Nate Jones re-signs with White Sox

Princess Dye

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 03:36 PM)
It's not scientifically proven or anything like that, but isn't it fair to say that a pitchers velocity "falls off" as they age?

Jones' main asset is his ability to light up the radar gun and I just don't know how effective he'll be in a few years when he's only hitting 93 or 94 instead of 98 and 99 like he is now.

He is 29, you are acting like he is in his mid 30s. The guy has thrown an easy high 90s since he has been on the organization, just took a very team friendly contract, and you don't like it because he -might- fall off because of an unproven(by your own admission) fall off age.

That is just strange

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 03:39 PM)
He is 29, you are acting like he is in his mid 30s. The guy has thrown an easy high 90s since he has been on the organization, just took a very team friendly contract, and you don't like it because he -might- fall off because of an unproven(by your own admission) fall off age.

That is just strange

If he's still hitting the high 90's and dominating when he's 32 at the end of this new extension, I won't be afraid to eat my words.

I just don't see it happening, especially because he's had TJ surgery recently.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 09:15 PM)
I explained why I disliked it.

I guess $8 million or so over 3 years isn't too bad, but I'd rather have seen that money go towards an outfielder.

I'm sure they wouldn't have made this deal if the 8 million dollars was the difference between bringing in another outfielder or not.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 03:36 PM)
It's not scientifically proven or anything like that, but isn't it fair to say that a pitchers velocity "falls off" as they age?

Jones' main asset is his ability to light up the radar gun and I just don't know how effective he'll be in a few years when he's only hitting 93 or 94 instead of 98 and 99 like he is now.

It's a 3-year deal, not a 7-year deal.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 03:41 PM)
If he's still hitting the high 90's and dominating when he's 32 at the end of this new extension, I won't be afraid to eat my words.

I just don't see it happening, especially because he's had TJ surgery recently.

TJ hasn't affected his velocity in the past, iirc this is his second TJ surgery. If it was shoulder I would be concerned.

This isn't a bank breaking deal to worry about

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 03:44 PM)
TJ hasn't affected his velocity in the past, iirc this is his second TJ surgery. If it was shoulder I would be concerned.

This isn't a bank breaking deal to worry about

Pitchers who have had Tommy John surgery many times come back stronger with the repairs made. I agree, a shoulder would be more worrisome to me than a Tommy John guy...

I hate to be a dick, but anyone upset about this deal is f***ing stupid. Relievers like Jones are basically getting the same amount of money on a per year basis as Nate is getting guaranteed over three years. The money we're giving him is basically what he would have gotten in the arbitration process as a setup man anways. However, if he were to move to closer, those dollar amounts would increase significantly. So not only have increased our potential control of Jones by a few years, we've also added some cost certainty regardless of how we use him. Throw in the injury contingencies and this deal is a total no-brainer.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)
I explained why I disliked it.

I guess $8 million or so over 3 years isn't too bad, but I'd rather have seen that money go towards an outfielder.

How many outfielders are you going to get for $900,000 in 2016, or $8 million over the next three years?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 05:08 PM)
How many outfielders are you going to get for $900,000 in 2016, or $8 million over the next three years?

Any truth to the rumor floating around that Robertson could be on the block? Would be extremely stupid.

Come on guys, give ChiSoxFanMike a break here. His concerns are understandable considering Jones had surgery on his back to relieve a nerve and followed that up with TJ while rehabing from his back surgery. I'm not really concerned about it but I understand where Mike is coming from.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)
My favorite kinds of posts. Disliking a deal with no sort of explanation why.

Tony, I was away from my computer using an IPad, which is a struggle for me, the print being very small, etc, so I made a one word comment. Ditto. Just re-inforced what Mike said. Last season, IIRC, Jones had a lot of troulbe getting anyone out, particularly in the last 6 weeks. I think they even shut him down the final 2 nweeks or so, which, to me, is not conduscive to giving a 3 year contract. Lets see how he does, but they could have buttoned him him for less than a million easily. I thought he should prove he can get hitters out first, that's all. Way to go, Mike.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)
Tony, I was away from my computer using an IPad, which is a struggle for me, the print being very small, etc, so I made a one word comment. Ditto. Just re-inforced what Mike said. Last season, IIRC, Jones had a lot of troulbe getting anyone out, particularly in the last 6 weeks. I think they even shut him down the final 2 nweeks or so, which, to me, is not conduscive to giving a 3 year contract. Lets see how he does, but they could have buttoned him him for less than a million easily. I thought he should prove he can get hitters out first, that's all. Way to go, Mike.

What are you talking about? Jones didn't even pitch until August because of injury and was pretty dang good in his 19 innings other than a fluky home run rate. He didn't allow a base runner in his last three appearances and had a sub 1.000 WHIP for the year. Are you sure we're talking about the same Nate Jones here?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)

As pointed out already, his HR rate was pretty fluky, his peripherals were great, his strikeout rate was elite, and even with the HRs his ERA was still solid. Not sure how that translates to "had a lot of trouble getting anyone out".

For comparisons sake, this guy is in the same year of arbitration as Jones, and underwent TJ surgery in May, so he is out part of this coming year.

Jon Heyman Verified account

‏@JonHeymanCBS

Adam Ottavino and rockies agree on $10.4M, 3-yr extension. Straight deal, no options. All Bases Covered agency did deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 12:57 PM)
For comparisons sake, this guy is in the same year of arbitration as Jones, and underwent TJ surgery in May, so he is out part of this coming year.

Jon Heyman Verified account

‏@JonHeymanCBS

Adam Ottavino and rockies agree on $10.4M, 3-yr extension. Straight deal, no options. All Bases Covered agency did deal.

Nice find ss2k5

For my 2 cents, I'll go with those who like this deal.

I've watched this guy pitch since I first saw him here in Winston-Salem. Nate Jones has been throughout his young career one of the most promising young relievers in the organization. I'm sure the Sox monitored his recovery closely and hitting 100 on the gun at the end of the year a few times proved his body is back in good shape. He's also proven he has the "stones" to pitch late innings in high-leverage situations. He's poised to have a great season and I'll predict he will be an elite-level setup man at minimum this season. He may even be a closer before it's all said and done - an absolute bargain with this contract.