2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 10:15 AM)
Just feel the need to say that I think RBG was out of bounds making comments on the election. Scalia started it, she is adding on to it. I hope it stops.

Just out of curiosity, what did Scalia say along similar lines?

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
From a WaPo editorial:

So what I gather is that nothing she said is explicitly punishable (can you even punish a SCJ?), but it was still real dumb.

Theoretically they can be impeached by Congress.

A whole lot of our system (and really all political systems) rests on people adhering to 'norms'. If those break down enough, e.g. the Senate and the President are opposite parties and the Senate flatly refuses to confirm any nomination for any appointee at any level, it can invoke a constitutional crisis with no clear path to resolution.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 10:15 AM)
Just feel the need to say that I think RBG was out of bounds making comments on the election. Scalia started it, she is adding on to it. I hope it stops.

Sandra Day O'Connor allegedly got very upset when Florida was first called for Gore because she wanted to retire with a Republican president (and she got to help ensure that that happened!)

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 10:28 AM)
Bernie suspended his campaign.

Democrats finally uniting.

I'd expect to still see a slight uptick for Trump in polls over the next couple of weeks due to 1) Clinton's emails 2) him not really having yet another huge meltdown (so far) 3) the VP announcement, assuming it isn't a dumpster fire itself, and 4) the RNC, assuming the same. Hillary will start to get the last of the bernout support she can hope to receive, and then after the DNC I'd expect her to get back to her 6+ point margins in the national polls and continue dominating every swing state poll as she's been doing.

This is great to watch. HRC is everything Bernie is against, now they are talking about being happy in each others corner and how they've long been friends.

Bernie reluctantly clapping while HRC talks about Wall Street is magnificent.

This country and our politicians are a joke.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
Do candidates usually announce their VP pick before the convention or after?

I can't recall any convention that did not feature a speech by the VP nominee.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 09:14 AM)
This is great to watch. HRC is everything Bernie is against, now they are talking about being happy in each others corner and how they've long been friends.

Hard to disagree.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)

Clinton more or less adopted Sanders college plan in its entirety recently.

I don't know who I am voting for or if I am voting for all but it wasn't going to be HRC or Bernie. But to see him roast her for as long as he has and then sit up there and talk about how fierce she is, wow. His facebook followers are absolutely roasting him. All those donations to help him fight to the convention and then to bow out and support everything that he had said was evil. That's pretty disappointing.

VP nomination is voted for at the convention. Back in I think '44 there was a floor fight over it with the Republicans, but that's the last time there's been any VP drama. Typically, the decision is announced several days/a week ahead of time and is confirmed without issue at the convention. Trump reportedly still doesn't know exactly who he's going to pick, and his pick has to be voted on by the delegates. They don't necessarily have to approve his first choice if it was off-the-walls crazy.

Latest rumors have been Pence, Gingrich, and Christie along with some random generals. Most people asked about the VP spot have said they have no interest.

Trump also promised to release his convention schedule last Wednesday but hasn't said anything about it since then.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 11:27 AM)
I don't know who I am voting for or if I am voting for all but it wasn't going to be HRC or Bernie. But to see him roast her for as long as he has and then sit up there and talk about how fierce she is, wow. His facebook followers are absolutely roasting him. All those donations to help him fight to the convention and then to bow out and support everything that he had said was evil. That's pretty disappointing.

This is how primary campaigns go. If anything, there was even more rancor between the Clinton and Obama camps in '08. His hardcore bernouts are upset about it, but he had a 0.00% chance of winning the nomination at this point and he isn't as delusional as them as realizes that a Clinton Presidency and potential Democratic Senate is a lot better for his own ideological/political goals than a Trump/Republican win in November.

edit: I say this as someone who voted for Bernie in the primaries and isn't all that enamored with Clinton.

Edited by StrangeSox

I don't recall him ever saying Clinton was evil, but if you thought the HRC/Sanders primary was nasty, then I hope you enjoyed your first primary.

That's the way it goes. You're no more entitled to anything for giving to a political campaign than a Kickstarter.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 12:30 PM)
I don't recall him ever saying Clinton was evil, but if you thought the HRC/Sanders primary was nasty, then I hope you enjoyed your first primary.

For real, as asinine as this primary got, the 2008 primaries were so much uglier. Clinton (as in, herself and her campaign directly, not others) did next to no negative campaigning this time.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 11:33 AM)
For real, as asinine as this primary got, the 2008 primaries were so much uglier. Clinton (as in, herself and her campaign directly, not others) did next to no negative campaigning this time.

Bush-McCain / Brown/Clinton

It's the beauty of the rigid two party system in the world's greatest democracy. Endorse Trump or a 3rd party candidate and he would get laughed at.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 11:38 AM)
It's the beauty of the rigid two party system in the world's greatest democracy. Endorse Trump or a 3rd party candidate and he would get laughed at.

Required link to Duverger's law (two parties are an almost inevitable outcome of a first-past-the-post system, especially a Presidential one where coalition-building doesn't really work like it can in a parliamentary system)

eta: short answer, if you want more viable parties than two, abolish the Presidency and the Senate, switch to proportional representation or at least a parliament.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 11:30 AM)

Definitely not my first primary. People are missing the point, sure, many primaries have been ugly. But how often or when was the last time we seen two same-party candidates so far off from each others beliefs and what they stand for? That is disappointing for his supporters who couldn't be MORE anti-other candidate (in this case HRC)

He never said "HRC is evil" but he has continually called out her political stances while being the complete opposite of her political party

But anyways, here's a video of him saying she is the lesser evil

http://dailycaller.com/2016/05/22/bernie-s...-is-evil-video/

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 11:53 AM)
Definitely not my first primary. People are missing the point, sure, many primaries have been ugly. But how often or when was the last time we seen two same-party candidates so far off from each others beliefs and what they stand for? That is disappointing for his supporters who couldn't be MORE anti-other candidate (in this case HRC)

He never said "HRC is evil" but he has continually called out her political stances while being the complete opposite of her political party

But anyways, here's a video of him saying she is the lesser evil

http://dailycaller.com/2016/05/22/bernie-s...-is-evil-video/

I was a Bernie supporter. I'm glad he's ending his campaign and endorsing Clinton. I'm voting for Clinton along the same "lesser evil" lines and am fine with that since I get to choose between the orange baby-hands narcissist scammer and a centrist Democrat who's drifted left over the years partially in response to Sanders' campaign.

She's not the complete opposite of Sanders and he is smart enough to recognize that. Trump and what the Republican party generally represent are much, much farther away from Sanders' views than Clinton, and he correctly understands that a President Clinton is, at worst, much less damaging to his own causes than a President Trump.

His supporters who melted down over the non-indictment and are now melting down over what anyone could have seen coming a couple of months ago are a small fringe of his supporters. An overwhelming majority are going to vote (D) come November.

It was the most obvious thing ever. Of course Sanders endorsed Clinton. Its either that or turn into the next Joe Lieberman who gets ostracized from his party for not falling in line.

These guys are full of s*** on the campaign trail. They all fall back into line when it is said and done.

The only shocking thing is how many Republicans are still refusing Trump, which makes me feel better about some of those guys having some morals.