Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even tongue in cheek, talk of acquiring two of the 3 big F.A. outfielders is just silly. It's not just that ownership would not spend that kind of money, it isn't even the best use of the money, if they were willing and able to spend it. The outfield will be fine with the addition of one of them, thank you. Another pitcher would be a higher remaining priority, though I doubt that they would pursue one.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 05:50 PM)
whats the point of getting him then whos plays RF for us

Cespedes in LF, Melky to DH and Avi/Shuck in RF. One of the problems I have with signing any of Upton/Cespedes/Gordon is they are all left Fielders and their best defense played is LF. All are upgrades over Melky in LF but none help the RF which is also a problem. Unless the Sox put Shuck in RF more often since he does play solid RF defense.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 05:55 PM)
Cespedes in LF, Melky to DH and Avi/Shuck in RF. One of the problems I have with signing any of Upton/Cespedes/Gordon is they are all left Fielders and their best defense played is LF. All are upgrades over Melky in LF but none help the RF which is also a problem. Unless the Sox put Shuck in RF more often since he does play solid RF defense.

Ya this is the conundrum I'm trying to figure out. Seems like they are trying to replace avi cause he's not living up to expectations. Getting gordon doesn't fix that. It upgrades leftfield but now leave Melky without a spot. He hasn't played RF in a couple years. If Laroche is traded then Melky cam go to DH but that still leaves avi in right. Upton hasn't played significant time in rf since 2012. Cespedes I can't find him having played other position then CF and LF. I think he could maybe handle RF ok. So if the are truly on gordon I don't know what they are going to do. Only other thought is getting gordon, then many trying to trade for cargo. Could use Laroche, avi and spects to get cargo then play gordon in left with Melky going to dh. Not fully understanding everything.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 05:55 PM)

Do we sign Parra for RF.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 06:13 PM)
Ya this is the conundrum I'm trying to figure out. Seems like they are trying to replace avi cause he's not living up to expectations. Getting gordon doesn't fix that. It upgrades leftfield but now leave Melky without a spot. He hasn't played RF in a couple years. If Laroche is traded then Melky cam go to DH but that still leaves avi in right. Upton hasn't played significant time in rf since 2012. Cespedes I can't find him having played other position then CF and LF. I think he could maybe handle RF ok. So if the are truly on gordon I don't know what they are going to do. Only other thought is getting gordon, then many trying to trade for cargo. Could use Laroche, avi and spects to get cargo then play gordon in left with Melky going to dh. Not fully understanding everything.

If the Sox sign one of the big three its likely they play LF, Melky goes to DH, LaRoche becomes a bench bat and we see some sort of platoon with Avi/Shuck in RF. Far from an optimal scenario, IMHO.

Colorado has no reason to be interested in LaRoche. CarGo is now worth his contract thanks to Heyward and once the big three sign he will have surplus value so CarGo is no longer a salary dump so trying to use LaRoche in a trade is a moot point to be honest. Colorado will get decent players in a trade for CarGo. Depending on what CarGo will cost he could be a better option than signing a player to a huge FA contract. CarGo would solve the RF problem, provides a left handed middle of the order power bat, is cheaper than the free agents and comes with two years of control like Frazier/Lawrie. Sure it would cost the Sox minor league depth but that depth could be replaced with the Sox having three picks in the first two rounds in June's draft which is supposed to have a good amount of talent. Again, this all depends on Colorado's trade demand's which at this point only Colorado knows those demands. With the plethora of outfield talent available in FA and the trade market, I'm think Colorado's demands should not be too high, or at least I hope not but ya never know.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 06:17 PM)
Do we sign Parra for RF.

The Sox are already at their '15 payroll. It's one thing to hope they scrounge up the money for one FA but two ain't happening.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 06:56 PM)
If the Sox sign one of the big three its likely they play LF, Melky goes to DH, LaRoche becomes a bench bat and we see some sort of platoon with Avi/Shuck in RF. Far from an optimal scenario, IMHO.

Colorado has no reason to be interested in LaRoche. CarGo is now worth his contract thanks to Heyward and once the big three sign he will have surplus value so CarGo is no longer a salary dump so trying to use LaRoche in a trade is a moot point to be honest. Colorado will get decent players in a trade for CarGo. Depending on what CarGo will cost he could be a better option than signing a player to a huge FA contract. CarGo would solve the RF problem, provides a left handed middle of the order power bat, is cheaper than the free agents and comes with two years of control like Frazier/Lawrie. Sure it would cost the Sox minor league depth but that depth could be replaced with the Sox having three picks in the first two rounds in June's draft which is supposed to have a good amount of talent. Again, this all depends on Colorado's trade demand's which at this point only Colorado knows those demands. With the plethora of outfield talent available in FA and the trade market, I'm think Colorado's demands should not be too high, or at least I hope not but ya never know.

The Sox are already at their '15 payroll. It's one thing to hope they scrounge up the money for one FA but two ain't happening.

Then RF going be huge hole.

CarGo and Ethier are those two interesting case studies for how much return they can get now compared to being pure salary dumps a year ago.

Ethier I believe has the longer deal, so wouldn't cost as much...and is more of a complimentary player for LA.

CarGo, otoh, is the remaining franchise player (most identifiable) for the Rockies, and rebounded significantly...so they will definitely ask for Fulmer or Adams....and it's unsure whether Adams alone gets it done now.

Another factor is he's a lot more expensive than Frazier...but we don't unfortunately have the equivalent of another Montas/Micah/Trayce package we're willing to deal. Maybe Hawkins and Adams, that feels like their ask in terms of selling it to the fanbase.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 05:37 PM)
Four years at $50-75 million is the negotiating zone.

No way he gets five and $100, even with Boras.

But roughly the same numbers being bandied forth about Gordon.

One would have to argue that having a deep bullpen that can cover 5-6 inning starts rather than 6-7+, that exploitation of a market inefficiency (having a dominant yet relatively affordable pen) would cause them to be even more reluctant not to get sucked into overpaying for veteran starting pitching with the numbers being so crazy.

If anything, it forces teams to look at Latos and Fister more closely.

I'm just saying what I heard on MLBN about Chen.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 08:15 PM)
CarGo and Ethier are those two interesting case studies for how much return they can get now compared to being pure salary dumps a year ago.

Ethier I believe has the longer deal, so wouldn't cost as much...and is more of a complimentary player for LA.

CarGo, otoh, is the remaining franchise player (most identifiable) for the Rockies, and rebounded significantly...so they will definitely ask for Fulmer or Adams....and it's unsure whether Adams alone gets it done now.

Another factor is he's a lot more expensive than Frazier...but we don't unfortunately have the equivalent of another Montas/Micah/Trayce package we're willing to deal. Maybe Hawkins and Adams, that feels like their ask in terms of selling it to the fanbase.

Sign Gordon, trade Adams, Avi and Danish for Cargo :)

Regarding RF issues....

They'd have to try Cabrera in RF and hope for the best...unless they bring in two out of Span, Parra, Fowler, Jackson and forget the Big 3 (or make a trade for one OFer).

Feels like the best we can possibly hope for is Big 3 now with an additional midseason acquisition if we're in contention.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 07:13 PM)

I think you do.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 05:21 PM)
Regarding RF issues....

They'd have to try Cabrera in RF and hope for the best...unless they bring in two out of Span, Parra, Fowler, Jackson and forget the Big 3 (or make a trade for one OFer).

Feels like the best we can possibly hope for is Big 3 now with an additional midseason acquisition if we're in contention.

Melky would basically be the same thing as Avi in RF but we'd have an elite defensive LF with Gordon.. and having Frazier/Sally in the IF and Gordon/Eaton on that side of the OF would at least make 2/3 of the defense above average

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 07:15 PM)

I don't want to turn this into a catch all so I'm going to post my response here...

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=97806