2016 Catch All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed that it has become harder and harder for me to lose myself in the movie going experience, the more filmmaking I do, the more I learn about the craft and what goes into it as I climb the ladder.

I noticed this when I saw The Force Awakens, I was so excited and pumped up but when the movie started I could stop thinking about how they did stuff, why they made the filmmaking and aesthetic choices they did, etc. rather than losing myself in the film. I thought the movie was great but I couldn't enjoy myself. Ever since that, everytime I see a movie for the first time in the theater it's been like that.

Does this make sense to anyone?

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 22, 2016 -> 08:34 PM)
I've noticed that it has become harder and harder for me to lose myself in the movie going experience, the more filmmaking I do, the more I learn about the craft and what goes into it as I climb the ladder.

I noticed this when I saw The Force Awakens, I was so excited and pumped up but when the movie started I could stop thinking about how they did stuff, why they made the filmmaking and aesthetic choices they did, etc. rather than losing myself in the film. I thought the movie was great but I couldn't enjoy myself. Ever since that, everytime I see a movie for the first time in the theater it's been like that.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Yeah, I experienced something similar when I would play video games after I had taken a class in game programming. "I wonder what code they used to make ___ happen..." etc. rather than enjoying the game

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 22, 2016 -> 10:15 PM)
Yeah, I experienced something similar when I would play video games after I had taken a class in game programming. "I wonder what code they used to make ___ happen..." etc. rather than enjoying the game

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 07:50 AM)
If anything, it made me want to go see films I wasnt open to seeing before and appreciate them.

I just can't enjoy them or myself. Im sitting in the theater and everyone's cheering and I'm just like wondering how they did things with a massive headache.

Movies that I thought were terrible, I have a deeper appreciation for. There are some people who's work I really hate but I appreciate their craft so much more now than before.

Edited by Joshua Strong

I've had a cold since Friday. Stuffy nose, cough, green mucus, minimal sleep the first couple nights, all of the works. I think I have a sinus infection, so a simple z pack antibiotics would make me feel better.

I did have a Dr. appointment scheduled for tomorrow but he had to cancel because he called in sick lol. I found it ironic and I am annoyed. He told me (through his nurse) to take dayquil and nyquil for a few days, if not better, call back. I said oh thanks (kind of snarky). Not to be rude, but I was just like come on. The one time I need a Dr. he had to cancel.

I have felt better the last couple days, but I've probably gone through 4 boxes of kleenex and still have a slight cough. Just want this to go away.

End rant. Sorry guys lol

Does anyone else buy/wear Skechers sneakers? I'm usually a bit picky on my shoes and I don't mind spending a little more on them because I'll wear them until the soles literally fall off. I've been known to keep a pair of shoes for 10 years or more.

Anyway I bought a pair last year at a Shopko because they were on sale for like $40 and I happened to like the style and found my size. Two things that are pretty unusual for me unless I'm in an actual shoe store. I wore them as my casual everyday shoe for a few months during the summer. Then one day while I was tying them, one of the loops that holds the shoelace broke. I dealt with it for a little while because I liked the shoes but was never really happy about it.

Then I found the exact same shoes at another store but these had memory foam insoles built into the shoe. So I bought a second pair and had been happy with them up until last week when the tongue literally fell right out of the left shoe. It didn't pull out. It didn't come un-stitched. Its like it was never even attached to the shoe at all.

Of course the deadline for returning the shoes was about a week ago so I can't even return them. I emailed the company to see if they can do anything about it but as of right now, I think I'm going to stick to paying a little more for a better brand of shoe.

Edited by Iwritecode

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, so student loan service companies are f***ing terrible. Does anyone have Navient (formerly Sallie Mae, I think)? If so, be warned.

I just got a notice in the mail my monthly payment was being reduced by 25%. I didn't ask for it or authorize it. I emailed them about it asking why and they sent me some BS non-answer that it was to conform to the terms of unsubsidized/subsidized federal loans. So I call them today for an actual answer and it turns out they, without authorization from me, extended the term of the loan by FIVE YEARS to "conform" to new maximum term limits allowed by the Federal Government. I don't even know if that's true, but either way, this company took it upon themselves to extend my loans and collect an extra 5 years of interest off me. What a crock of s***. I had them change it all back to my original payment schedule but I bet 95% of their customers are going to get this letter and be like "oh sweet, i'm saving some money," not realizing their going to pay more in the long term.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 20, 2016 -> 10:51 AM)
Wow, so student loan service companies are f***ing terrible. Does anyone have Navient (formerly Sallie Mae, I think)? If so, be warned.

I just got a notice in the mail my monthly payment was being reduced by 25%. I didn't ask for it or authorize it. I emailed them about it asking why and they sent me some BS non-answer that it was to conform to the terms of unsubsidized/subsidized federal loans. So I call them today for an actual answer and it turns out they, without authorization from me, extended the term of the loan by FIVE YEARS to "conform" to new maximum term limits allowed by the Federal Government. I don't even know if that's true, but either way, this company took it upon themselves to extend my loans and collect an extra 5 years of interest off me. What a crock of s***. I had them change it all back to my original payment schedule but I bet 95% of their customers are going to get this letter and be like "oh sweet, i'm saving some money," not realizing their going to pay more in the long term.

That seems like it shouldn't even be legal. Can't do that on a mortgage without the borrower. Maybe there's a clause in the student loan contract about it? Crappy in any case.

We saw our payments reduced automatically on my wife's loans about 5 years after she finished her PhD, but it was because the rate automatically went down as part of the deal. We are paying 1.75% now.

Why not just keep paying the same amount instead of the new lower amount? It would achieve the same result of not changing your payoff date and you wouldn't pay any more in interest.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 20, 2016 -> 02:50 PM)
Do you know what time zone Indianapolis is in? CNN doesn't?.

Indiana should all be on central time. The line that should be the dividing line between Eastern and Central goes through Columbus Ohio.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 20, 2016 -> 02:54 PM)
I agree, but I don't think CNN was trying to make that statement.

Nah, CNN is just dumb. The whole time zone thing is up there with the states alcohol policies as stupid things that should have been fixed a long time ago.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Apr 20, 2016 -> 01:24 PM)
Why not just keep paying the same amount instead of the new lower amount? It would achieve the same result of not changing your payoff date and you wouldn't pay any more in interest.

That's what I'm going to do.

Was this for a federal loan serviced by Navient/Sallie Mae, or a private loan with Navient/Sallie Mae?

I recently refinanced my private loans with Sofi (used to be with Navient) but my federal loans are still serviced by Navient.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 07:14 PM)
Was this for a federal loan serviced by Navient/Sallie Mae, or a private loan with Navient/Sallie Mae?

I recently refinanced my private loans with Sofi (used to be with Navient) but my federal loans are still serviced by Navient.

Federal loan serviced by them.

How'd the refi process go? Could you pick the term you wanted? I have so many loans, some at 1.5% others at 6%, some paid back in 10 years, others in 20.