Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 09:24 AM)
I feel like Gordon is going to sign a very team friendly deal for some reason.

That reason would be that he doesn't have much of a market. The big market teams aren't looking for an OF. His "hometown" team is lowballing him at $12AAV. The Sox should really swoop in and offer him 4 year/ $80M. That's nearly $30M over the Royals current offer. He makes this team so much better.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 10:01 AM)
That reason would be that he doesn't have much of a market. The big market teams aren't looking for an OF. His "hometown" team is lowballing him at $12AAV. The Sox should really swoop in and offer him 4 year/ $80M. That's nearly $30M over the Royals current offer. He makes this team so much better.

That $12 million is what I'm talking about though. I think he'll sign a deal much lower than people expected. Considering Zobrist just got 16 mill at 35 he should at least be getting that deal and I wonder if he will.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 11:06 AM)
That $12 million is what I'm talking about though. I think he'll sign a deal much lower than people expected. Considering Zobrist just got 16 mill at 35 he should at least be getting that deal and I wonder if he will.

I find it very hard to believe that he won't get (at minimum) a deal around $18-$20M AAV over 4 years. I also find it very hard to believe that he'd turn down 4/$80M and sign with the Royals at 4/$50M. No way he leaves $30M on the table.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 05:06 PM)
Wouldn't signing him require giving up a draft pick? Sox have already claimed supposedly that they aren't going after anybody that requires giving up a pick.

We'll see.

Mark

Even Buster Olney said that's not a deal-breaker for the Sox

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 09:11 AM)
Although I just broke this rule too, this thread is for tweets, quotes and links. Keep the analysis to a minimum.

No longer necessary since this is a separate thread now from the "tweets" thread for those of you who actually do as a mod suggests :P

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 11:12 AM)
I find it very hard to believe that he won't get (at minimum) a deal around $18-$20M AAV over 4 years. I also find it very hard to believe that he'd turn down 4/$80M and sign with the Royals at 4/$50M. No way he leaves $30M on the table.

I do too, but I have this nagging feeling he's going to sign for 16 mill and everyone will be kicking themselves.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 09:54 AM)
I do too, but I have this nagging feeling he's going to sign for 16 mill and everyone will be kicking themselves.

Sign Gordon, Melky DH's ,LaRoche occasional start ,PH, defensive replacement or gone one way or another. Yes please . It's not Cespedes or Upton but not a bad third choice at all.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)
All I know is that I don't want Gordon anywhere close to a Sox uniform.

Yeah, he's solid defensively, but he's also the oldest and worst hitter out of the elite outfielder group...not to mention that he has a QO attached too.

I am not a huge Gordon fan but isnt defense a HUGE need for the Sox?

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 09:59 AM)
I seen that Twitter update couple days ago but didn't think much of it. I'd be stunned if he left KC for CWS unless we offered way more money.

I wouldn't be stunned. The best way to hurt the Royals for low balling him would be to sign in the same division so he can get back at them . I like a motivated player .

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 10:01 AM)
I'm not sold on Gordon either. I don't like his age, his offense isn't great, he can't play RF, he's coming off an injury, and I don't think his defense will stay elite going forward, which is where the bulk of his value comes from.

Do the Sox really need "great "offense ? They need more talent. Yea his defense will start degrading or has already started but there's no doubting he has a lot of talent.

Out of the big 3 Gordon has the highest Steamer projected WAR next year and it isn't because of the "bulk" of his value comes from defense. Give me a guy familiar with the AL and especially AL Central pitching all day. They are the easier to say that I won't have to wonder about their projection as I would with NL players making the transition to the AL.