Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 08:06 PM)
The only thing I saw was the White Sox offer was 3 years. Maybe a team offered him more, but not significantly more. If a team offered him $30 million more he would have a lot of union pressure because he basically would be suppressing the future earnings of a lot more players than himself.

Yeah, the union pressure thing has to be considered too. All reports are Gordon is a pretty intense guy in his preparation and I'd just think when you get an ultra fair offer like 18 mill a year for four years (if that's true) and you are a legend in that town forever, just take the cash and don't even think about how you could have made 20-30 million more going to some city where at 32 years old you'll be way out of your comfort zone as your skills decline.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 02:03 PM)
Did the Royals actually make the best offer? I stand by the premise of my post. Yes I'd leave 30 million on the table to stay with a team I just won a WS with, where I was totally comfortable with my routine, the way the team does things, the way I like to prepare for games, not having to prove myself to new fans and a new, big city. The reason? Cause I got 18 mil a year for four years from the team I'm comfy with, and that frankly, is enough in my mind.

Now if the Royals offer was indeed the best he could have gotten, my bad. If the Royals actually won some sort of bidding war, again, my bad.

With all the houses you've lost I doubt you wouldn't take the extra 30 million.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 02:37 PM)
With all the houses you've lost I doubt you wouldn't take the extra 30 million.

4 guaranteed years AND a mutual option 5th year? A) no wonder he signed back in KC and B) they can have him for the guaranteed years involved.

This makes a $100 million dollar deal for both Yo and Upton pretty much a given, if it wasn't already...unless someone can convince either guy to take a shorter deal/opt out in order of cashing in for more $$ down the line (a la Heyward)

Greg, where are you getting $30 million from?

The only rumors are the White Sox offered 4/$80 and the Cardinals were roughly in the same ballpark as the Royals but clearly unwilling to go five years.

Much like the Heyward situation (Cubs vs. StL), we're talking likely differences of $5-15 million in all likelihood and nothing close to $30 million or the player's association/union really would have had an issue with it for depressing FA salaries. That's well beyond a hometown discount.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 04:25 PM)
The only rumors are the White Sox offered 4/$80 and the Cardinals were roughly in the same ballpark as the Royals but clearly unwilling to go five years.

That's certainly not the "only" rumor I've heard. The other rumor I've heard is the White Sox were unwilling to go to 4 years. Here's an example:

Perhaps that fourth year sealed the deal; the Chicago White Sox had reportedly been interested in Gordon but only on a three-year deal.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)

Much like the Heyward situation (Cubs vs. StL), we're talking likely differences of $5-15 million in all likelihood and nothing close to $30 million or the player's association/union really would have had an issue with it for depressing FA salaries. That's well beyond a hometown discount.

Where is the source on the rumor that the Sox offered 4/$80?

"Terms of the deal, which includes a mutual option for 2020, were not disclosed when the Royals officially announced the contract Wednesday afternoon. But according to a source, Gordon will make $12 million this year, $16 million in 2017 and $20 million in each of the final two years. The mutual option year is worth $23 million, or $4 million if either side opts out."

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/kansa...l#storylink=cpy

Basically, the minimum possible is $72 million and maximum is $91 million over five years.

That really buys KC some payroll flexibility these next two years to add another starting pitcher or bat

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:25 PM)

Caulfield, I had no knowledge. I was trying to make the point when it was said Gordon was getting 4 years at 72 million total from KC, that if somebody offered 20 mill for five years that would mean he gave up 20 mill the final year plus two mill a year for five years which is 10 more mill for a total of 30 million.

How much could Gordon have made elsewhere? That's what I want to know or was KC's offer the largest he received? I'm just saying that most people on this board don't EVER see a case a player would leave money on the table to stay with his current team. I'm not discounting the fact I could be wrong, but if ever there would be a guy to do so, it would be Gordon. He went to Nebraska, is very aloof with media, has a strict daily regimen. If ever a guy loved his current situation and current REGIMEN it's Gordon. He's now assured Len Dawson status in this town, not quite Brett status but right up there. As an old ballplayer, he doesnt have to "worry" about getting booed out of Boston or New York or be the latest Angels' flop if he declines. ... I'm saying when you make 72 million the next four years, just forget about what you might have made elsewhere. 72 million is enough for Gordon and future generations of Gordons to be set for LIFE.

I realize my position is unpopular and I admit I could be mistaken if indeed all players are out to attain every nickle they can attain. I'm not saying I'm right.

Edited by greg775

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/i...ision-favorites

We may never know to what degree, if any, Alex Gordon absorbed a so-called “hometown discount” along the way to his once-improbable re-enlistment with the Royals in the deal that was offered on New Years’s Eve to become the exhilarating final exclamation point on their 2015 penchant for the comeback.

“Do my instincts tell me that Alex took less money to come here? Yeah, that’s what my instincts tell me,” general manager Dayton Moore said Wednesday. “But I don’t know that for a fact, and that’s between Alex and his family.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-colum...l#storylink=cpy

Where's "Cojones of Steel" guy now? That was one of the most memorable comments in the thread. Where was Hahn on New Year's Eve, haha?

Going by the Rabbit/Bucket timeline, Gordon was offered by the White Sox on Monday, December 27th and countered by the Royals on Thursday night.

Also, Gordon, his agent and the Royals are refusing to tell anyone the amount of other offers, fwiw.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 05:48 PM)
To a lot of folks, most money = best situation.

yes, but not everyone. It is far from millions, but I am making at least 10% less where i am at now,I know this because I turned down an offer of more cash from another place, but i have a 6 minute commute and can leave to do personal things (pick up kid from school, dog to vet, doctor, whatever) pretty much whenever I want. And i like it here. If he took less because he likes it there, well, OK.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)
yes, but not everyone. It is far from millions, but I am making at least 10% less where i am at now,I know this because I turned down an offer of more cash from another place, but i have a 6 minute commute and can leave to do personal things (pick up kid from school, dog to vet, doctor, whatever) pretty much whenever I want. And i like it here. If he took less because he likes it there, well, OK.

I turned down an interview last month for exactly the same reason.