up homers at an alarming rate. I'm just not into 81 wins and home run derby like you sages

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 12:10 PM)
You got me too. Only a troll would question 8 million for a pitcher who gave up homers at an alarming rate. I'm just not into 81 wins and home run derby like you sages

If they trade young players, you moan.

If they sign young players to reasonable extensions, you moan.

I think you need a different hobby.

Besides, even if his post surgery HR rate continues, he can be a s***ty reliever still making peanuts, with a contract the Sox will be unable to move. Isn't that perfect for you?

Edited by Dick Allen