2016 Catch All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 09:04 PM)
I love Panera food, but it's gotten so damn pricey with smaller portions in the last few years. I loved right above one in college and a chipotle half a block away, hangovers were so easy then.

I agree...I hadn't gone in a couple years (I used to go all the time when i was studying for my CPA and/or working on weekends) and was shocked at how much more it cost for what I would usually get (a you pick two with a soup and salad).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 11:22 PM)
I agree...I hadn't gone in a couple years (I used to go all the time when i was studying for my CPA and/or working on weekends) and was shocked at how much more it cost for what I would usually get (a you pick two with a soup and salad).

When they moved to more fresh ingredients and local sources the costs went up and were passed on to the end customer. 10 bucks is pretty normal there without a drink now.

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 08:52 AM)
f***. Looks like we are getting bombed this weekend with snow. 6-10 inches in the burbs.

I'd be fine with just the snow. But immediately after, the temps drop into the single digits for a week every f***ing time. Wednesday high of 11, low of -1. Thursday high of 10, low of 1. If snow was followed by temps in the 30s and 40s it would be so much more tolerable.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)
I'd be fine with just the snow. But immediately after, the temps drop into the single digits for a week every f***ing time. Wednesday high of 11, low of -1. Thursday high of 10, low of 1. If snow was followed by temps in the 30s and 40s it would be so much more tolerable.

Exactly, it becomes f***ing Hoth.

Interesting article on Cahokia, an ancient city that's right outside of St. Louis. My wife and I stopped there for a couple of hours when we were heading back from St. Louis back in 2011, and I'd recommend it to anyone passing through the area. At its peak in about 1100 AD, it had a population of as many as 30,000 people, which would have made it larger than London or Paris at that time. It was the largest city to have existed north of Mexico in the Americas until the Europeans came over, and its the largest archaeological site in North America.

http://arstechnica.com/features/2016/12/th...-louis-suburbs/

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)
Interesting article on Cahokia, an ancient city that's right outside of St. Louis. My wife and I stopped there for a couple of hours when we were heading back from St. Louis back in 2011, and I'd recommend it to anyone passing through the area. At its peak in about 1100 AD, it had a population of as many as 30,000 people, which would have made it larger than London or Paris at that time. It was the largest city to have existed north of Mexico in the Americas until the Europeans came over, and its the largest archaeological site in North America.

And we put an interstate right thought it. This a place that is on my bucket list. I am still kicking myself for not getting over to the Serpent mounds when I was over by Columbus last year.

I took an anthropology class in college, which I thought was general anthro, but instead focused half of the semester on this particular civilization. I remember nothing of it, other then vague bits and pieces...but somehow I got an A (which probably goes back to why I was taking anthro as an undergrad). The real reason was, I thought it would be fun, and the class was horrific, cause I was expecting a more modern view of anthro.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 06:42 AM)
House explosion last night in Homer, they were rerouting traffic and evacuating people in a pretty large area due to a gas leak

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagotribu...android-verizon

I live less than a mile away from the explosion. It seemed to me that Homer has no capabilities to handle any type of major disaster. They had terrible coordination of emergency management because the majority of the emergency agencies were a hodge podge team of about 6 or 7 different towns. There was little to no communication with the residents on what to do or what was actually happening. I think they did the best they could for what they have in resources but damn I hope nothing bigger than this ever happens in Homer.

They still dont seem to know what happened exactly.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)
And we put an interstate right thought it. This a place that is on my bucket list. I am still kicking myself for not getting over to the Serpent mounds when I was over by Columbus last year.

Cahokia is a great spot to check out. There are a few other mound-builder parks and monuments along the Mississippi valley too, all the way to Iowa and Wisconsin.

And if you like that sort of thing, I highly recommend visiting either Chaco Culture (NM) or Canyon de Chelly (AZ). The latter is much more profound, but you can only see it with a Navajo guide so it's pricey and a little restrictive. The former is pretty cool itself and you can walk it on your own. Mesa Verde (CO) would also be on the list, except it is visited by a LOT more people - it's crowded, and you can't walk into most of the ruins anymore because they were too worn down by visitors.