Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 02:19 PM)
Would help defensively. Get rid of LaRoche and move Melky to DH. Just a thought

I'd like him as a backup on a cheap deal like what De Aza got. But that's doubtful to happen.

Edited by Baron

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 02:23 PM)
That name actually isn't as crazy as it sounds if the Sox lose out on the big 3. Worst case scenario is that they could get a guy like Rios to platoon with Shuck in RF.

Avi would be a much better option to platoon with Shuck.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 02:21 PM)
Uhhhhh...he is EXACTLY what this team needs. Literally the only negative about him is that he's 32.

The thing that makes me nervous that goes with his age, is that he just came off his first injury shortened year. I feel nervous that injuries could become a regular occurrence now and if we are giving out our largest contract ever, I'd feel much better doing it to Upton for his age/health/other things.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 02:24 PM)
The thing that makes me nervous that goes with his age, is that he just came off his first injury shortened year. I feel nervous that injuries could become a regular occurrence now and if we are giving out our largest contract ever, I'd feel much better doing it to Upton for his age/health/other things.

Meh. Defense matters. Upton is at best a mediocre defender that will probably get worse as he ages. If they were both in line for 4/year $70-80M deals, I'd agree, but Upton is going to cost $40-$60M more. Use the savings to make the team better in other areas. Don't get me wrong, I'd be estatic if the Sox signed Upton; I just think Gordon is the best fit of the the three.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 02:30 PM)
Why does everyone want Gordon or Upton?

Am I the only one that would be ecstatic to see the Sox get Cespedes?

No. Everyone (well, most everyone) would be happy with any of the three. Cespedes might be the sexiest (for lack of a better word) of the three, but the dude has warts. He never walks, which is something is team badly needs. He isn't a great defender and will likely continue to get worse. And while I don't have any evidence of this, I don't get the feeling he is a team first type of player. Alex Gordon is the epitome of a team player and leader - plus he brings high OBP, elite defense and a left handed bat. Oh and about $5-8M in AAV to spend elsewhere.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 11:48 PM)
No way 4 years gets it done. If anything it will be 5 years with a buyout.

I believe you but that's ridiculous for a player like Gordon. Man, NFL teams have it made. They get to cut guys and those 8 year deals mean nothing. They don't have to pay up like baseball teams do.

Think of all the guys the Sox would have just cut. LaRoche, Dunn, Melky, Rios.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 02:34 PM)
I believe you but that's ridiculous for a player like Gordon. Man, NFL teams have it made. They get to cut guys and those 8 year deals mean nothing. They don't have to pay up like baseball teams do.

Zero chance the Sox would cut Melky.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 02:34 PM)

I don't think they can do it after year one. I'm pretty sure they have to at least honor half the deal.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 02:52 PM)
Defense/advanced stats aside, Melky still put up .273/12/77. It's not like he has zero value.

Exactly - in a down year for Melky. He is as more of a bounce back candidate than LaRoche. He's 30 years old. Put a few more decent hitters in the lineup, he will see better pitches, and now he's getting another run at AL Central pitching, I think he will be fine.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)
He's owed $29M over two years. The point was how nice it would be to cut him and the salary.

As recently as 2014, Melky was worth significantly more than what he is due the next two years. He had a bad year and still put okay offensive numbers. I am the biggest proponent of getting him out of the outfield everyday, but I think if the Sox wanted to just get out from under his contract they could. I also think he'll be worth his contract the next two years..the dudes a pretty good hitter.