2016 Catch All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 07:33 AM)
I think he got the room number by getting connected to her room from a house phone that displayed the room number when connected. Then he requested the room next to her.

I'm not saying the Marriott is devoid of guilt or negligence, but is it $55M worth? Did she actually suffer $55M worth of damage?

I actually have personal experience with a neighbor stalking my family, and it is not a good feeling. I won't bore with all the details, but my neighbor made it a point to be in our lives over a number of years. It was unavoidable because our kids were basically the same age, so we'd see him at sporting events, school, etc. It made so much of our lives less enjoyable. We eventually had to get an injunction against him because it really affected my wife when he was around. And, he was relentless. Even after the injunction, he always pushed it to the threshold of harassment. Finally, we just decided to move - losing a sizable amount of money in the process.

So, I truly feel bad for Andrews. I understand that she won't be comfortable in certain places for a long time, maybe never. Sometimes, though, I have a hard time wrapping my head around large damage settlements.

I couldnt put a number on having my privacy and life exposed like that. It may be an obscene number, but it will most definitely change the way hotels do business when it comes to things like that.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he got the room number by getting connected to her room from a house phone that displayed the room number when connected. Then he requested the room next to her.

I'm not saying the Marriott is devoid of guilt or negligence, but is it $55M worth? Did she actually suffer $55M worth of damage?

I actually have personal experience with a neighbor stalking my family, and it is not a good feeling. I won't bore with all the details, but my neighbor made it a point to be in our lives over a number of years. It was unavoidable because our kids were basically the same age, so we'd see him at sporting events, school, etc. It made so much of our lives less enjoyable. We eventually had to get an injunction against him because it really affected my wife when he was around. And, he was relentless. Even after the injunction, he always pushed it to the threshold of harassment. Finally, we just decided to move - losing a sizable amount of money in the process.

So, I truly feel bad for Andrews. I understand that she won't be comfortable in certain places for a long time, maybe never. Sometimes, though, I have a hard time wrapping my head around large damage settlements.

If you are going to create a disincentive for companies to do things like this, you have to make the number pretty big to get their attention. $5M isn't going to make that company think twice.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 07:43 AM)
If you are going to create a disincentive for companies to do things like this, you have to make the number pretty big to get their attention. $5M isn't going to make that company think twice.

That's exactly it. The award isn't about what Andrews deserves, it is about what would make large firms put some better controls in place. And reading about the case, the hotel did some pretty stupid stuff.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 08:06 AM)
That's exactly it. The award isn't about what Andrews deserves, it is about what would make large firms put some better controls in place. And reading about the case, the hotel did some pretty stupid stuff.

It's similar to the McDonald's coffee case in that regard, and just like that case, I'd imagine that there's a negotiated settlement for an undisclosed amount before they get through the appeals process.

Just a heads up for anyone who may not know, most Marianos have grill stations in the meat department and you can have them grill your steak, fish, chicken, sausage or w/e they have there for free of charge. Its nice to get a seasoned and grilled 1 lbs NY strip for like $8.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 08:06 AM)

And reading some more, the $55M was joint and severable liability, split 49/51 between the local Marriott owner and operator companies and the stalker. I doubt the stalker has $28M, so she'll likely only ever see $26M from the owner and operator companies.

edit: if the incident had happened after Tennessee's tort reform law from 2011, though, damages would be capped at $750k.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 11:28 AM)
Just a heads up for anyone who may not know, most Marianos have grill stations in the meat department and you can have them grill your steak, fish, chicken, sausage or w/e they have there for free of charge. Its nice to get a seasoned and grilled 1 lbs NY strip for like $8.

I do it often as well as buy from hot bar and salad bar. Marianos FTW

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
What does a hotbar entail?

You live in Chicago and you don't know what a hotbar is?

The best hotbar around is contained in the newer Whole Foods. They all have good ones, but some of the best eats are at the Whole Foods in Schaumburg.

A hotbar is simply a bunch of pre-made food of various types. You make a plate of a bunch of tasties and away you go.

5_0.jpg

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 01:46 PM)
You live in Chicago and you don't know what a hotbar is?

The best hotbar around is contained in the newer Whole Foods. They all have good ones, but some of the best eats are at the Whole Foods in Schaumburg.

A hotbar is simply a bunch of pre-made food of various types. You make a plate of a bunch of tasties and away you go.

Since when did they stop calling those "buffets"?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 01:52 PM)
Since hipsters started going to buffets.

Incorrect.

A buffet is a place you go to to eat garbage food with no limits for a set fee. Hotbars charge by the pound. They are overpriced, but they are also amazing, and the food is of much higher quality if you go to the right places.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 08:58 PM)
Incorrect.

A buffet is a place you go to to eat garbage food with no limits for a set fee. Hotbars charge by the pound. They are overpriced, but they are also amazing, and the food is of much higher quality if you go to the right places.

Yeah, it's not a buffet; it's a pay-by-weight cafeteria.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 03:21 PM)
I like Marianos chicken fingers from hot bar. Sometimes get the sausage and make spaghetti at home to mix with it. Honestly never tried their Mac n cheese

I am pretty obsessed with Marianos mac n cheese and my wife is pretty over me wanting it.

There is some flavor in it that I just cant put my finger on.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 04:57 PM)
I am pretty obsessed with Marianos mac n cheese and my wife is pretty over me wanting it.

There is some flavor in it that I just cant put my finger on.

It's called crack, shipps

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 06:01 PM)
They built a Mariano's on LaGrange and 141st too now.

That place is waaaaaaaaay to crowded for me. Not finding a parking spot in the entire lot let me know it wasnt in the cards to shop there.

Good luck and hopefully congrats dude.

Received a counter offer early this morning and sent back a counter to their counter. Sellers just went through a bitter divorce so the sellers' agent has to bounce back and forth between them and that is slowing things down a bit. Hope to have an answer within an hour or so.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 10:40 AM)
Received a counter offer early this morning and sent back a counter to their counter. Sellers just went through a bitter divorce so the sellers' agent has to bounce back and forth between them and that is slowing things down a bit. Hope to have an answer within an hour or so.

Staying where you are at now? I know at one point you guys were looking at other areas.

Best of luck!

Staying where you are at now? I know at one point you guys were looking at other areas.

Best of luck!

Well, no good job opportunities came along in Northern/Central Indiana and we're long outgrown our current house so yeah, we're staying in the area. Really hate being this far from Chicago but it seems to be what's in the cards for me right now.