Favorite Christmas movies

greg775

Since I'm visiting relatives in Chicago and TV is on a lot, what is your favorite Christmas movie ever? And which ones do you hate?

a.) You can't go wrong with Christmas Vacation but it's best with the cuss words not edited out. Chevy was likeable and funny with his facial expressions back in the day. I'd have to think a lot of his stuff was ad libbed.

b.) A Christmas Carol (with Alastair Sim): Excellent movie; a little serious for daytime watching. Better late at night when in a reflective mood. Most of the Christmas Carols suck, but this Scrooge is a great actor.

c.) Christmas with the Krink's: Bad movie. Not funny for the most part.

d.) It's a Wondy Life: Enough said. It's great. Jimmy Stewart is one of the great actors/americans of all time.

e.) Miracle on 35th Street: It's OK. The Macy's Santa story is cute.

f.) A Christmas Story: Kind of addictive once you start watching. Ralphie is a legend. The relationship between mom and pop is kind of cool in the movie when dad takes them to Chinese dinner.

g.) White Christmas: Too dull for me. Bing is a cool name.

h.) Scrooged: Never watched it all the way through. I suspect it's funny cause Murray is great.

i.) Elf: Will Farrell is the greatest.

j.) Best Christmas skit ever: Alec Baldwin as the consultant brought in to intimidate Santa's elves on SNL.

k.) Home Alone. The stuff McAuley Culkin does to the thieves is pretty funny.

Films the family and I are guaranteed to watch this time of the year:

Christmas Vacation, Home Alone 1 & 2, and A Christmas Story.

Jingle All the Way, through the years, has found its place in our list of must see Christmas movies.

A Christmas Story

Bad Santa

A Christmas Horror Story ( watched it a month or so ago, great movie)

Christmas Vacation

Silent Night Deadly Night ( original and remake)

A Charlie Brown Christmas

Scrooged

Trading Places ( not sure if its a "Christmas movie" but still great)

I saw Scrooge with George C. Scott. I'll give him credit. He was a decent Scrooge. Still no Alastair Sim, though.

It's amazing all the remakes of A Christmas Carol and the dialog is almost exactly the same in all of them. There's not much you can change unless you are spoofing it. Amazing plot.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 02:32 PM)
Christmas Story I make sure to watch every year.

An underrated favorite of mine is Trapped in Paradise.

I like Trapped In Paradise as well. Also, The Ref. As for The Christmas Carol, I prefer the 1938 version. I've needed to take several years off from watching It's A Wonderful Life and The Christmas Story. I love both but just seen each sooooo many times, even viewing once a year just seems pointless.

• 2 years later...

No one mentioned the cartoons from the 1960's like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman or How the Grinch Stole Christmas All classics in my mind. Someone did mention a Charlie Brown Christmas . That is also a cartoon classic from the 60's.

I suppose technically these are not movies but they are wonderful examples of the best things to watch at Xmas. Even kids of today can appreciate them. Hard to beleive most of those are already 50 years old.

It's a Wondeful Life

Home Alone

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

Trading Places (eh, yea, I consider it a Christmas movie, agree with the person above)

Frosty the Snowman

A Charlie Brown Christmas

A Nightmare Before Christmas (good for either halloween or christmas)

A Christmas Story

Just Friends