2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 04:58 PM)
He doesn't really have skeletons in his closet.

Unless you consider support for Sandinistas in Nicaragua back in the 80's skeletons. I don't.

I mean relative to him.

The rape fantasy thing was pretty bad. And incorrectly identifying someone as Muslim just because they had brown skin. We made fun of Hillary for calling boba tea "chewy tea".

And while I don't care (because it isn't a big deal at all), if Hillary had a child out of wedlock we'd hear about it non-stop.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 10:14 PM)

I like that Hillary has lost some supporters, but you can't deny my scenario being the correct one. I wish people would see what I see. Republican convention: Coverage will mock Trump having a "winner's night" where coaches praise him and players. His speech will be mocked at best; at worst they'll point out he didn't appear "Presidential" and offended many people, etc. He'll drop a little in the polls right after the convention. Then the Democratic convention will be back to the normal type of convention. Exhilarating speeches in support of Hillary capped by what will be dubbed the greatest speech of all time: Hillary's accepting the nomination, humbly yet forcibly as the first woman's presidential candidate. She will be praised universally from all media and celebrities and that will be that. There will be no real negative coverage of Hillary to turn the tide leading up to November and her eight year cycle begins.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 08:58 PM)
When the media did mention Clinton, they usually accurately reported that she had more delegates and was more likely to win, which is what happened.

That's the point. There was a Bernie Phenomenon about to take off and the media wouldn't cooperate and wouldn't buy in. His victories were laughed off by the Chris Matthewses who said it does not matter; Hillary has too many superdelagates and is a runaway winner and it's inevitable. Had the media done what they usually do: nonstop covererage of red-hot Millenial favorite Bernie for a couple weeks I think he'd have carried the momentum into the convention. The media didn't want a split convention or convention drama; their story this time around is the coronation of Hillary Clinton and they are going to get what they want.

In four years when she runs for re-election, it'll be very boring as she might as well run unopposed. Why would anybody want to run against her and get stomped?

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 10:47 AM)
One of my Facebook friends linked this executive order with a hysterical description of how the Obama administration has blanket authorized drone strikes on U.S. citizens.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office...strike-measures

That's not what it says. An executive order almost never says what the person talking about it claims it says.

I bet you I could choose a random XO in the 13xxx series (hell, it doesn't even have to be one of Obama's, it's not like people will even notice) and say "This is terrifying! The Obama administration has ordered everyone's children to be transgender by 2019!" and people will share it on Facebook without reading it like they do everything else.

Marijuana contains "alien DNA" from outside our Solar System, NASA confirms

Asking Dana White was a no brainer and one of the speeches I'm most looking forward to. This is a guy who worked with Trump to take a company off its deathbed and then just turned it into the biggest sports sale in history this past weekend. He's extremely smart, timely/topical, charismatic, and will stand out in a sea of political speeches grabbing headlines where there wouldn't be any. They'd be incredibly stupid not to grab him.

Everyone is expecting Ivanka to steal the show. Hope she lives up to it. She's awesome.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

I'd ALMOST be willing to vote Trump if he named Ivanka as his VP and resigned after he was elected in January...so she could take his place.

She'll be 35 the week before the election.

Btw, looks like Tebow and some Lt. General Flynn will also be speaking. I guess, all things considered, it couldn't be worst than 90-95% of the canned political speeches typical of both parties over the last 20-30 years, with the keynote address getting most of the attention by political pundits.

Now they're saying Tebow is "just a rumor." Hmmm...wouldn't be much of a shocker, he's been outspoken about his conservative religious beliefs since entering the public sphere, and might want to explore a political career instead of a media one.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 03:43 AM)
Lol that rnc convention schedule.

Setting the tone for all the mocking of that convention you'll be hearing from the pundits. Man these 4 years went fast. I remember the same thing four years ago. Once they get that Republican convention out of the way ... let the partying begin with the Democratic convention!

BTW I listened to the most awesome youtube video yesterday. Somebody made a list of the 10 questions the ladies of The View asked Michele Obama last election campaign and compared them to the 10 they asked Romney's wife. LOL. They threw Obama's wife 10 softballs about her favorite forms of nature, living in such a big house, Barack's hobbies, etc. Then for Romney's wife they gunned her down. The first question was grilling her on abortion, Whoopi Goldberg had some long technical question about the economy and on and on. Amazing how divided our country is Democrat vs. Republican. Damn I wish there was a GOOD third party to shut up people in the Democrat party who have such an easy route to the White House cause of the liberal media and Hollywood.

Edited by greg775

Greg remember when michelle obama during the 08 nomination process when she was slandered as having a tape where she calls white people "Whitey"? When she was hammered for saying "for the first time of my life I was proud " of being an American speech? Was that not in the Youtube video?

NEW YORK — As he has prepared to be named the Republican nominee for president, Donald Trump has not read any biographies of presidents. He said he would like to someday.

He has no time to read, he said: “I never have. I’m always busy doing a lot. Now I’m more busy, I guess, than ever before.”

He said in a series of interviews that he does not need to read extensively because he reaches the right decisions “with very little knowledge other than the knowledge I [already] had, plus the words ‘common sense,’ because I have a lot of common sense and I have a lot of business ability.”

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 05:26 AM)
And for the next time anyone wants to say that its only Donald Trump who doesn't respect "sub-groups" and that it's totally not something their party would tolerate for decades, folks I give you Steve King (R-IA). This text is from the Washington Post but they won't let me insert a link, here's one with a video clip.

Unfortunately, Iowa is legitimately in play for Trump right now...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 06:26 AM)
And for the next time anyone wants to say that its only Donald Trump who doesn't respect "sub-groups" and that it's totally not something their party would tolerate for decades, folks I give you Steve King (R-IA). This text is from the Washington Post but they won't let me insert a link, here's one with a video clip.

Reminder that king is also the cantaloupe calves guy and has a confederate flag displayed on his desk.

I feel bad kind of not realizing this situation before it affected me, but I am floored by how insufficient the US parental leave and maternity policies are.

My wife last week found out that their company removed short-term disability from their benefits (they had laid off 20 or so employees in January that put them below the requirement in Chicago). So with 2 months to go, we find out we don't have 6 weeks pay we planned on.

Which would be fine if we hadn't decided not to switch jobs earlier because it would have meant receiving only 6 weeks guaranteed job safety (and no income).

I've been writing to congressman/senators but the Clinton plan on this really is something I'm hoping gets traction. But considering nobody bothers to cover any policy proposal of hers I'm guessing it gets nothing.

I don't honestly in my heart give a s*** about Melania Trump ripping off entire sections of Michelle Obama's speech, but god damn are the jokes funny. #FamousMelaniaTrumpQuotes is a gold mine on Twitter.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 09:49 AM)
I don't honestly in my heart give a s*** about Melania Trump ripping off entire sections of Michelle Obama's speech, but god damn are the jokes funny. #FamousMelaniaTrumpQuotes is a gold mine on Twitter.

I don't know that I don't "care", I think it is certainly a sign of the amateurism of the campaign. I mean...it's one thing to plagiarize, it's another to plagiarize another prospective first ladies speech at a convention, it's another one to plagiarize another prospective first ladies speech at a convention that was only 8 YEARS AGO, when there's only been 1 other since! Like, that's a very small pool you are going to be compared to.

But yeah, this one from Jessie Williams:

I, am Malcolm X #famousmelaniatrumpquotes had me rolling. Also the tweets where she keeps referencing her kids sasha and malia.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)
I don't know that I don't "care", I think it is certainly a sign of the amateurism of the campaign. I mean...it's one thing to plagiarize, it's another to plagiarize another prospective first ladies speech at a convention, it's another one to plagiarize another prospective first ladies speech at a convention that was only 8 YEARS AGO, when there's only been 1 other since! Like, that's a very small pool you are going to be compared to.

But yeah, this one from Jessie Williams:

I, am Malcolm X #famousmelaniatrumpquotes had me rolling. Also the tweets where she keeps referencing her kids sasha and malia.

"As a black woman at an Ivy League college in the 80s- wait, that's not right..."

For me, the funniest part is that the audience cheered and applauded Michelle's words because someone else was saying them. Melania Trump literally said she has the same values as the Obama family and got applause for it. Then they get on Twitter like "I like her so much better than chip-on-her-shoulder Moochelle"

"If you're really optimistic, you can say that this is the last time that old white people will command the Republican Party's attention, its platform, its public face," Pierce said. "That hall is wired," he continued. "That hall is wired by loud, unhappy, dissatisfied white people."

King objected.

"This 'old white people' business does get a little tired, Charlie," King said. "I'd ask you to go back through history and figure out, where are these contributions that have been made by these other categories of people that you're talking about, where did any other subgroup of people contribute more to civilization?"

"Than white people?" Hayes asked, clearly amazed.

"Than, than Western civilization itself," King replied. "It's rooted in Western Europe, Eastern Europe and the United States of America and every place where the footprint of Christianity settled the world. That's all of Western civilization."

The other panelists objected, with Hayes trying to keep the peace. Panelist April Ryan, who is black, asked, "What about Asia? What about Africa?"

"We're not going to argue the history of Western civilization," Hayes said. "Let me note for the record that if you're looking at the ledger of Western civilization, for every flourishing democracy, you have Hitler and Stalin as well."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 11:52 AM)

Mentioning Hitler here seems quite fitting.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 08:44 AM)
I feel bad kind of not realizing this situation before it affected me, but I am floored by how insufficient the US parental leave and maternity policies are.

My wife last week found out that their company removed short-term disability from their benefits (they had laid off 20 or so employees in January that put them below the requirement in Chicago). So with 2 months to go, we find out we don't have 6 weeks pay we planned on.

Which would be fine if we hadn't decided not to switch jobs earlier because it would have meant receiving only 6 weeks guaranteed job safety (and no income).

I've been writing to congressman/senators but the Clinton plan on this really is something I'm hoping gets traction. But considering nobody bothers to cover any policy proposal of hers I'm guessing it gets nothing.

Have you watched the latest Michael Moore documentary?