Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 25, 2015 -> 12:32 AM)
It's fluid. Salary is only one factor. Tough to call an order of preference just yet. They really like Gordon though...

Is fluidity going to necessitate a deal to spin off somebody elsewhere for some salary relief? LaRoche, Danks?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 25, 2015 -> 12:37 AM)
Does the Gordon situation seem weird to you at all, Bucket? He seems non-committal & almost like he isn't sure that he wants to play for the Sox.

It also seems like Cespedes is hurting his price by holding out longer...

Do you think these guys are getting cheaper as each week passes? Only so long before ST...

Yeah this one's been a strange ride on all these guys. After Heyward the market moved in a way nobody expected. None of the media has said this yet, but Heyward's clauses (opt-out & trade) really shifted the paradigm.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 10:44 PM)
Yeah this one's been a strange ride on all these guys. After Heyward the market moved in a way nobody expected. None of the media has said this yet, but Heyward's clauses (opt-out & trade) really shifted the paradigm.

Yeah... Sure seems that way. I would assume nothing will really move until next week or after the start of the new year.

It seems obvious they want one of the top three, but wanting doesn't always result on getting, especially if they are sticking within guidelines, not just head-hunting.

I do think they make a deal with their guy if they get the chance & make it "fit" later.

Either way, I know I speak for everyone when I say, I really appreciate the info you & raBBit provide. Hope you have a Merry Christmas.

Edited by SoCalSox

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Dec 25, 2015 -> 12:47 AM)
So we can expect all 3 these guys to be cheaper like Gordon 4-5 years 75-80 million instead of 100 million.

I wouldn't mistake lack of signings to result in sub-$100M deals. It's the added clause demands that are giving pause and holding things up.

Edited by bucket-of-suck

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 25, 2015 -> 12:48 AM)
Yeah... Sure seems that way. I would assume nothing will really move until next week or after the start of the new year.

It seems obvious they want one of the top three, but wanting doesn't always result on getting, especially if they are sticking within guidelines, not just head-hunting.

I do think they make a deal with their guy if they get the chance & make it "fit" later.

Either way, I know I speak for everyone when I say, I really appreciate the info you & raBBit provide. Hope you have a Merry Christmas.

I'm out, guys. Happy holidays to you and yours.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 25, 2015 -> 01:00 AM)
Thanks for the info, Bucket. You are such an asset. Merry Christmas bud.

Ditto man. Bucket your the man. I Just got off work and was catching up, not only are your responses worded well (almost like you're a direct source in the FO, leaking info to us) but it is just enough to get us all excited and believe we have a great chance of getting one of the three. Should be an interesting start to the week....

One thing that worries me about the Gordon thing is. If KC has indeed been told they are out and the Sox were thought as one of the finalists (and Really that's been heavily reported). What's taking so long?

If it's money or opt out clauses or contract incentives I get it. Especially if talks recently just got serious after the KC negotiations "fell apart" after they low balled their homegrown guy. But if this guy is holding out because he's not sure he wants to play for us and is looking for a couple million more from KC than Eff' him. I understand wanting to play for your hometown and cashing in but sometimes you gotta pick. Looks like this is one of the times..

I would love Gordon on this team he adds a lot of the assets this team still lacks after reworking the IF, but I would also take Cespy or J Up. All three players offer different things we need. I really am looking forward to a positive conclusion next week on one of the big three fronts. Because in reality any one of these three makes us instantly a better team and contenders for the AL Central crown next season.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 25, 2015 -> 12:53 AM)
Gordon and Cespedes are primarily left fielders. Is the plan to use Melky in right or do you think there will be another move if the Sox sign Gordon/Cespedes?

Damn.. the one other good question after B>W and bmags (and toasty's last question) and bucket had to bounce. :lol:

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 25, 2015 -> 01:57 AM)
Ditto man. Bucket your the man. I Just got off work and was catching up, not only are your responses worded well (almost like you're a direct source in the FO, leaking info to us) but it is just enough to get us all excited and believe we have a great chance of getting one of the three. Should be an interesting start to the week....

One thing that worries me about the Gordon thing is. If KC has indeed been told they are out and the Sox were thought as one of the finalists (and Really that's been heavily reported). What's taking so long?

If it's money or opt out clauses or contract incentives I get it. Especially if talks recently just got serious after the KC negotiations "fell apart" after they low balled their homegrown guy. But if this guy is holding out because he's not sure he wants to play for us and is looking for a couple million more from KC than Eff' him. I understand wanting to play for your hometown and cashing in but sometimes you gotta pick. Looks like this is one of the times..

I would love Gordon on this team he adds a lot of the assets this team still lacks after reworking the IF, but I would also take Cespy or J Up. All three players offer different things we need. I really am looking forward to a positive conclusion next week on one of the big three fronts. Because in reality any one of these three makes us instantly a better team and contenders for the AL Central crown next season.

Why would Gordon get opt out clause?

It would also give the White Sox flexibility perhaps to get out of the contract after 2-3 years.

The problem, though, is those types of scenarios these days almost always work to the benefit of the player...he's playing well and can get more money elsewhere in 2018 but if on the decline he can just collect guaranteed money over the remainder of the deal. That situation really left the Dodgers short of pitching with Greinke, but it also prevented disaster with Albert Belle for the Sox almost twenty years ago. That said, you still have to replace that production somehow.

That said, Gordon wouldn't stick around just for the salary or paycheck if his skills greatly diminished...he would retire early like Meche or Cud dyer recently with the Mets imo.