Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Dec 25, 2015 -> 02:22 PM)
What Outfielders that make a impact.

Well, there's Upton, Cespedes, CarGo, Ethier, Blackmon, Dickerson, Kemp and Ozuna. Then there's Houston who is rumored to be looking at moving an outfielder due to their gluttony of them so its possible Gomez and Tucker are available and a less impact bat in Marisnkck who plays eleite defense with base stealing speed. Also rumored is Atlanta is willing to listen to offers on Inciarte who also brings elite defense with base stealing speed and five years of control at a cheap price.

Many many options available to teams in search of outfield bats and IMHO, that why the market is taking so long to develop. Teams are likely talking to agents about their players contract demands as well as calls to GM's about asking prices in trades. With so many options, its easy to see why the market is taking so long. Fans just need to relax and have some patience since there's no hurry.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 25, 2015 -> 03:02 PM)
Well, there's Upton, Cespedes, CarGo, Ethier, Blackmon, Dickerson, Kemp and Ozuna. Then there's Houston who is rumored to be looking at moving an outfielder due to their gluttony of them so its possible Gomez and Tucker are available and a less impact bat in Marisnkck who plays eleite defense with base stealing speed. Also rumored is Atlanta is willing to listen to offers on Inciarte who also brings elite defense with base stealing speed and five years of control at a cheap price.

Many many options available to teams in search of outfield bats and IMHO, that why the market is taking so long to develop. Teams are likely talking to agents about their players contract demands as well as calls to GM's about asking prices in trades. With so many options, its easy to see why the market is taking so long. Fans just need to relax and have some patience since there's no hurry.

Trade more prospects idk about that.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Dec 25, 2015 -> 03:05 PM)
Trade more prospects idk about that.

Depends on the prospects. Going into the off season Hahn said the Sox were open to trading lower level pitching prospects for hitting and they did just that with the Lawrie trade. One thing to keep in mind is that none of us Sox fans know what's being discussed so to rule out the possibility of the Sox making another trade is very short sighted.

There are two benefits in going the trade route. 1) with so many outfielders available the cost of prospects shouldn't be too bad depending on the player the Sox are interested in trading for so if we're talking about young pitching like what the Sox gave up for Lawrie, those prospects will be easily replaced by possibly even better prospects in June where the Sox have three picks in the first two rounds of a draft that is supposed to have more talent than last year's. 2) trading for an outfielder will be less costly in terms of the length of contract and possibly annual salary plus the added bonus of not giving up a comp pick for free agents that come with one attached. Less costly options now leaves more financial flexibility in the short and long terms.

I'm not advocating what the Sox should do as far as sign or trade, I'm just trying to keep my mind open and illustrate that there are plenty of other possibilities. We've already seen potential signings and trades fall through this off season so I'm not getting my hopes up for any one particular player. Focusing on one player leads to high hopes and if it doesn't happen, that leads to b****ing and complaining by the fans. The only thing I'm somewhat counting onnis that the Sox will add an outfield bat in some capacity. Might be a power hitter, might be a speedster with elite defense, who knows?

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 25, 2015 -> 03:13 PM)
Not to mention Jay Bruce, Brett Gardner, Carl Crawford/Van Slyke/Thompson, Desmond Jennings, Avi, haha.

Then Fowler, Span, Austin Jackson and Parra as well.

My man! Thanks for adding them to the list Caulfield. Soooo many options available its crazy.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 25, 2015 -> 10:28 PM)
Depends on the prospects. Going into the off season Hahn said the Sox were open to trading lower level pitching prospects for hitting and they did just that with the Lawrie trade. One thing to keep in mind is that none of us Sox fans know what's being discussed so to rule out the possibility of the Sox making another trade is very short sighted.

There are two benefits in going the trade route. 1) with so many outfielders available the cost of prospects shouldn't be too bad depending on the player the Sox are interested in trading for so if we're talking about young pitching like what the Sox gave up for Lawrie, those prospects will be easily replaced by possibly even better prospects in June where the Sox have three picks in the first two rounds of a draft that is supposed to have more talent than last year's. 2) trading for an outfielder will be less costly in terms of the length of contract and possibly annual salary plus the added bonus of not giving up a comp pick for free agents that come with one attached. Less costly options now leaves more financial flexibility in the short and long terms.

I'm not advocating what the Sox should do as far as sign or trade, I'm just trying to keep my mind open and illustrate that there are plenty of other possibilities. We've already seen potential signings and trades fall through this off season so I'm not getting my hopes up for any one particular player. Focusing on one player leads to high hopes and if it doesn't happen, that leads to b****ing and complaining by the fans. The only thing I'm somewhat counting onnis that the Sox will add an outfield bat in some capacity. Might be a power hitter, might be a speedster with elite defense, who knows?

excellent and extremely interesting post.

it gives a hint of fans should be more open minded .... which i like.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 25, 2015 -> 05:34 PM)
excellent and extremely interesting post.

it gives a hint of fans should be more open minded .... which i like.

Thanks LDF. I've been a Sox for a long time and have had my heart broken more than a few times in the past by having a favorite SOX player traded or sign elsewhere in FA as well as getting my hopes up for signing or trading for players only to see things fall through and not happen. For me, its better to remain open minded and curb expectations to alleviate potential disappointments. What the Sox FO does is beyond my control so all I can do as a fan is sit back and hope they make the right moves.

I'm not a fan of signing Gordon but if the Sox sign him you bet I'll be cheering for him as long as he's in a Sox uni.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 26, 2015 -> 12:20 AM)
Thanks LDF. I've been a Sox for a long time and have had my heart broken more than a few times in the past by having a favorite SOX player traded or sign elsewhere in FA as well as getting my hopes up for signing or trading for players only to see things fall through and not happen. For me, its better to remain open minded and curb expectations to alleviate potential disappointments. What the Sox FO does is beyond my control so all I can do as a fan is sit back and hope they make the right moves.

I'm not a fan of signing Gordon but if the Sox sign him you bet I'll be cheering for him as long as he's in a Sox uni.

extremely great ....

for me, all i ever wanted was to have the sox open their wallet and get those missing pieces. however they went for the elite players and to be honest, that is all i can ask for, i'll settle for those 2nd or 3rd tier fa's to get the missing pieces and fix this ball club. this ball club is running on 4 flat tires .... this is how the previous regime left this club.

the fix, if continued in a right way, is still a far away off. the first hint of help came in the shape of rodon, the next help is fulmer, jacob may, and then that is it.... until the next wave.

again, i just hope the club can and will continue to do the right thing.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 25, 2015 -> 08:17 PM)
extremely great ....

for me, all i ever wanted was to have the sox open their wallet and get those missing pieces. however they went for the elite players and to be honest, that is all i can ask for, i'll settle for those 2nd or 3rd tier fa's to get the missing pieces and fix this ball club. this ball club is running on 4 flat tires .... this is how the previous regime left this club.

the fix, if continued in a right way, is still a far away off. the first hint of help came in the shape of rodon, the next help is fulmer, jacob may, and then that is it.... until the next wave.

again, i just hope the club can and will continue to do the right thing.

Don't forget Anderson. ;)

Cannot wait for Monday to get here so the hot stove fires back up. As far as Baseball is concerned, its sure looks like its going to be a rather boring holiday weekend. Understandable, just booooooring!

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 26, 2015 -> 02:29 AM)
Don't forget Anderson. ;)

Cannot wait for Monday to get here so the hot stove fires back up. As far as Baseball is concerned, its sure looks like its going to be a rather boring holiday weekend. Understandable, just booooooring!

dang it.... to much holiday ummm eggnog with cheer. :wub:

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 25, 2015 -> 11:15 PM)
Judging from some of the recent discussion, it sounds like the Sox haven't even made an offer yet. One would think that if it's taken this long to produce an offer, then it should be a pretty enticing, well thought over offer. I'm excited to see what transpires.

Historically, Reinsdorf hasn't wanted to bid against himself. I imagine that Hahn has done all the back and forth with the agent, seeing what give and take there is, and then going back KW and JR to formulate the Sox's best, and only, offer for Monday.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 25, 2015 -> 10:15 PM)
Judging from some of the recent discussion, it sounds like the Sox haven't even made an offer yet. One would think that if it's taken this long to produce an offer, then it should be a pretty enticing, well thought over offer. I'm excited to see what transpires.

I'm sure they have made "offers" but have yet to make an official formal offer. Hopefully it's good enough and we have a great Monday.