What if they dont sign one of the big OF FA?

shipps

Considering money constraints and the possibility things just don't work out for the Sox to be able to land one of the big FA, what will your outlook on this team be? Is your opinion of this team for next year solely based on them landing one of the big name FA's outfielders?

If they do sign one of the big guys what is the next player or position that they will have to fill for you to be satisfied with the team going into next year? I am sure there will still be another need they HAVE to address or it will make all their other moves useless unless they do that to.

You cant have Garcia in the the lineup playing crap defense and swinging away at garbage. My main focus would be improving the defense in the out field.

For all the good they've done. You just cant have that black hole on the team. I guarentee they will be looking for his replacement at the deadline if they do roll with him out there.

Edited by Baron

My opinion has been the same this entire time: If they can't land a middle of the order bat in the OF, the Frazier move was pretty much pointless.

They don't have enough as is to truly compete without big bounce-back years from certain players.

I think the obvious two positions to address would be finding a shortstop or back end of the rotation starter if they land one of the big 3 outfielders. If they could somehow bring alexi back on a one year deal I would consider that a successful offseason with everything else they've done.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 12:05 PM)
My opinion has been the same this entire time: If they can't land a middle of the order bat in the OF, the Frazier move was pretty much pointless.

They don't have enough as is to truly compete without big bounce-back years from certain players.

That's where I have a difficulty understanding why people don't consider this an option. Is it ideal? No, of course not. But every team has some spots to where they are going to roll the dice on some guys. What team doesnt have guys that they are counting on to have better seasons next year than the year before?

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 10:13 AM)
That's where I have a difficulty understanding why people don't consider this an option. Is it ideal? No, of course not. But every team has some spots to where they are going to roll the dice on some guys. What team doesnt have guys that they are counting on to have better seasons next year than the year before?

You trade 5 prospects for two players with two years of control. I'm under the logic that you don't do that & then expect bounce back years from players in order to truly compete.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
You trade 5 prospects for two players with two years of control. I'm under the logic that you don't do that & then expect bounce back years from players in order to truly compete.

Why?

Yours and many others logic is that they can only possibly go balls to the wall or just do nothing at all. There can be a middle ground to where you do what you can such as trade to fill two major holes on the defensive end and in your lineup and roll the dice with some of the other guys that under performed last year.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
Why?

Yours and many others logic is that they can only possibly go balls to the wall or just do nothing at all. There can be a middle ground to where you do what you can such as trade to fill two major holes on the defensive end and in your lineup and roll the dice with some of the other guys that under performed last year.

I also don't think we require "big" bounce back years to contend. A modest bounce back from LaRoche and Melky, and an ERA under 3 from Sale and we should at least be in the picture. Though I wouldn't feel comfortable with it, which is why we really need one of the Big 3.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)
Why?

Because this team has half-assed things for multiple years & have failed miserably doing so.

If you are going to go all in, trade for two guys with limited control, while having guys like Sale, Abreu, Quitana, etc in their primes under cheap control, why wouldn't you add the extra player & backload the deal for 2016?

I don't understand why you would count on bounce-back years & simply hope you did enough to get into the playoffs.

Makes very little sense to me.

Either go all in or tear it down. We obviously know they aren't going to tear it down, so why not add the extra player to truly help you contend in a weak AL?

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
I also don't think we require "big" bounce back years to contend. A modest bounce back from LaRoche and Melky, and an ERA under 3 from Sale and we should at least be in the picture. Though I wouldn't feel comfortable with it, which is why we really need one of the Big 3.

I feel you. It will make it more comfortable if we do land one of the big three for sure. I just don't want to fall into the trap to where I am thinking we have to sign everyone and trade for every possible option that may be an upgrade. That doesn't work out for teams when its all said and done. It sure as hell didn't work for the Sox and San Diego last year.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)

I tend to agree with this. A quick go through the results last year I saw they lost 42 games by 2 runs or less. Adding Crazier and Lawrie to the offensive blackholes that were 3B and 2B, plus moderately upgrading the catchers position is gonna go a long way into winning more of those close loses.

Throw in a full year of Rodon, and potentially half a season from Fulmer as well..

I would obviously love to see Cespedes/Upton/Gordon or even Parra, but I don't think the off-season would be a failure like some suggest if they don't.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 10:38 AM)
Just realized I created a thread that was pretty much the same as another thread, just worded differently.

:cheers

I am bored, sorry.

I saw this thread and was like WTf isn't this my thread about the Sox fallback options in case they don't get one of the Big 3 ?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 07:15 PM)
CarGo and Ethier are those two interesting case studies for how much return they can get now compared to being pure salary dumps a year ago.

Ethier I believe has the longer deal, so wouldn't cost as much...and is more of a complimentary player for LA.

CarGo, otoh, is the remaining franchise player (most identifiable) for the Rockies, and rebounded significantly...so they will definitely ask for Fulmer or Adams....and it's unsure whether Adams alone gets it done now.

Another factor is he's a lot more expensive than Frazier...but we don't unfortunately have the equivalent of another Montas/Micah/Trayce package we're willing to deal. Maybe Hawkins and Adams, that feels like their ask in terms of selling it to the fanbase.

Agree with what you say here. I think Ethier would be the less costly option in a trade. One thing I didn't consider in my OP was the fact that left handed RF power hitters are few and far between on this year's market which will add even more surplus value to CarGo. It's still possible CarGo could be had at a reasonable price due to the overall abundance of outfielders available but not as cheap as Ethier.

With the speculated cost of Upton/Cespedes/Gordon, I think attempting another trade could be a better idea for the Sox and more of a possibility than some may think despite the lack of depth in the upper minors. Imo, Ethier can be had without costing Fulmer or Anderson but I could be wrong. I think for a deal to work with LA, they must be willing to take a Sox outfielder not named Eaton in return as part of the trade. Problem is that the Dodgers have enough outfielders as is.

Here's a look at the balance of Ethier's contract. I don't consider this bad at all to be honest.

2016 34 Los Angeles Dodgers $18,000,000

2017 35 Los Angeles Dodgers $17,500,000

2018 36 Los Angeles Dodgers *$17,500,000 $17.5M Vesting Option, $2.5M Buyout

Another alternative would be to see what the Yanks want for Gardner. Problem is he's really never played RF and should probably stay in LF but he is a much cheaper alternative to signing a FA which could leave some money to be spent elsewhere or mid-season if the Sox are legit contenders.

Here's Gardner's contract...

2016 32 New York Yankees $13,500,000

2017 33 New York Yankees $12,500,000

2018 34 New York Yankees $11,500,000

2019 35 New York Yankees *$12,500,000 $12.5M Team Option, $2M Buyout

Not sure what the Yanks would want in return though they are reportedly seeking a RH starting pitcher. It does seem as though they are looking to lower their payroll so maybe Gardner can be had for something like Beck/Avi? Not sure to be honest.

I'm just entertaining alternatives to the Sox OF search. I'm not completely sold that the Sox are going to sign a FA and especially one with a comp pick. There's so many conflicting rumors going on I kind of think the Sox end up doing something we may not see coming. Hahn said he many irons in the fire and I do believe that.

Gardner might be more palatable if not for the last two years...

Really think the White Sox are targeting additions for 2016-17 and might look at 2018 for the right guy but you don't want to have contracts for speed/athleticism-based players who quickly seem to lose those skills in their early to mid 30's these days.

We typically tend to be 2-3 years late on those types of veteran additions for name-brand players coming over from other organizations.

For that reason, CarGo makes more sense as the fallback option, but more based on what they're asking for...or Inciarte at the right price as well.

All things considered, Gordon's a lot surer bet for roughly the same money per year...as long as you don't go five years. I think four years and $70 million is the max contract KC would be willing to fork over.

So CarGo minus talent for two years (obviously not Q) or a Gordon commitment for two very productive years and two potentially declining years, and losing a draft pick but having a lot more confidence because of the AL/ NL disparity, Coors splits and a long history of injury problems versus Gordon missing hardly any time before 2015.

Otoh, LH and plays RF and at his peak more dominating than Gordon...like a Cespedes or Upton in that sense. Streaky.

One of the things I like about CarGo is the shorter commitment tomgo with his left handed power. I would rather bank on CarGo who is 30 to hold up for the next two year as opposed to Gordon at age 32 for the next 5 years. When CarGo becomes a FA he will surely net the Sox a comp pick and CarGo buys the Sox time to develop May/Engel/Hawkins or whichever is not used in a trade for CarGo.

Inciarte: that's the player I desire most in a trade. Elite defense, speed, LHB with a little pop, hits for a good average and comes with five years of control. Yep, I'd take that. Fits the "core" group to a T that Hahn speaks about. However, I admit he would be costly to acquire and I probably don't want to know what Atlanta's asking price would be. Still, one can dream right?

Gardner: I think he would hold up just fine despite him slowing with age. He does hit with a little more pop which would help and combine that with what speed he has he could be a solid #2 hitter for the Sox or hit in the middle like 5th or 6th to help restart the lineup after Abreu or Frazier goes yard. Something like #3 Abreu #4Frazier #5 Gardner #6 Lawrie.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 25, 2015 -> 02:19 AM)
Agree with what you say here. I think Ethier would be the less costly option in a trade. One thing I didn't consider in my OP was the fact that left handed RF power hitters are few and far between on this year's market which will add even more surplus value to CarGo. It's still possible CarGo could be had at a reasonable price due to the overall abundance of outfielders available but not as cheap as Ethier.

With the speculated cost of Upton/Cespedes/Gordon, I think attempting another trade could be a better idea for the Sox and more of a possibility than some may think despite the lack of depth in the upper minors. Imo, Ethier can be had without costing Fulmer or Anderson but I could be wrong. I think for a deal to work with LA, they must be willing to take a Sox outfielder not named Eaton in return as part of the trade. Problem is that the Dodgers have enough outfielders as is.

Here's a look at the balance of Ethier's contract. I don't consider this bad at all to be honest.

2016 34 Los Angeles Dodgers $18,000,000

2017 35 Los Angeles Dodgers $17,500,000

2018 36 Los Angeles Dodgers *$17,500,000 $17.5M Vesting Option, $2.5M Buyout

Another alternative would be to see what the Yanks want for Gardner. Problem is he's really never played RF and should probably stay in LF but he is a much cheaper alternative to signing a FA which could leave some money to be spent elsewhere or mid-season if the Sox are legit contenders.

Here's Gardner's contract...

2016 32 New York Yankees $13,500,000

2017 33 New York Yankees $12,500,000

2018 34 New York Yankees $11,500,000

2019 35 New York Yankees *$12,500,000 $12.5M Team Option, $2M Buyout

Not sure what the Yanks would want in return though they are reportedly seeking a RH starting pitcher. It does seem as though they are looking to lower their payroll so maybe Gardner can be had for something like Beck/Avi? Not sure to be honest.

I'm just entertaining alternatives to the Sox OF search. I'm not completely sold that the Sox are going to sign a FA and especially one with a comp pick. There's so many conflicting rumors going on I kind of think the Sox end up doing something we may not see coming. Hahn said he many irons in the fire and I do believe that.

this is excellent and very informative. well put together.

the main problem I see is this, the sox do not have the assets to make it work. but you really got a point.