Official "Making a Murderer" Thread

BigHurt3515

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 08:56 AM)
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/activist-...cted-cops-kill/

Tangentially related, this man predicted his own death and said multiple times it would be at the hands of the Fresno police

I've read a few cases like this before and it's almost always a mental breakdown that leads to acting irrationality and a death or just a flat out suicide (Michael Hastings was a popular one). Not saying that happened here. Would love to read more about it.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 09:08 AM)
I've read a few cases like this before and it's almost always a mental breakdown that leads to acting irrationality and a death or just a flat out suicide (Michael Hastings was a popular one). Not saying that happened here. Would love to read more about it.

Here is some more info. This is actually pretty sickening. Seems like the guy stumbled onto a scam

http://fresnopeoplesmedia.com/2016/01/2829/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Late to the party but just finished.

My thoughts echo a lot of those in here. But specifically, Dassey's first lawyer got me the most. I can't imagine what part of the story would have been left off that would mitigate how terrible he was. Essentially working for the prosecution, and letting him be interviewed alone? Are kidding me? He's a piece of s*** that should be disbarred.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 05:05 PM)
Turns out he's now a local judge!

Ugh. There was a part right when he was introduced in the documentary where it mentioned he'd just been running for office. He clearly took the Dassey case for political gain. I'd say it backfired on him, but maybe not, if he got what he wanted.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 09:33 AM)
So I have to travel up to Manitowac for a deposition next week. I think i'm going to try and get a photo of the Avery sign and drive around to see what the town/area is like.

The Avery place is a ways out of Manitowac. It's over on a country road in Mishicot probably about 20-30 minutes from Manitowoc proper. The Courthouse Pub in downtown Manitowoc is pretty good. If you're up closer to Two Rivers, Kurtz is a decent German restaurant that sometimes has dry-rubbed ribs.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
The Avery place is a ways out of Manitowac. It's over on a country road in Mishicot probably about 20-30 minutes from Manitowoc proper. The Courthouse Pub in downtown Manitowoc is pretty good. If you're up closer to Two Rivers, Kurtz is a decent German restaurant that sometimes has dry-rubbed ribs.

Looks like i'll be right downtown by the river. I might check out the courthouse pub. Thanks.

edit: oof, yeah, it's like 25 miles north and out of the way. Not sure a photo of the sign is worth 50 miles.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

• 4 months later...

Here's the decision if anyone is interested:

https://www.scribd.com/document/321033786/B...&from_embed

For some reason Dassey's attorney didn't make an ineffective assistance of counsel argument, only a conflict of interest argument. And it sounds like the Court probably would have agreed that his initial attorney was ineffective.

They overturned the conviction on the basis that his confession wasn't voluntary. There's a good analysis there, basically agreeing with everyone that watched the show - you've got a dumb 16 year old without a parent present being asked to provide details about the crime and the kid just continues to guess until he gives them the information that they want.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 15, 2016 -> 05:30 PM)
Now that the confession is deemed involuntary, the state really has nothing else to try him on, correct? I read the state has 90 days to appeal

They didn't have anything else.

Brendan Dassey better move out of Manitowac County once he's released before he finds himself the suspect of a murder investigation.

• 4 weeks later...

Real late to the party, here.

Brendan had nothing to do with it, I'm convinced.

Steven, not sure. One thing, I thought his lawyers were great.

I did find it odd, though, that they didn't make a bigger deal out of the lack of a crime scene (I'm specifically referencing the lack of Halbach's blood) on Steven's property. She supposedly was tied up, stabbed, throat slit, and shot. And no blood?

I also don't understand how they seemed to have one set of facts for Steven's trial and another for Brendan's. I get that it's two trials, but the evidence should basically match.

Since the documentary is edited, there's a lot we didn't get to see. However, based on what I saw, I feel it was a total set up by the police to convict someone they believed to be guilty. Once they found their suspect, they did everything to make him be guilty.

Prosecutor was a dbag. I hated seeing and hearing him. Everyone involved in the prosecution was pretty unlikeable - including Brendan's first defense team.

Lots of bad looks in the Avery family. I like that almost no effort was made to dress up for court.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...