2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

Oh good, Trump is being advised by Walid Phares. That seems totally normal.

Ted Cruz also gave some press conference today where he sounded like an absolute nut case. I guess when Frank Gaffney is whispering in your ear, there is not a lot of normal that will come out of your mouth.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 22, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
Trump's interview with the WaPo editorial board was...interesting.

An in many cases totally contradictory to what he said at an earlier scripted event he had yesterday. Such a joke. Its time to stop blaming most of the republicans as it seems more and more that the real reason for the Trump force are non republicans / non voters coming out to vote for him. Most republicans do not view him favorably. Of course most never viewed Cruz favorably but now we are stuck with him as the secondary alternative.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 22, 2016 -> 12:29 PM)
An in many cases totally contradictory to what he said at an earlier scripted event he had yesterday. Such a joke. Its time to stop blaming most of the republicans as it seems more and more that the real reason for the Trump force are non republicans / non voters coming out to vote for him. Most republicans do not view him favorably. Of course most never viewed Cruz favorably but now we are stuck with him as the secondary alternative.

Don't like what Trump has to say? Wait until his next event.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 22, 2016 -> 12:33 PM)
Don't like what Trump has to say? Wait until his next event.

Sometimes even the next sentence!

He seems to have a few issues he really cares about but seems pretty clearly uninterested in anything else. It's a big, rambling word salad like any other time he actually has to address specifics.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 22, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
Trump's interview with the WaPo editorial board was...interesting.

I can understand the logic behind supporting any of the other candidates. I could understand it with all the others I've seen as well.

I can't understand how someone giving it even a moment's actual thought can seriously support a candidate under the logic that, well, politicians have sucked for a while now, so I'll vote for a hyena instead. I mean, yeah, Trump isn't a typical politician to be sure. But this is the definition of cutting your head off to get rid of a headache.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 22, 2016 -> 12:38 PM)
He seems to have a few issues he really cares about

I think he cares about getting elected as they all do. I don't think he really cares about any issue enough to take position if he thinks it will lose him more votes than he gains.

Donald J. TrumpVerified account

‏@realDonaldTrump

Incompetent Hillary, despite the horrible attack in Brussels today, wants borders to be weak and open-and let the Muslims flow in. No way!

He's not courting the racist vote though. That's the media taking the things he's said out of context.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 08:06 AM)
Cruz, doing his best to challenge trump for worst candidate.

f6ywgEu.png

lol as if there are just neighborhoods of Muslims in the US waiting to radicalize themselves. They're a ticking time bomb!

So what do people think are the realistic odds that Bernie Sanders is the Democratic nominee? He's really not that far off from Hillary and tends to poll better nationally when directly compared to Republican nominees. Just curious what people think who follow the party closer than I do.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 09:22 AM)
So what do people think are the realistic odds that Bernie Sanders is the Democratic nominee? He's really not that far off from Hillary and tends to poll better nationally when directly compared to Republican nominees. Just curious what people think who follow the party closer than I do.

Probably about the same as Hillary getting arrested. Not sure what odds those are.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 09:42 AM)
Are you asking if the democratic party would try to sabotage his nomination if he passed Hilary in delegates?

They absolutely would. That's why super delegates exist.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 10:14 AM)
Probably about the same as Hillary getting arrested. Not sure what odds those are.

That would also guarantee that they rupture the party and lose big in November up and down the ticket. Sd's seem more to provide "momentum" than anything.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 10:14 AM)

I don't think this would happen. If Bernie passed Hillary in pledged delegates and the super delegates gave her the nomination anyways she would stand zero chance of winning in November. The "Bernie or Bust" movement is already gaining steam and would really take off if Bernie gets screwed out of the nomination.

As for Bernie 's chances, odds are still against him. One hypothetical scenario, he and Clinton split the remaining until California, he'd need 80% of the delegates there. I just don't see a realistic way he gets the nomination.

It was cool seeing all of the Sanders support driving all around new england last week though. Hopefully his campaign has changed some fundamental things about the democratic party and its base.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 10:26 AM)
You'd never know about Bernie's big Saturday because the media is practically ignoring it. The favoritism in the media on both sides is ridiculous.

Even in the reports I have read on it the media is using the way Washington awards its delegates to make it seem like Bernie only cut her lead by 35 delegates when in reality it will be closer to a 65 or so gain once the rest of the delegates are awarded. One article I read made the ridiculous assertion that Bernie continues to do well in "predominantly white, caucus states" despite the fact that Washington, Hawaii and Alaska are three of the most ethnically diverse states in the USA. The media bias is really out of hand.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 11:03 AM)
Even in the reports I have read on it the media is using the way Washington awards its delegates to make it seem like Bernie only cut her lead by 35 delegates when in reality it will be closer to a 65 or so gain once the rest of the delegates are awarded. One article I read made the ridiculous assertion that Bernie continues to do well in "predominantly white, caucus states" despite the fact that Washington, Hawaii and Alaska are three of the most ethnically diverse states in the USA. The media bias is really out of hand.

It's ok, people that care to educate themselves on the matter will do so. The sheeple will be sheeple until their last breath, you won't influence them because they just want to eat grass.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 11:03 AM)

Hawaii? Yes, there are huge Asian populations there, but way below average in anything else.

Washington is more white on average than the US is.

Alaska does have a big Indian population, but is far below average in Hispanic and black, and close to average in white population.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)
Hawaii? Yes, there are huge Asian populations there, but way below average in anything else.

Washington is more white on average than the US is.

Alaska does have a big Indian population, but is far below average in Hispanic and black, and close to average in white population.

Hawaii has the lowest percentage of whites in the USA along with the highest percentage of both Asians and multiracial people.

Washington has roughly average white population with higher than average Asian, Native and multiracial populations.

Alaska has a high Native and mixed rate population with roughly 50% of newborns being a minority

To say that Bernie won these states because they are "white states" is pretty ridiculous.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa