2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 03:42 PM)
Garbage candidate for garbage people

That's kind of a mean comment. I don't take offense to it but I've seen the "stop it" comment from mods before to posts such as that one.

A lot of Trump supporters aren't garbage people; they desperately want(ed) something different. Lot of people are sick of politics and think (thought) he was the guy to change things, an outsider. Unfortunately the outsider appears to have a lot of bad qualities and it's the wrong outsider. Just as a lot of people want a woman to finally be president only the problem is she is also the wrong woman.

Two horrific presidential candidates in 2016.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 03:59 PM)
That's kind of a mean comment. I don't take offense to it but I've seen the "stop it" comment from mods before to posts such as that one.

A lot of Trump supporters aren't garbage people; they desperately want(ed) something different. Lot of people are sick of politics and think (thought) he was the guy to change things, an outsider. Unfortunately the outsider appears to have a lot of bad qualities and it's the wrong outsider. Just as a lot of people want a woman to finally be president only the problem is she is also the wrong woman.

Two horrific presidential candidates in 2016.

Greg, seriously martyring yourself. That's not an edict that's saying "you will be banned if you don't stop", it's a "this is annoying and makes you look bad" stop.

At this point, I'm fine judging anyone that wants to elect a bombastic, racist, selfish, thin-skinned asshole.

Vote for Vermin Supreme or Gary Johnson if you're that desperate. No, people want to vote Trump because he's not politically correct meaning, it's cool for people to be racist.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 08:52 AM)
She also literally could not stop a man from donating to a PAC supporting her. That is why a constitutional amendment is required.

Remember when Trump was self funding his campaign but it turns out he is too poor to?

That's the whole point, but people can't see the forest for the trees.

The transcripts of that whole interview are ridiculous.

GS: You said you played golf with Bloomberg

DT: I never did. I don't think I did.

GS: You said you did in ...

DT: I hit the ball way farther than him. I hit it much farther.

(paraphrased)

STEPHANOPOULOS: Let's talk about Russia. You made a lot of headlines with Russia this week.

What exactly is your relationship with Vladimir Putin?

TRUMP: I have no relationship to -- with him. I have no relationship with him.

STEPHANOPOULOS: But if you have no relationship with Putin, then why did you say in 2013, I do have a relationship. In 2014, I spoke...

TRUMP: Because he has said nice things about me over the years. I remember years ago, he said something -- many years ago, he said something very nice about me. I said something good about him when Larry King was on. This was a long time ago. And I said he is a tough cookie or something to that effect.

He said something nice about me. This has been going on. We did "60 Minutes" together. By the way, not together-together, meaning he was probably shot in Moscow...

STEPHANOPOULOS: Well, he was in Moscow...

TRUMP: -- and I was shot in New York.

STEPHANOPOULOS: -- you were in New York. But that's the thing.

TRUMP: No, just so you understand, he said very nice things about me, but I have no relationship with him. I don't -- I've never met him.

STEPHANOPOULOS: Yet you said for three years, '13, '14 and '15, that you did have a relationship with him.

TRUMP: No, look, what -- what do you call a relationship?

I mean he treats me...

STEPHANOPOULOS: I'm asking you.

TRUMP: -- with great respect. I have no relationship with Putin. I don't think I've ever met him. I never met him. I don't think I've ever met him.

[...]

STEPHANOPOULOS: But a -- I just want to clear this up, because you did say on three different occasions you had a relationship with him. Now you say there is not.

TRUMP: Well, I don't know what it means by having a relationship. I mean he was saying very good things about me, but I don't have a relationship with him. I didn't meet him. I haven't spent time with him. I didn't have dinner with him. I didn't go hiking with him. I don't know -- and I wouldn't know him from Adam except I see his picture and I would know what he looks like.

So much of Trump's aura is being exposed as lies and bluster, he's just never been called on his bulls*** like this before. I think my favorite example was him inventing a Civil War battle that allegedly occurred on one of his golf courses.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
So much of Trump's aura is being exposed as lies and bluster, he's just never been called on his bulls*** like this before. I think my favorite example was him inventing a Civil War battle that allegedly occurred on one of his golf courses.

The larger problem is that people simply don't care. Trump is immune to fact-checking. Even if he's busted red-handed on the spot making a huge ass lie about something that's a big deal, his supporters will just go "but Hillary" and waste time with false equivalences.

Edited by Ezio Auditore

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 09:47 AM)
The larger problem is that people simply don't care. Trump is immune to fact-checking. Even if he's busted red-handed on the spot making a huge ass lie about something that's a big deal, his supporters will just go "but Hillary" and waste time with false equivalences.

Cause emails.

God job Trump, keep the Khan thing in the news, it's definitely good for you!

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

Mr. Khan, who does not know me, viciously attacked me from the stage of the DNC and is now all over T.V. doing the same - Nice!

6:10 AM - 1 Aug 2016

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

This story is not about Mr. Khan, who is all over the place doing interviews, but rather RADICAL ISLAMIC TERRORISM and the U.S. Get smart!

6:27 AM - 1 Aug 2016

Why does he seem to think "he doesn't even know me!" is a sensible response to what he said?

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 09:47 AM)

Hillary supporters are/would be the same. That's just where we are in 2016 as a country. Elections have become American Idol competitions. The truth doesn't matter, just how it's all presented.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)
God job Trump, keep the Khan thing in the news, it's definitely good for you!

Why does he seem to think "he doesn't even know me!" is a sensible response to what he said?

This really should be the nail in the coffin for the base of the Republican party supporting him. You don't mess with the military/dead soldiers.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 10:47 AM)
This really should be the nail in the coffin for the base of the Republican party supporting him. You don't mess with the military/dead soldiers.

Don't really think it will matter, most don't seem to care.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 11:47 AM)

This goes back to what I was just saying - Trump's supporters really don't care. You can see in their communities on the internet they've already made up a "he's actually a Muslim terrorist infiltrator" smear and have made themselves believe it. I noticed this really was a thing when Trump dissed John McCain. Normally, we would've been writing the political obituary of anyone who said that within 24 hours, no matter who they were, but then you read what Trump supporters were saying, and they were agreeing with him, calling McCain a loser, etc. Trump later said "Bush didn't keep us safe" and "the Iraq War was a disaster" which is straight-up Republican apostasy (the Democratic equivalent is probably saying something like "racism is a myth, I wish black people would stop complaining). Republicans tried to go after him on this, it barely left a mark, his numbers just went higher.

There is a ceiling for this type of stuff in the general election though and he's already reached it, and to the extent he actually has a strategy, it's to keep Hillary from scoring more points on him, which is why he's already trying to weasel his way out of the debates without looking like a coward.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 10:58 AM)
This goes back to what I was just saying - Trump's supporters really don't care. You can see in their communities on the internet they've already made up a "he's actually a Muslim terrorist infiltrator" smear and have made themselves believe it. I noticed this really was a thing when Trump dissed John McCain. Normally, we would've been writing the political obituary of anyone who said that within 24 hours, no matter who they were, but then you read what Trump supporters were saying, and they were agreeing with him, calling McCain a loser, etc. Trump later said "Bush didn't keep us safe" and "the Iraq War was a disaster" which is straight-up Republican apostasy (the Democratic equivalent is probably saying something like "racism is a myth, I wish black people would stop complaining). Republicans tried to go after him on this, it barely left a mark, his numbers just went higher.

There is a ceiling for this type of stuff in the general election though and he's already reached it, and to the extent he actually has a strategy, it's to keep Hillary from scoring more points on him, which is why he's already trying to weasel his way out of the debates without looking like a coward.

McCain issued a strongly worded statement today. However, he didn't actually rescind his endorsement of Trump. Earlier in the year, he said he just wanted Trump to apologize for his remarks about McCain's capture and torture in Vietnam. Trump instead bragged about how he went up 7 points in the polls after those statements; McCain still endorsed.